Ehance IOL with no intermediate vision

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had an Eyhance monofocal model# DIB00 inserted 2 weeks ago into the right eye.

Rx before the surgery was SPH -3.0 CYL -1.0.

Rx 2 weeks after surgery SPH +0.5 CYL -1.0.

The surgeon used the ORA and Lensx laser with LRI.

The good: no halos, no glare, no artifacts of any kinds. Uncorrected distance vision is about 20/40. I think my contrast is good in all light conditions, but not sure how to evaluate it.

The bad: no useable uncorrected intermediate or near vision. Vision is progressively blurrier from about 4-5 feet down to 24". From 16" to 24" a total blur.

The strange:

How is it possible that my Astigmatism remains the same even with the LRI done both by the laser and additionally by the surgeon manually?

In operated eye the progressive bifocal glasses (SPH +0.5 CYL -1.0 ADD +2.50) allow me to see well for both intermediate and reading distance, but make NO DIFFERENCE for distance vision. Distance vision is about 20/40 either corrected or uncorrected. The surgeon seems surprised.

Does anyone have any knowledge that may explain this? I'm a bit discouraged, and wonder if it may improve in the future? I had good eye health (cornea, retina, macula, etc.) before the surgery. No prior LASIK surgery (was told my corneas were too thin 20 years ago).

Many people with the Eyhance reported good intermediate vision, why not me?

Appreciate any comments/insights. Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi @allen43308, how has your vision turned up? Were you able to get it resolved?

• Posted

Hi Medi. No change for me, still about +0.50 of spherical error, and -0.75 of cylinder error in the operated Eyhance eye. I've reached the acceptance stage at this point, my uncorrected vision is about 20/35 in that eye, which allows me to watch TV/movies, hike and bike without glasses. I don't get perfect crisp vision, but good enough...

• Edited

ok Eyehance ICB00 implanted yesterday both eyes.treated for PSC both eyes.,

opted for mini mono as -0.50/ -1.25

The results so far:

distance is screamingly good.at post op check this morning i can drive again.

(was able to watch TV within 3-4 hours of surgery. No artifacts,no glare.no halo's evening meal at the hotel i could see the filaments in the bulbs on the concourse clearly that was mindlblowing!)contrast is insane!!!!! I really didn't know you could cream off on tree leaves and distance speed signs on the highway!

downside was intermediate and near vision did not really cut it.anything below 1m was blurred,so the post op instruction pack and the roll of micro tape to stick over the eyeshields was a not such a fun game that kept me occupied for half an hour or solast night!given i still had blurry eyes from the drops from surgery.Got a bit better after a few hours but nowhere near eagle eyes.got readers for close in but they do the job.I don't get a disco show in the back of my head all the time! all very crisp. and well balanced.

had to go for these lenses and had no end of problems with vari/bifocal glasses before,not of the time they screwed my balance up and I was totally nauseous.all in all I would say satisfied.Not extatic,but satisfied.

I had to make the trade off beween range of vision and a funky light

show with oncoming headlights etc.

I did make the right choice,I just wish for a little bitmore close up range,but aren't prepared to pay the price of psychadelic optics

• Edited

I would think if the target of -1.25 D was hit in the near eye, your near vision should be good. I probably would have opted for closer to -0.25 D in the far eye to ensure the best distance vision. Once you get to 6 weeks and have a full eye refractions done by an optometrist you will find out where you ended up. But, it sounds like so far, so good...

• Posted

it's still early days of course,this is basically day 1 so not expecting the final call yet.

I did specifically ask for a -0.5 dominant eye due to the the job i do,knowing that at the very least i would need decent computer vision.Was prepared to sacrifice 10m of far out for 30cm extra of near.as long as driving vision achieved,but this mornings reading was distance super good(way better than 20).I think surgeon overshot a bit closer to plano than i had hoped.Not a disaster but workable.

a hit +/- 0.5D of target is usually considered pretty good.I think he's not too far off

• Edited

tbh very happy with the balance he got.

he did do the l/e with slight offset and it's working really well.i can generally tell with out of balance and puke over everybody,but he pretty much nailed the binocular bit so thy are working well together.

• Posted

Can you read your computer screen just with the eye set for distance?

• Posted

Targeting -0.50 D on the far eye instead of -0.25 D would gain a little bit of near vision. Based on the curves I posted below useable close vision distance would decrease from about 22.5" down to 19". So a small improvement. At distance it would likely reduce visual acuity from 20/20 down to about 20/25. But, that is all theory of course, and YMMV...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/eyhance-defocus-curve-and-landing-zone-791445

At computer distance you should get excellent vision if they hit the -1.25 D target with the close eye.

• Edited

Well,it is now day 4 after surgery.

Things are getting slowly better.

Computer vision,as in workstation on large monitor around 90cm distance, is pretty clear, but the keyboard (at around 60cm away),is a little bit blurry.

Laptop and mobile still requiring reading glasses,but I'm trying to use them as little as possible.I figure that i need to "train" my new eyes over the next few weeks while things are bedding in,so am doing a few reading exercises with closer and closer objects to see if I can improve the near vision a bit.

I'm still really not keen on the prospect of varifocals.The lower mag i need for readers the better come the time everything has healed.

• Posted

I should add that distance vision is still brilliant-better than 20/20 as checked by optometrist.Given all clear to drive.

Nice and clear,no glare or halo's at all.

• Posted

ps the light show when they are taking your normal lenses out is pretty psychadelic.

very 60's hippy spiral pulsating lights crap.

I only had local anaesthetic so in and out both eyes 2 hours,,but that would have absolutely rocked on a vallium!!!!

• Posted

that's interesting allen

what size lenses did you end up with?

it looks like degrees of vision might be equated to thickness of lenses.

mine were only 20.00 r/e and 20.50 l/e

I would not say my intermediate vision is good,but that's perhaps depending on the nature of your day to day life.

if you are just watching TV all day you'll be golden,but you need to do something a bit more detailed like read a recipe from a book(you can get by with a chat to your surgeon) or more detailed still with electronics or sewing/needlecraft(i would say frankly no chance with this lens for full range or component part number reading challenge by eye, you will need readers),you can definitely tell the deficiency in range.

the downside obviously with some multi's (that i was offered) is you gain the range,but lose the sharpness(not acceptable), and also gain some light effects( also not acceptable)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.