Effects of citalopram 20 mg

Posted , 44 users are following.

I have felt tired, sometimes light headed, agitated and I sweat a little bit at night.

I find it difficult to get to sleep as my mind is often with many thoughts such as \"Am I doing the right choice in going to volunteer outside of London?\"

Also I wonder if I am taking the correct medicine for anxiety.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am now on day 38 of Citalopram 20 mg. Sweating like mad today which is new.

I was wondering, I have been taking it first thing in the morning around 8:00 AM. I find by the end of the work day, say around 6:00 pm I need to nap and missing out on getting together with friends or going to the gym. Has this happened to anyone else? I am wondering if I should start taking it around 5:00 pm instead and would appreciate the groups' thoughts.

• Posted

I take Celexa 20mg. For about the first 2-3 months of starting Celexa, I was so tired I didn't think I could stand it. Luckily I wasn't working because I was taking a few naps a day. I asked the doctor to take me off of it and he wouldn't. I also yawned over and over. After those first few months, I started feeling better. The doctor told me that the medicine was making me tired because it was relaxing me. My body and my brain was not use to relaxing. I slept so sound for the first time in years. I have been on it since June 2012 and now wish I had started taking it sooner. I fought taking depression medicine for years until I couldn't take it anymore and my friends were worried about me. Life still has it's hard times, but I know I couldn't handle it just yet without this medicine.

About the sweating, it says in the pamplet that comes with Celexa it may help with hot flashes. I am 52 and really do have hot flashes and I think this medicine in helping with that. Re-read your pamplet and see it sweating is a side effect of this medicine. God Bless you and everyone who is suffering from depression. No one understand unless you have been there.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your words of wisdom, you made me feel much better after ready your post as I'm in a similar situation Just started I'm the medication and it's been bad but because of everyone's help and advice I was able to tell myself that this will pass . The bad nights sleep will ease soon .

Thankyou x

• Posted

I've been taking this drug for 3 weeks now, almost, and only occasionally have a bad night. As I was forced to take this medication after detoxing as an involuntary inpatient at the local hospital, I do not feel that my free will was respected. I was not depressed, merely acclimatising to the novel sensation of being drug and alcohol free after almost 15 years of serious abuse. I am now 36 days sober and straight, but am quite mad, because I have only recently done some reading into the effects of COMING OFF this drug. 20mg. I WAS resolved to being on it for 6 months, but today have decided that I will not risk my sanity, long term health and the self respect I have recently gained by being and staying STRAIGHT for almost 5 weeks. I'm sure that it is a good medication if you need help to claw your way out of the depths of depression, and wish all of you luck and good health in your individual journeys.

No longer willing to be locked in,

Loxxed_in smile

• Posted

I am taking this medicine citalopam 20 from three months , recently I feel uncomfortable , like itching on body, unusual heart beat, dizziness, continuous thoughts with related my life I am unable to stop thinking and concentration what I am doing, please suggest me what to do?
  • Posted

yeah ive been on these tablets for a while, the beginning of the treatment can be really horrible, but the doctor says to keep taking them for at least 2 weeks, and if the side affects don't change then the medication is probably not for you, but dont just stop taking them, without consulting your doctor, i made that mistake thought i was ok, and took a turn for the worst.. very suicidal! but im fine again now, thanks to these tablets.. good luck god bless
  • Posted

I started taking Cit 20mg on the 16th December 2013 and had 4 weeks off work. I felt very relaxed and spaced the first few days which I found really nice as I was taking it for stress. My sleep didn't get any better and I had similar symptoms whereby I couldn't get to sleep and would wake up in the night and then have light fitful sleep. The first week I did get some anxiety and wanted to stay home and not be out much. I've had night sweats on and off, dry mouth but only at the beginning and I've just started getting random itches on my body. The night sweats are more annoying than anything and the itching is a bit maddening. My sleep is not great but I did have two nights where I slept through. By the end of the 3rd week off work and on Citalopram, I started feeling like I could think about doing something and I started to write a list of small things I could do like book a dentist appointment. My first week back at work was terrifying and I ended up in tears in the car park and went home again on my first day. I felt very fragile and worried I would get overwhelmed but work were lovely and my friends were supportive. My mood this week has been good and I feel almost like my old self. My sleep is not good but I'm trying to establish a pattern whereby I starting winding down earlier, no caffeine after lunch and reading before bed. I wish I had asked for help earlier as October and November last year were a dark place for me. I'm glad that I started taking the tablets and hopefully I will slowly cut them down in the next few months when I feel like I can cope better with things.
  • Posted

I have been on 20mg Citalopram now for 2 weeks after being on 30mg Mitrapazine.

So far I have lost my appetite, losing around 6lbs, I have pain in my jaw, Stomach ache, nausea and feeling faint/tired. I am hoping things get better , as even though the main reason of my depression ( work ) is no longer an issue. I just want to get back to normal.

No depression, No Anxiety and my life back. I shall give it another few weeks but there is only so much a person can take

• Posted

Hi my son was on citalopram 10mg for 2 week increased to 20mg.He is not sleeping having terrible sweats and being sick.spend all his time in his room.not interested in anything and hardly talks really worried about him.He is attending a counsillor but he wont talk about how he's feeling can anyone tell me what to do next to help him

• Posted

Hi, I just wanted to say i have been on citalopram for years 30mg, and although i have a few weeks a year

that i call bad days where i experience high anxiety , i hold down a full time job and take those weeks for

what they are (after all ever everyone has bad days) dont get me wrong when you panic its dreadful, but in

the whole i have no qualms on being on this medication for the rest of my life. So many people these days need a little help, life moves so fast, but one thing i am sure of , is there is nothing to be ashamed of having to take these

tablets, i had a colleague who was not coping on 20mg, so i suggested going to the doctors to increase it,

since then she has not looked back and able to move on with her life.

The more you talk about it , the more you realise how common this is.

• Posted

Everytor prescribed these to me. To be honest I.haven't.taken these, I'm to scared, but I.can't keep feeling the way I do. Sweating in the face, panicking, constant worry of losing my job, paranoid thinking Everyone is judging me. My thoughts are so Loud.
    • Posted

Being scared of life has to be worse than giving this medication a go. I've been on them for 2 months and am starting to feel human and dare I say a little bit " normal" it's worth a shot
  • Posted

I take citalopram 20mg and I have found it makes me feel like a Zombie, I cannot think about what I want to do. I cannot focus or motivate myself and I feel sleepy most of the time. I have been thinking of asking my doctor to take me off the pills and refer me to a counsellor for some sort of therapy because my mind feels so numb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.