Effexor Withdrawal Day One

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been changing medications from Venlafaxine (75mg twice a day) which I’ve been on for 3 years, to Citalopram 20mg. My doctor advised me to take both at full dose for the first 4 days, then only my morning dose for the following 3. Today is the first day on just Citalopram. I am getting side effects that for so long I thought were part of my anxiety and depression. The “brain zaps” & dizziness, distraction, lack of focus. But I only got them at certain times of day, and they’d go away with my next dose, now I’m realising they were withdrawal I’m wondering whether maybe other aspects of what I thought were symptoms were my medication. 

Either way despite the crazy dreams, loss of appetite, brain zaps and dizziness aside I think I’m on a good path. Does anyone have some tips or suggestions? Words of support? Reading other posts is one of the few things stopping me from feeling I’m going crazy! 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Tasmin. I’m no expert but try drinking lots of water and try good omega3 supplements. People in here have said they helped them!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks John, omega 3 it is! I’m trying the cetirizine hydrochloride as well, which I saw suggested somewhere else. At least I won’t get allergies? 😂

• Posted

I’ve also tried those Tas. My Zaps are not as bad as they were. Hopefully they will be gone by next week. One can only hope!!!!

• Posted

I’m down from 150mgdown to 37.5mg and feeling absolutely horrible dizzy nauseous and brain zaps in the morning until I take the 37.5mg it’s horrible I want to get off these drugs but am so scared to go down to 0 the side effects are horrible.

But if I’m getting them now I might as well be on 0mg 

I’m seeing my doc today to see what to do.

Why are you off the venlafaxine?

I used to be on fluoxetine and never had the side effects I have with venlafaxine 

• Posted

I’m coming off it because it didn’t seem to be helping any more, I’m not sure if ever really did to be honest. But I’ve jut moved back to the UK and I have a super supportive partner and my family are here so I figured this was the best time to take the plunge and make a change. I really hope you your doctor can help, it’s awful. So difficult to describe the feeling to someone who hasn’t felt it before too. It can make you feel so alone.

Trying to make sure they know you’re feeling bad but not so bad they think you’re crazy is a fine line 😂 

• Posted

Hey Tas. Incorporate a brisk daily walk in ur days activities also
  • Posted

I think your doctor made mistake. You took double the level of antidepressants you normally take for 4 days?. I just changed opposite way. Had a slow reduction in one, with a slow introduction of the other over 4 weeks. You should settle down, but in addition to switching which causes issues, you had twice the level of anti depressants for 4 days which would give you issues on top. Havent come across that type of switch before. Seems odd. Looks like you got over the switch so you should be fine.
    • Posted

How long since you switched,?
    • Posted

I think he was trying to avoid a plummet in my depression because I’m working a lot and can’t afford to be completely inactive. But yeah I see what you mean. I’m doing okay, but not great. Could really have done with space to just see what feelings and side effects are coming off the Venlafaxine and what’s the Citalopram too. It doesn’t help that all of my prescriptions and assessments have been done by GP’s. I’d love to really have an in depth chat with a psychiatrist or psychologist about all of this but between the change in countries and the length of the waiting lists it’s so difficult to get anywhere. 
  • Posted

It's been many years since I've been on Effexor.  I was on it for a few years, so it must have worked.  I decided to get off of it, since I no longer wanted the flat, lifeless feeling.  Anyway, my withdrawal was HORRIBLE.  At first my doctor was rather cavalier, recommending to half it (or something similar).  The withdrawal was so horrible for me that ultimately my doctor had to write out a day by day schedule to withdraw.  At the end I was taking 1/4 pill of a very low dose every 3rd day.  I think it took me about 3 months to withdraw.  I don't think I got any brain zaps, but everything else was awful.  Good luck. As a side note, I'm finding that I need an antidepressant again, and while this worked, I'm wary of the withdrawal.  

• Posted

I’m so sorry you had to go through that, my doctor started by halting my dose and as it wasn’t slow release I started to feel it immediately. I’ve been very lucky to have a supportive work place, boss, partner and family nearby who have helped me out immensely. I’m starting to feel better but I think a lot of that is the Citalopram. 

I’ve been feeling a bit manic and panicky but not having to hide it from everyone is helping and lots of water, light exercise, cetirizine hydrochloride and omega three is helping too. 

Maybe discuss other options with your doctor if you find you need the support again. There’s no quick fix, but it would be difficult to imagine recovery followed by the withdrawal again. It’s enougb to make you doubt the progress you’ve made at times! 

• Posted

What day are you on now and what mg???
    • Posted

Carl, I’m on zero mg of Effexor now. Have been for four days. It’s been no picnic and I really think my Dr shouldn’t have been so cavalier but it’s improving now. 

The Citalopram seems to be having a positive effect at least. 

• Posted

That’s good I’m going 0mg very soon I hope I start feeling better 😥

• Posted

So were you taking Citalopram with Effexor for a while ? What mg ? For how long ?
    • Posted

4 days I was on both. For me it mostly feels like I’m late with a dose of Venlafaxine. 

Try and be honest with your friends and loved ones, if you’re not trying to hide the side effects then they’re easier to deal with. The cetirizine hydrochloride helped my zaps and really cold water helps me feel grounded. Exercise and omega 3 helps me feel prepared. 

I wish you all the best, it might feel like you’re sliding backwards for a little but keep faith where you can. You’re not alone 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.