Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just need someone to believe in me so i can go foward someone with authority 
  • Posted

I wish I knew you a while ago because me and you could probably figure this out between the both of us 
  • Posted

I’ve been having these brain zaps for just about 2 years. I don’t have insurance.  So, through these months I would google my symptoms and I would try what was suggested-Vitamn D, Fish Oil, Vitamin B12,Magnesium and zinc. As I added each it seemed to help but it comes back. I tried relaxation music again it helped but still comes back. I gave up all sweets too. I really wasn’t too concerned because it only happens when I start to fall asleep. I’m at a loss. I have been thinking if it was something serious, I’d have other issues. After all of these posts through the years there is still no answers. I’m at my wits end with this. I am afraid to go to sleep. I can’t afford to go to different drs to end up with no answers. 
    • Posted

You will find out that you probably don’t need any doctors do you have any body that you are fighting with.go to that person and see if they are doing anything to you 
    • Posted

Hei dee

Clarisa already sayd everything. Go check Lyme desease.

• Posted

Phil sorry bro but u need togo to a schrink or just check the f....ng Lyme man
  • Edited

Hi guys,

I would like to share my thoughts on this regarding something that I think has been overlooked.

But first I want to say that of course it's possible that some of us have in fact been missing vitamin D, B12, have withdrawal symptoms of antidepressants, have some food allergies or perhaps have the lyme disease, and this is what has caused their symptoms. 

But for those who don't have any of the above (yes, even special lyme tests done..) I would like to share some thoughts. 

As we know our bodies are electric by nature. Electricity must exist in the body for a variety of different functions. But of course a symptom like this is beyond normal. Our bodies shouldn't be working like this. Therefore could it be possible that there is some lack/imbalance with that part of our bodily chemistry that is mainly responsible for the transfer of electricity --> electrolyles (sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, chloride) together with individually proper hydration. I start to believe this more and more each day.

I don't think it's a coincidence that many of us got these symptoms as a result of a period of high stress, stomach flu etc.. as all of these have a tendency to drain the electrolytes from our body. Also many including me, have noticed that exercise makes the symptoms worse, meanwhile some have stated that magnesium and drinking Gatorade have decreased the symptoms. In this “electrolytical context” I think it's only logical that exercise makes it worse as it also drains the body of salts (in our case I suppose exercise drains our already imbalanced electrolytic chemistry even more). As a side comment this is why people drink eg Gatorade after gym, - a drink that has helped even some of us with this symptom. Anyway, for many, as for me, taking magnesium might help a little bit, but its hasn't taken away the symptoms. I have also tested with potassium, and calcium, which have also helped sometimes, but the symptoms persist. This makes me think, that balancing the electrolytes in the body together with the optimum hydration, is not as easy as one might think. One obvious sign of that is that many of us suffer from this for years. So I suppose conquering this requires a more holistic approach than just taking these supplements every now and then.

The latest one I have tried with is sodium (raw sea salt) that I put a little bit under my tongue every other day. The results have been both good and bad, but I have tested only for less than a week now. Also I make sure I drink pretty much the same amount of water each day. I also try to get some routine (wake up/go to sleep, eat at the same time each day) so that the metabolism of the body would heighten. Speaking of metabolism, I don’t know why this only happens when trying to fall asleep, but to my understanding this is when metabolism slows down. Or perhaps the brain is trying to activate some paralysed center at the point of falling asleep but this requires the right balance of electrolytes which I suppose we don’t have at the moment.

I know many also think that this is caused by anxiety. I do believe anxiety plays its role, but guess what I have read over and over again -> lack of electrolytes may very well cause anxiety. So in this context anxiety is more of a symptom.

Anyway guys, speaking with others who understand what you are going through usually helps so if anybody feels like talking more feel free to write me. Or even add me on facebook if you like. Perhaps we can even start some support group there where people can join. If you want to continue discussion write me a private mail and we can be in touch.

Bye for now

• Posted

Exhausting gases? Does that happen to anyone of u and is related with the exposure to exhausting gases? Let us know. That is my case. Bye
  • Posted

This is such an odd thread because there  is so much information on peoples symptoms and experiences and getting tested with no results and after all these posts there aren't very many actual solutions. I think the issue of side effects from medications is probably the best place to start and investigation I have a chronic  problem of which I was hospitalized in 2010 I have a swollen tongue that was cutting off my air passage since then I have had constant pain with my mouth right now I have burning tongue and infected biopsy which are so painful I can't even drink water I sing 10 doctors and nobody seems to have a  solution. So I'm in a spreadsheet of all my medications over-the-counter painkillers herbs vitamins supplements amino acids and I put them in a spreadsheet with the side effects and columns and long behold when I sorted playlist by the side effect of dry mouth there were 10 medications I was taking. The combinations with over  The counter pain medications or exacerbating the problem so I'm in the process of getting off some of those medications but it's very hard. When I developed chronic fatigue 12 years ago the way to find out if you had her for disability was to go to a lot of doctors have lots of tests and have them sign is nothing wrong with you which makes her feel psychotic psychiatrist at my  hearing said I had a somatic disorder but even though it was somatic it didn't mean I didn't have the symptoms I need some kind of treatment but I would probably spend my life and frustration of trying to get answers.  I recently came across this post because I devote is exact symptoms out of nowhere I started to have jokes in my arms and legs and when I close my eyes I saw a light flashes then finally I have my mother clearly calling out to me she's been dead for 25 years.  I'm going to neurologist on Tuesday and I'm very nervous I'm nervous not that you'll find something but that he'll find nothing I have dozens and dozens of other symptoms of brain damage and I've been diagnosed with Parkinson's him and early Alzheimer's and all these different things that really have been proved they were just a guess. 

Offer my therapy my therapist and support friends of which I have you will tell me put on your computer put down your phone stop looking up all the stuff all does this make you feel worse but you know what I need to find some answers when I go to a doctor for a s**t seriously debilitating painful Problem and everybody says it in the thing wrong I need to keep going to form is like this and asking questions but I do believe  there is a huge factor in any kind of symptoms related not so much to anxiety which is where everybody goes but maybe some on forgiveness. I'm not trained medical intuitive and I have worked with other medical intuitive and I don't work for chakras but the people that are not who do believe that places in our body hold emotions and anger and resentment and that we won't get better until we were like all those things. I have serious anxiety  right now because I'm disabled and the people who are supposed to of helped me have not everyone my credit by paying my bills late cause me a Normas frustration and agencies that help people with chronic illness and disability benefits are supposed to research benefits for you and I my caseworker didn't and I found a lot of benefits that might get me good medical help and pay my insurance and get my teeth fixed . So my point is keep doing research prior the forms this is disturbing events for brains apps the light sensitivity flashes I have things dropping around my cabin all the time I think it's haunted and I used to hear voices but I don't know anymore but I found out that well Butrans cause me to have auditory hallucinations did my doctor tell me that?  No ! 

Doing the  spreadsheet listing everything you take for your health will be very helpful you may find that here come buying things that have bad reactions did you know that well butyrin combined with Adderall causes fatalities. Certainly it can cause a brains up and anxiety can cause brain zap maybe lower your anxiety and see what happens. Glad to be here I really need   support. 

• Posted

I do not take any medicine and I eat very good food.    It happens every night I went to doctors and no one would help me 
  • Posted

Just wanted to check back in here. Mine started about a year ago. Now I no longer get them. For me this was caused by anxiety. I used distraction to get to sleep for many months: reading my phone, watching TV etc anything that distracted me from that cross over point between being awake and falling asleep. Now I can pretty much fall asleep without any distraction. I have removed some anxiety from my life and drink a cup of camomile tea before bed to calm me. I am no longer terrified of bedtime and don't worry about it now. I also saw a therapist for two months which helped me to change my thoughts about bedtime. My heart goes out to you all. This

Is no fun. But please consider this is a result of anxiety and try to remove some stress from your life. It's boring and seems too simple but it worked for me and in the beginning I was an

Absolute mess from this. 

• Posted

I do not have that problem,I wish I had what you had and i would be better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.