ectopics and hiatus hernia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Over 15 years I've had feeling of missed beats followed by a thump, but in last few monts this is a lot more frequent. I have been lover of strong good coffeeso have cut back from about 6 cups to 1 per day. I also have quite large hiatus hernia and wonder there is a link. Noticed in other bloggs that some link it with overeating and indigestion and I experience this a lot due to the hernia. I don't know whether to go for check again with dr as I had treadmill and ECG at beginning of this yearwhich revealed nothing. Find it strange that so many people do not get satisfactory investigation-one likes to know the cause and to know what can help. :roll:

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know this is an old lead and hope I can reply to it still. Your posts are great. I have had ectopics for many years now, but recently they have been more regular, and seem to be more so after eating. I've been so careful with what I eat, following a more Alkaline food plan and attempting to cut down on acid. I hardly eat any added sugar products, and I've practiced proper breathing, which has helped. I have recently been diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia, but it's only online that I've been able to see from others comments that this condition can cause palpitations. These are so scary. I've had my heart checked out and doctors say it's fine, and that they see no link between the HH and these palpitations, so seeing others post on here is really helpful. Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I reckon there are lots of people suffering with this who don't post but get some comfort knowing they are not alone. Lizzieozkiwi
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I was diagnosed with ectopic beats last year but had them for years. I saw my cardiologist 4 weeks ago and told her about eating and the palpitations and she said in that case there could be something wrong with the AV NODE and to do with the stomach. She said if that is right I could have the Ablation and is should work for me. I am having a 24 hr heart monitor at the end of this month and 2 days later I am having a 5 day monitor and after that I am having an Echocardiogram. I had all these done last year while in hospital for 10 days but she wants me to have them again to make sure. My heart is fine too and I had an angiogram 4 years ago and that was clear. I also have a small hiatus hernia and was told by another Dr that this can cause palpitations.    

• Posted

Hi there Merryl, you sound like me. When they told me I had Gastritis (mild) I googled that, it causes general discomfort including stomach burning during the night or between meals - and I've had those symptons now on and off for years. The article said that for a lot of people this can be caused by too acidic a diet. Now this makes sense, because I've always thought eating yoghurt, dairy food, custard etc, would settle my stomach. But I've found that these foods are alkaline before they go into our tummies, but acidic once they are there. Interesting, I've been taking in more acidic food to fix my upset tum and not doing myself any favours. I've downloaded lots of info about alkaline foods versus acidic foods, and of course although balance is the key, we really need to eat more alkaline foods, at least those of us with gastric upsets. My upset tum and ectopics or short runs of palps have been much worse for the last month, and since I've had the heart checks and they are all okay,I feel this is caused by my gastritis etc. So, I'm trying the alkaline way, also seeing my Dr today to see if they can give me something other than gas reducing tablets like Gaviscon or Gas Soothe to settle my tum. Like everyone I don't like taking these but I need a hand to get back to some sort of balance, then hopefully when gastric stuff settles, the heart "blips" will too. I don't worry about the odd ectopics, but right now they are a lot more often and get me a bit uptight. I'm interested to see how you go, and wish you all the best with it. Sounds like we have very similar problems. I'm 65, regards Lizzie
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie, I have been taking Lansoprazole for over 10 years and find that when I get heartburn the tablets don't take long for it to go away. I try to take them every other day rather than every day. I have tried Gaviscon but it is not as good as Lansoprazole for heartburn. I should try and change my diet to see if it helps but I will have the heart monitors done first to see if the AV NODE is causing the problem. The worse palps I get are when the beat takes too long to come back and I feel winded, this makes me feel unwell.That is why the cardiologist think the A V node of the heart is causing this. What meds did the Dr give you yesterday? I am 68. Let me know how you get on.      
    • Posted

Hi again. We all react in different ways to medicines, I will mention the Lansoprazole next time I go to my doctor. He said he has had no experience with flutters/ectopics after eating which I find strange because it's so well recorded on sites like this. He's a great doctor though and is very thorough so I'm relaxed about it all. Right now, my tummy is so upset and has been much worse than usual for the last month, and so my heart flips have been too. I'm taking a speciman in this morning to the laboratory and they will check for gut bacteria, I have my fingers crossed that they find I have some sort of nasty bug there which is causing the problems to be worse now. I have IBS but have lived quite comfortably with it as long as I am careful what I eat. And like everyone, I do have something as a "treat" a couple of times a week, I hate the idea of giving up things I enjoy like this, how boring life will be if I can't give in and have a cream filled, icing covered, fattening cake now and then, lol....I'm without computer access over the weekend but if you are interested I will let you know the results next week. Stomach/bowel bugs are common and can be nasty, causing all sorts of other stuff. I do know that when my tum is upset, I get more heart flips,  and I believe a lot of us are similarly affected. When will the medical profession connect up the dots? bless them they do a great job and it seems their days are overloaded, but, I just wish we could get it all sorted.
  • Posted

Hello fellow sufferers,

I cannot tell you how wondeful it is to hear you all as I share so many of your symptoms! Sorry if I am repeating myself, but my 3 year struggle has had it's ups and downs. But I must say, hearing you all has helped me more than anything else and I thank the Patient Forum authors.

When I 1st started these ectopics, I felt my life was surely over. They kept me up every night at 1st. Since I had success with an ablation with my SVT, I signed up for another one to cure the ectopics, but it did nothing! Maybe the future will be different. Ablations are no picnic (mine anyhow but some report no big deal).

There is a definite link with the gut and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are lots of books that say once you get the gut under control, all else will follow.  Trial and error. My ectopcis are much better as I noted what set them off.. cetrtain.foods,overeating or late, eating late, stress, breathing improperly etc. I do drink 1 cup of coffee in the am and a little wine now and then, it's OK.  There was a man that posted he found relief with the natural version of the ingredients in Xanax? If anyone can help me find the post or he is reading this, please post again as it was hope for a cure.  Thank-you all for sharing as I hope I can ease the fear of just one person as you have all done for me.  Sorry so long.

• Posted

Hi there. I was diagnosed with ectopic beats in 1993 and was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia which I belive was small but I did suffer with heartburn symptoms for about 3 months before being diagnosed. The ectopic beats come and go and I've generally learned to deal with them. In 2005 I was prescribed with 15 mg a day if lansaprozale which I've pretty well tolerated and has prevented my heartburn symptoms. Just by accident one day last week I noticed on the side affects leaflet that they now belive there is a possible link to ppi and low magnesium levels in the body which can cause muscle twitches and heart issues. Now I have been suffering with these muscle twitches on and of for about the same time that ive been on the ppi. So there's every likelihood that I've been walking around with low magnesium levels since 2005. I'm currently waiting to see the doctor to discuss this. Could it be that  the eptooic beats and palpitations etc are caused by the hernia? My hernia could of been present all that time and only then started showing symptoms in 2004 and then the ppi are actually making heart symptoms worse with the magnesium levels. I would advise everyone who has been on ppi long term to get this checked out.
  • Posted

Very interesting the ppi and low magnesium relationship.  Thanks for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.