Effect of Prednisolone on abrasions and bruises

Posted , 12 users are following.

After six months on prednisolone, currently 12 mg daily, I am finally beginning to notice some side effects.  Playing plenty of tennis and badminton and running in the bush, damage to the skin of one sort or another is inevitable.  In the past, the damage was unremarkable and healing was swift.  Not so now!   

Even small bruises are leaving unsightly, purple, bleeding patches under the skin.  Does this issue recede as the prednisolone dose drops below 10 mg?

Abrasions are more of a problem because the last two came very close to infection a week after injury, with large halo of red and wrinkled skin spreading out from the wound.  Following internet advice, meticulously, the second wound seems finally to be healing.  Infection is a particular concern because I have good reason to avoid antibiotics.

Any helpful experience or suggestions?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Go slowly when heading into a bush.wink I always look like I have been in a fight when I come in after a little gardening. Long sleeves and gloves may save me a little, but not a lot. I am down to 8mg now, but skin is still fragile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.