Effexor XR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried Effexor xr 75 for hot flashes and anxiety? My Dr prescribed it to me today to try to help with some of my peri issues, I didnt want to go on HRT. Please let me know your experience with this!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't do well on it, it knocked me out where I slept for 2 days. It is rx for women with surgerical breast cancer, and now for peri-menopause.  Look online for side effects and decide whether you want to take it or not. Good luck with it.

• Posted

An antidepressant for hotflashs and anxiety?  

Have you tried maca root for peri symptoms?  

Magnesium for anxiety and heart skips??

I would exhaust other safer methods before letting a doctor perscribe an antidepressant?  Is there any evidence that an antidepressant helps with symptoms?  Even a detox would be helpful.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply...she said that this drug has been used with success for hot flashes and the anxiety that accompanies peri. I do use magnesium, I have not tried maca..I think I remember reading you should not use it if you have high blood pressure, is that right? I hate to take pills of any kind, but these hot flashes and anxiety are making me feel like I am losing my mind..I feel desperate for relief! smile

• Posted

I am sure you are looking for relief.  If you have tried all others...

I have not read there is a problem with maca for those who have high BP. I have to look that up.   

I hope you get some relief.  I revamped my diet.  I take flax seed oil, brewer's yeast, pumpkin seed oil.  I cut out caffine, pop, excess sugar,  processed foods.  And I get exercise.  

• Posted

You are correct maca could increase your high BP.  Its not for you.   
  • Posted

If you can't use Macca then try Sage, I hear a lot of women get relief from it.

• Posted

What is really disappointing is that there have been so many medications, herbs, and vitamins recommendations from so many women on this forum and everyone is different and could be a long road of trial and error before any of us find what works for ussad

• Posted

Every body is different what works for some won't work for others. I would in a heartbeat take the HRT over the effexor only because I experienced first hand what it can do if you have a bad reaction to it. Herbs work, I took St. John's wort and that worked for me and it worked right away because i was eating a clean healthy diet. Vitamin D also worked to keep my mood in good spirits and a multivitamin. They say Magnesium helps with anxiety, i found St. John's wort took away my anxiety and my hot flashes too.

• Posted

Hi Lori...i too got prescribed this by my doctor as she didnt want me on hrt due to heart disease in my family and i have high cholesterol....because of the increased risk of clotting.

My main symtoms were hot sweats and bad anxiety and flat moods.

I was scared off taking it as I heard it can have bad side effects and also be hard to come off. I was in the process of eating better and cutting out sugar and coffee. It took about 3 months but I have noticed a big improvement. I have no sweats and the anxiety is just a twinge now and again.

I also take magnesium and fish oil.

I know I may get worse again as I am only 48 and have years to go but at the moment it seems to be working...fingers crossed.

I am not against antidepressants....i took prothiaden years ago for pnd....but am saving it as a last resort. You just have to try different things until you find what works....good luck x

• Posted

Effexor was WONDERFUL!  It stopped my hot flashes by the second day of taking it. I was having hot flashes 24/7 and I couldn't take hormones,   The only negative thing I can say is when I weaned myself off. I don't do drugs, but I felt like a drug addict trying to stop taking it.  It took me weeks to slowly cut my dose. It could be because I took it for years.  Even though it was hardgetting off, it was worth taking to stop the hot flashes.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.