Effect of Prednisolone on abrasions and bruises

Posted , 12 users are following.

After six months on prednisolone, currently 12 mg daily, I am finally beginning to notice some side effects.  Playing plenty of tennis and badminton and running in the bush, damage to the skin of one sort or another is inevitable.  In the past, the damage was unremarkable and healing was swift.  Not so now!   

Even small bruises are leaving unsightly, purple, bleeding patches under the skin.  Does this issue recede as the prednisolone dose drops below 10 mg?

Abrasions are more of a problem because the last two came very close to infection a week after injury, with large halo of red and wrinkled skin spreading out from the wound.  Following internet advice, meticulously, the second wound seems finally to be healing.  Infection is a particular concern because I have good reason to avoid antibiotics.

Any helpful experience or suggestions?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Keeping your skin well moisturised will help a bit - my skin is still good even after over 8 years of pred: I NEVER use soap products (anything that foams strips the natural oils and makes it more delicate). I did have a few of the purple patches for a long time but they are much better now I'm below 10mg again - they are called petechiae or purpura, depending on the size, and are due to the capillaries in the top layer of the skin becoming more delicate and leaking.

Covering up is as good a way of protecting your skin as any - can't think of any other option really.

• Posted

I have used moisturiser ever since I read research a couple of years ago, but moisturiser is useless on an open wound that won't heal.  I'll go easy on the soap in future.

• Posted

No - tends to be a prevention rather than cure situation. There are special dressings for delicate skin which ight help.
    • Posted

Moisturiser provides much more than prevention!  Research among the elderly showed moisturiser leads to faster and more satisfactory healing of skin injury, once a scab has formed..The tears or cracking so common in healing scabs is mostly eliminated.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/wound-care/5391274

• Posted

How very interesting - now I would have said that from a degree of logic but would never have claimed it. Nice to see medical opinion concurring!
    • Posted

This reminds me, as a child I was at a friend's house suffering with a very uncomfortable tight scab and the friend's father, a doctor, told me to put vaseline on it!  Have to say it was very helpful, although I don't know if vaseline would be the best idea for old woman me.  

• Posted

I know what you are talking about. Short answer is - no it does not go away even at 4 or 5mg. It seems that skin is thin and very easy to scratch. The only way I found to minimize the damage is to wear long sleeves and long pants to protect skin. And even then, it happens. And yes, the healing takes longer and requires immediate attention, cleaning the area and applying some sort of disinfectant to prevent infection. Remember, you immune system is dormant and cannot fight infections like before. It seems that it is getting better now that I am at 3-3.5mg.
    • Posted

The internet advocates cleaning the wound with soap and copious water.  Applying an antibiotic cream seems debatable.
  • Posted

I get purpura, purple patches, although it is not so bad at a lower dose of 5mg. 
  • Posted

Joydeck, the amount and the density of bruises and breaks in the skin have lessened as my Prednisone dosage have decrease. The back of my hands were purple at one point and today most normal. Down to 8 mg tapering to 7.5. Good luck on the rest of your journey. Think positive and try to smile. Smiling ☺️
    • Posted

Good to hear although others are less encouraging on skin damage.
  • Posted

I'll begin with the good news. 

I have had two bouts of PMR and altogether eight years of Pred. but it is more than four and a half years since taking my last dose and if there are any side effects I am not aware of them.

On the whole I was fairly fortunate re side effects. BP was raised ( up to 190/90... something ) and VERY fragile skin which was a pain in both senses as I'm an enthusiastic gardener and it seemed if I even passed a blade of grass I bruised; if I contacted anything solid I tore. 

No infections resulted and  I took care to always wear long sleeves when outdoors. i'm a good healer and just made sure to keep damaged areas clean and used just old fashioned Germolene. to sooth.

My skin did not return to normal quickly. I'd guess about two years after my last dose of Pred. I'm afraid that even on low doses the skin was still very fragile but it DID heal. BP also fine now but, again it took its time.

Hope all goes well for you and remember, " Patience is a virtue, find it if you can; seldom found in women, never found in man. ( apologies gents for quoting one of my mum's favourite sayings. )

• Posted

I like to think I'm an exceptionally patient man.

As for nasty infections, I am now taping wounds when I play tennis, thrice a week, on clay surfaces.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

Tell me about it! Had to stop handshakes (I play petanque) after all games. High fives were safer. It became quite amusing to discover rivulets of blood under the skin and bruising when I couldn't even remember any bumps or scrapes. Fortunately, these disappeared nearly as quickly as they appeared. Now, nearly over prednisone, skin is thicker, no more bruises or raised blood blisters! 

• Posted

Yes, even the slightest bump on the back of my hands stains and lasts several days.  Hoping for better days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.