ectopics and hiatus hernia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Over 15 years I've had feeling of missed beats followed by a thump, but in last few monts this is a lot more frequent. I have been lover of strong good coffeeso have cut back from about 6 cups to 1 per day. I also have quite large hiatus hernia and wonder there is a link. Noticed in other bloggs that some link it with overeating and indigestion and I experience this a lot due to the hernia. I don't know whether to go for check again with dr as I had treadmill and ECG at beginning of this yearwhich revealed nothing. Find it strange that so many people do not get satisfactory investigation-one likes to know the cause and to know what can help. :roll:

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

your heart skips sound like premature contractions. Many people can l ive with them. When you start to feel dizzy, sick go get an ECG. you may have something wrong with the electric impulses in your haerat. I had 20,000 skipped beats in 24 hours before I was treated.
  • Posted

I genuinely do believe there is a link between a Hiatus & abnormal cardiac beats/rhythms...but getting the medical profession to pay any attention is so so frustratingly difficult ! I am not a medic but have worked in the health sector for 25 years. I started getting lots of odd beats a few years ago - I was tested, then told to ignore it as it was a benign condition. I could not ignore the problem & after much personal observation I realised that the onset of the beats correlates to posture & to food intake/digestion. I was told this was impossible (because the stomach & heart are separated by the diaphragm). I therefore concluded that I must have a Hiatus Hernia...& lo & behold, an endoscopy proved me right ! I did have a hiatus.....though lets be level headed here - it could statistically have been a lucky guess (hiatus' are quite common). I have since found Case Studies that cite hiatus or reflux as being the cause of atrial arrythimias (ie from the upper part of the heart). The mechanism is not clear ... but it does add to my belief that a hiatus could just possibly maybe sometimes under certain conditions be the cause of my ventricular palpitations. I have found no documented evidence offering any support on this theory at all, but given the treatment I have received (& I have all praise for the NHS medics) I am sure that no one in the overstretched public medical world is looking. The hiatus/cardiac association is assumed not to exist, therefore the patient must be wrong. I know what I feel every day in my chest & I do believe there is a case to be answered. I have many questions but can get few answers.

PS I went caffine-free for 1 year & it made no difference whatsoever.

• Posted

I Know this post is old but thought I would reply. I had an ECG at my local surgery about 6 weeks ago due to palpitations, and it showed I had ectopic beats. Then 2 weeks ago was taken into hospital with palpitations and chest pain. I was in the hospital for 10 day's having many tests and scans and the Ectopic beats was picked up again with the scans. I told one of the Dr's that I had an Hiatus Hernia and he said that can cause the palpitations. I was told after having an endoscopy last year that my hernia was mild so don't know if that makes any difference. I was sent home last week with Bisoprolol but still got the Ectopics. They are very uncomfortable and I feel breathless with them.     
    • Posted

Hi Meryl had exactly the same as you ectopic beats which got worse over time then led to chest pain and hospital. Am out now also on bisoprodil but still ectopic really uncomfortable especially at night. Was told by one doctor that ablation could help now another says does not work with palpitations .Getting really tired and fed up now so many tests and feel getting nowhere feels so horrible when getting symptoms but all doctors really say is don't worry won't kill you 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, sorry to hear that you are suffering too. I have had these ectopics for years on and off but only now had a diagnosis. Sometimes when they are bad I can't eat anything when they are playing up. Does the bisoprolol work for you? I find they lower my blood pressure even at the smallest dose and I feel weird when I stand up. When I was in hospital the cardiologist mentioned the ablation but said it was a bit drastic. I would have it done it can't be any worse than these dreadful palpitations/chest pain. I don't know where to go from here. I have to wait for a follow up appointment at the hospital but the cardiologist said it will be some time. The doctors don't know the suffering they cause. Sometimes the palpitations are much worse on some day's than others.

What type of chest pain are you getting? Mine is a heavy painful feeling but it is gone in a flash. As time goes on the chest pain is coming more frequent.

Merryl    

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I forgot to ask, do you suffer from breathlessness with the ectopics? This is the worse for me. I get breathless straight after the palpitation. I can feel it in the middle of my upper abdomen and it comes up into my chest and I feel very breathless, this is dreadful. I don't think I have come across anyone mentioning this on these sites. I am at the end of my tether now with all this going on.  
    • Posted

Hi Meryl yes I did get breathless with ectopic beats a and it is one of those horrible conditions which when you get a feeling in your heart which you are very aware of is very hard then not to feel anxious and make that feeling worse without meaning to. When I was taken into hospital 2. Months ago I started with the usual ectopic but they felt different then the pain started bang slap in the middle of my chest and yes my breathing went out of the window and people around say panic attack but having suffered those badly 12 years ago I know this was different as the symptoms initially were unbelievably scary. My brother died a year ago from a sudden heart attack very suddenly and unexpectedly and was a fit guy with no previous problems I on the other hand have had svt since 12 was diagnosed with over active thyroid 4months ago and now these ectopic so yes was and am worried when get a pain which I cannot control. 

Anyhow started low dose bisoprodil 4 weeks ago raised 2 weeks ago and saw my cardiologist yesterday who raised again and slowly getting less frequent I have just realised late for work as I initially wrote really good long reply and my phone cut off sad  Will finish off later as yesterday at doctors found out few things didn't know which could be of help to you but definitely bit of peace of mind Amanda x take care will be back wink

• Posted

Thank you, look forward to hearing from you. x
    • Posted

Hi Meryl back again sorry to cut short yesterday so engrossed in first mail lost track of time.

Anyhow 9.30 Saturday evening day down after dinner and bang ectopic back with a vengeance quite uncomfortable but I know I have to try and ignore and stay fairly calm and I can cope with them. The doctor put me on another dose of bisoprodil and he told me something that I have never heard before that the best thing to do is take some exercise like a short stroll or maybe doing housework as exercise  stops them and i have to be honest I make bespoke kitchens and do spraying and when i am very busy I don't notice them very much at all and as he said and we all know it is at rest when we are much more  aware of them he said if it was any other part of us internally having something go wrong we would not be so aware but because it is very easily felt internally and felt with our hands (which if you are aything like me i sit feeling my chest constantly sometimes when getting a lot ) we cannot seem to shift them.

Anyhow I am hoping this higher dose of bisoprodil will help will let you know.

I hope you are ok let me know more about yours and when you get them also I wonder with the digestion part as everyone else says I always get them way worse after eating like now x takecare

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I am sorry to hear about your brother. Did he have ectopic beats or something else and how old was he? What dose are you on now. I was on 2,5 but when I stand up (not every time)  I get a weird feeling in my head and tightness in the front of my neck and feel numb all over, I think it is my blood pressure going up. I have halved the tablet and that feels better and some days I don't get the E/beats for most of the day and other times they are niggling on and off all day. I have noticed I get them after eating too. I got a hiatus hernia and the Dr in the hospital said that can cause E/beats, I would'nt be surprised. I find when I burp after eating the beats clear until the next time I need to burp.

I received a letter yesterday from the hospital where I was a patient for an appointment to have a 48 hour monitor fitted. When I was in hospital I had the 24 hour monitor and another one which recorded everything my heart was doing and they could see it all in the cardiac ward. I had this on for 8 day's. Can't remember the name of it. I don't feel well in myself with all this going on. I am also waiting for a lung function test because of the breathlessness which I hate.

I have heard excercise is supposed to stop them but with the breathing problem I would be afraid to try it. I also get horrible chest pain on and off with movement but not as often as I get the E/beats. 

Hope you feel better soon on the higher dose. x       

• Posted

Hi Meryl my brother was 55 I am 47 but he had no problems with his heart just very sudden and very quick.

I think that is where people like us are in a better position as because we are being tested for problems and assessed carefully it is this close monitoring to prevent situations like my brother if that makes sense.

Your breathlessness could be something else and I have just thought of something just before I was diagnosed with over active thyroid one of my symptoms was real breathlessness and I thought this was linked to my ectopic but 2 months on and steady rises in thyroid medication I have realised that this has subsided..

My bisoprodil was started on 2.5 then upped to 3.75 now I am taking 5 and I do think it is slowly helping as you say it just takes a while for the dizziness to stop but as your body gets used to this in your system it should settle down everything takes time when we have not had it before . The thyroid drug I take gave me really weird feelings but now nothing at all.

Maybe ask your doctor for blood tests just to check your thyroid is ok as we initially thought the ectopic were thyroid as you get palpitations as a side effect t.

Again I hope to hear from you again out of curiosity are you as ancient as me lol wink 

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 3 years ago and I am on thyroxine. I had a blood test while in the hospital and it was normal. I have been reading on this site about people feeling breathless on Bisoprolol. I don't know if this is the cause of my breathing problem. I was having breathing problems before I started taking them but the meds could be making it worse. I got a telephone appointment this Friday with my Dr so will ask him about it.

I am more ancient than you, you are still young. How are you getting on with the higher dose? Is your meds the same as mine, Bisoprolol, because yours is spelt different. Did you have any scans/monitors when you was in hospital and how long did you stay in for?   

• Posted

Hi Meryl drug is same as you I have bad spelling lol.

My dose seems to be working ok am not getting breathless at all and funny enough although quite a high dose no light handedness thank goodness.

I always believe we know our own bodies best and if we have to keep chasing the doctors for answers that's what we should do, I don't really think any of us would want to keep having blood tests and checks for no reason,

Was in hospital for 3 days tonnes tests and scans and still more to come have also to see endocrinologist yet as no idea what's happening with thyroid and the meds they have given me.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, Good to hear that the dose is working. I am on 2.5 but can still feel faint beats now and again. The breathlessness is the worse for me. I wonder if anything will show up on the lung function test when I have it done. I seem to get contractions in my upper chest that's the only way I can describe them and this makes me feel breathless as well. Do you get this?

I am on a low dose of thyroxine but still get tired. When I was in hospital I had a blood test which came back normal, so it must be the right dose. I am lucky I don't need to work if I did I would'nt be able to cope with it. I think having an hiatus hernia does'nt help the situation either. One of the Dr's at the hospital said hiatus hernia can cause these E/beats.

I think I mentioned before that I have a telephone appointment with my Dr tomorrow, so will ask him for the results again for the hiatus hernia. I have had this for years and it can get worse over time. Take care.  

• Posted

Hi Amanda, my Dr did'nt say anything much different to the hospital really. I have an appointment next Monday to have the 48 hour heart monitor. Have you had one of these? I had the 24 hour when I was in hospital so don't know why I need the 48 hour as well. Hope you are feeling well x 
    • Posted

Hi,  I am a daily ectopic sufferer and they are especially bad at night.  Have been to the doctor many times for these. Do not waste your time trying to cure with an ablation as it did not cure my ectopics but did cure my SVT.  It is wonderful for the heart not to race over 200 bpm now.  Life style changes will help your ectopics and curing the gut 1st is the secret.  This may be trying gluten free or dairy free...........keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.