Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

take the SleepDrops powder Essential Sleep and Stress Nutrients.
  • Posted

it's called Spindle K complex.

take the SleepDrops powder Essential Sleep and Stress Nutrients.

• Posted

OMG...I just read your symptoms and they are identical to mine. I have been experiencing the symptoms for about 3 years.  I didn't I think much about it at first, but it is becoming more frequent now and it's scary.   Sometimes when this happens and I'm already asleep I can't go back to sleep, my brain feels like if it had water in it and it feels like a gurgling sound like when you're boiling water.   I can actually hear it.  I haven't said anything to anyone because I figured they probably would say that I'm crazy or imagining things.  I would love to know exactly what this is. Did they give you any idea?

• Posted

Reading this, I almost started to cry. I've been having these exact symptoms for weeks now and have not found the words to describe the sensation!!

I'm a relatively healthy 27 year old male. I say relatively because I am fit and active however just one year ago I was diagnosed with MS. I've been on medication for now 6 months with absolutely no side effects. That is till this started. Now I think I can rule out it being a side effect unless everyone here has MS too.

I've tried to do some research and I know stress and alcohol can cause similar symptoms. A year ago my MS was discovered because of stress with my job and toxic bosses. Now a year late I'm still at that same job with next to no stress thanks to myself and fellow department managers speaking up about how we were being treated. My job has been great since. Home life is great too. I can't think of anything I'm stressed over other than this damn issue. I actually dread going to sleep every night. Who says that?? As far as alcohol, I'll probably have a beer or 2 a day. However since this sleeping issue has become more and more of a problem, I've cut back even my drinking to next to nothing and still no improvement.

These symptoms keep me up nearly all night, and half the time after an hour or so of trying to sleep, I'll be wide awake. I've gone over 72 hours with out sleep over the past couple weeks because of this. I can feel how tired I am and function throughout the day pretty well, but still can't sleep.

If anyone has found any incite to this please share it, so I might one day like sleeping again.

• Posted

Hello. I just want to share my thoughts, after many visits to the ER and different doctors And different antidepressants medications that didn't help. I had one doctor to check my vitamin levels in which she discovered my B12 was extremely low to which I had to get shots to rapidly increase my levels. Whenever I get those symptoms I know my b12 is back low. So I just purchase a bottle of 1000 mcg and take one 3 times with 7 days ( remember do not overdose )because you can feel worse. But B12 and iron pills are literally my best friends because I'm borderline anemic.. just wanted to share my thoughts and I hope this helps !! Take care

• Posted

I also suffer from low B12 and a severe deficiency in d3. Could this make it worse? I'm 36, but this started at 18 and very healthy. I'm at a loss as to why this happens to me??

• Posted

Hi it happens to me as well. And I have an explanation/opinion but you will most probably think I am crazy. You can research it , or just ignore it. ..during sleep, you have your beta , alpha Theta and delta dream states. When u enter a certain dream state, your spirit is able to leave your physical body and astral travel. You can google astral travel... The electrical "no pain surge" is when you become aware and concious upon returning from your travels.Like I said, it sounds crazy, that is what I believe.

• Posted

I do agree with you about the astral traveling. In my own personal opinion, I think thats where our dreams may come from. Past, present, or future things we dream about. Thats why I believe some of our dreams just feel so real to us as humans. But mine differs. It happens right before I fall asleep, where my body is heavy, the feeling of being magnetized to my bed and after the surges occur I go straight into night terrors with sleep paralysis. If you read my comment above you can get an idea of what I experience. Do you any explanation as to why I go thru what i do? Please lmk. Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can give me.
    • Posted

Hello. Yes, in my opinion again, this is where we experience dreams and travel and learn... Different dimensions. Astral travel is whilst u sleeping. Then u get "out of body "which is same and what happens in the awaken state. Which is what happens to u. All "symptoms" is exact. U have the ability to go "out of body"the moment u relax. And that is the dimensions you travel in where inventions, predictions, teachings and all that can be obtained. actually u r very lucky cause most people that R on a spiritual path want to be able to experience out of body. I wud suggest before u go to sleep to ask for protection(eg prayer) and set your intention to visit the Higher Dimensions Light Beings.not Lower Dimensions and see how it changes from terror to absolute beauty. If the terror continues, perhaps u have to deal with an issue of fear. Which is the same in my case. Fear attracts fear. If u can conquer your fear , the terrors will go away. Protection on earth is important so also in other dimensions. Hope it helps.we Chat again.

• Posted

My only issue is is that I do not know exactly what my fear is. My night terrors do not revolve around any given topic and are always, always different!!!!
    • Posted

According to your messages, I think your fear and terrors relates around the subconcously fear"unseen dark side". Perhaps connected to a past life memory... I do believe u r psychic and "fighting" against your gift. Fighting off "evil". And fighting against your own abilities. once u conquer your fear of the "unseen" and accept who u r and what gifts u have and always protect urself, u will be able to manage all of this. U welcome to e mail me privately. I will help where I can. I have had same experiences as you. Nobody to help me, I helped myself Once u understand that the fear is the only limitation or obstacle that exists only in ur mind, u can manage or overcome or understand and overcome it. Obviously there are some tools or tips I can give u to help u.

• Posted

I am 2 months shy of 36. This has been happening to me since I was 18 and dealt with my first stressful event as an adult. So far as my health, I have sleep apnea, anxiety and many other health conditions which I take medication for. I have low blood pressure, usually approximately 95/57-65. I do not take a sleeping medication although I am prescribed one. My anxiety meds usually help to shut my brain down of thoughts that would keep me up all night if I didnt take it before bed. I have been so confused as to why this has been happening to me for half of my life. No, it doesn't make me feel better to know others suffer from the same thing bc I know how scary it is, BUT , now I dont feel so alone. When I get these surges in my brain, I also get a very strange sensation of what I would think people that get high from drugs might feel. (I do not use alcohol or ANY illicit drugs, prescribed meds only as directed) . But here is where I differ from all of the comments I've read on the page. If I do not turn on my bedroom light and keep busy for approximately 30 minutes, it happens repeatedly like its on repeat in my brain, where I believe I differ is this. After I get these such intense surges, if I let myself fall asleep...I go into night terrors and sleep paralysis. I feel as if the surges and strange aura I get is a warning. And if I dont get up and distract myself, I repeatedly have night terrors one after another, that I can eventually wake myself from (I understand how strange it sounds that I can wake myself from them, that came as I got older) But when I wake myself from them, I still cannot move for a couple minutes, yet I'm profusely sweating, heart pounding out of my chest and terrified. So I seem to get these surges as a warning as to what is to come. And bc I am soooo tired when they happen, I sometimes have difficulty fighting them off in order not to fall into night terrors. I know this is different from all the comments I've read here, but if any other single other person experiences something close to what I go through, please help me understand. I'm an intelligent person, but I can't understand why this happens to me. When it first started it was multiple D's a week. Now, its only every other month, sometimes every month. I'm just scare at not knowing why this happens and how exactly is it a warning of what is to come if I fall asleep in that state. The night terrors and sleep paralysis occur every single time the surge occurs. I also have severe spinal cord injuries, but that didnt happen until I was 22. This started at 18. Please help if anyone can!!!

• Posted

Hello. I am experiencing the exact same thing. Right before I fall asleep, I suddenly get a surge of electricity and no matter what I do, it won't stop. I can't sleep until I just pass out from exhaustion. I have tried every med I can get my hands on. Kind of scared of overdose, but I can't make it stop. Can't sleep. I dread nighttime now. This has been happening for a year, but has drastically increased over the last month. Have you found a solution to this problem yet?

• Posted

Hi Michele, I started having this at the end of last year and now I barely have it. I saw a therapist for cognitive behavioural therapy. She helped me to rethink sleep as I had got so terrified of it. It was all caused by stres for me and probably for you. The first thing to do is believe this is just stress. Then stop caffeine, lower sugar intake, eat healthily, eliminate some stress from your life, relax more, meditate if you can or at least grab some quiet time every day, drink camomile tea, take magnesium and b12. Look after yourself. See a therapist for cbt if possible. I sympathise because this was a horrible time for me and started after a period of high stress. I believe that these are panic attacks at the onset of sleep and can be stopped when we relax properly. Cbt helps so much to change your mindset about going to bed as I know exactly the dread you will feel about sleep. I am almost completely over it and even if it were to happen I'm not terrified anymore. Reading a book by Claire Weakes about nerves is also v helpful. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much Emma for the reply. I believe what you said is correct. I will work on my diet and relaxation and hope that it helps! Thanks again!!
    • Posted

Best of luck with it! And know that you are not alone with it! Also I would advise you to not search the internet too much about it otherwise you will come across horror stories that will make you think there is something sinister going on when there is not! I did do a lot of searching and did find several people who had managed to overcome it with relaxation etc. I also read stuff that made me feel worse....ignore it or better don't read it in the first place!! Other thing that helped me in the beginning to mid term was distracting myself from the transition between wakefulness and sleep by falling asleep while reading or watching tv. If i was aware of falling asleep it would always happen. Now I can fall asleep normally without distraction about 80% of the time. The other times I prefer to read to distract myself because I feel a bit stressed....anyway stress creeps up on us and so it makes sense that it dissipates gradually....and it will pass....take care! And feel free to post on this forum if you need any more  tips/help. I know how hard it is!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.