Effect of diet on rheumatoid arthritis symptoms

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, I'm a medical student currently doing some research into the effect of diet on rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.

I became interested in this subject after a family friend (who has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis) told me that certain foods cause flare-ups in her condition.

From the research I have conducted so far it appears that many sources recommend a Meditteranean-style diet (rich in fruit, vegetables, fish oils, nuts etc.) or a gluten-free vegan diet. However, results from these studies is variable.

I wondered whether any of you have had personal experiences (either as a patient or professional) in experimenting with changes in diet (either excluding or incorporating certain foods or food groups) and whether this has had a positive or negative effect on rheumatoid arthritis symptoms?

Thank you so much for your help - it is greatly appreciated!

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would recommend the book Win the War Within by Floyd H Chilton PH.d with Laura Tucker - I followed his diet - reduce sugar intake, no farmed or organic salmon - stick to the tinned atlantic salmon and it worked for me within 10 days.  I have lapsed though and suffer for it.

Really glad to see you are interested.

• Posted

I have been on a gluten-free, dairy-free, nightshade-free, grain-free, legume-free diet since a few months after I got my RA diagnosis around 1 year ago. After around 6 months if the diet (I also take pro-biotics, vitamins and some other supplements), I felt so much better. The fatigue is gone (it was really bad), the pain is mostly gone (only comes if I have a stressful few days and then it goes if I take it really easy again). I am not taking any of the drugs apart from Low-Dose-Naltrexone which is an alternative treatment with no side effects. It's been a miracle. I was in terrible pain, unable to move or sleep, life was unbearable. Now I'm working full time, being very careful with myself. doing some gentle exercise and almost back to normal. Of course I miss the occasional do-nut but it's worth it to have my life back!
    • Posted

Hi I was wondering what does your diet constist of? Seems like there is not much left to eliminate? I have eliminated red meat chicken and dairy and see some relief in the symptoms. But would really like to know how are you doing now since the post was from over a year ago. Thank you in advance hope you are feeling great. biggrin

• Posted

Well done could I ask what I eat on a typical day it's choice I find hard what can I eat?

• Posted

I cut out gluten, dairy, nightshades, grains and legumes to see if it made any difference, the idea then was to introduce each one seperately to see which food, if any, made a difference.   Unfortunately it didn't make any difference at all.   Admitedly I was on on this diet for a month so perhaps the time was too short; but, it was all I could stand.  The only food I found that helped was turmeric.   Turmeric helped greatly, particularly in weening off prednisone, but alas the effect was short lived.   Bottom line, everyone is different: some foods affect some people but not all.   I suspect the severity of RA has a bearing on what works and what doesn't.   I'm in the unfortunate group who has severe RA, in the 16 months I have sufferred this disease none of the RA meds I have tried have helped.

• Posted

I tried a gluten-free diet and I can't say I noticed much difference at all.

I did Atkins for a short while (NOT for the RA, obviously) and felt loads better on that. Until I got kidney problems. I thought the improvement in symptoms could be down to either weight loss (duh) or possibly eating a lot of salmon and omega-3-rich eggs, but I'm generally skeptical. 

I find very high sugar foods (sweets, basically) cause low-grade flares. And for some reason, pastry. Which is weird because the gluten-free diet didn't help and I don't find butter a problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.