Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI Caroline,

I hope you don't mind me answering you. I also had this whilst falling asleep for a good while, months not years. For me it was caused by anxiety. I had a lot going on at the time and I got into a kind of habit of dreading going to sleep in case this weird electrical zap panic attack type thing happened at the onset of sleep. I found myself in a viscious cycle of worrying so much about it happenign that I was actually causing it to happen from my stress. It became a kind of subconsious reaction to falling asleep. I no longer have this unless I am mega stressed at which time I worry that its going to happen but it doesnt. If you test negatuve for lyme I would guess stress. First of all try to lessen your fear around not sleeping. Tell yourself its ok to not sleep you can function on much less sleep than you think. You wont bwlieve this at first but tell yourselff it anyway as eventually you will. Also use distraction while falling asleep. Read, put the Tv on low, watch something on your phone and let yourself drift off while distracted. Also if it happens let yourself experience it. Don't fight it, fall into it and tell yourself over and ovwr 'I am going to be ok, I am safe and well, I am ok. I am just stressed'. Sniff lavender, drink camonnille tea etc. I saw a psychologist who helped me de stress as I was having marital problems, work problems and another problem where I was really annoyed with someone so I was just far too stressed. The paychologist used CBT to help me. CBT just helps you change your thoughts about certain things. It's a very practical and effective approach. It was such a tough time in my life but there is hope. You will be ok. The original poster does come back to say that he got through it by de stressing and changing his life habits to be less stressed too. If you look through the comments you will find his somewhere. I have more info bit dont want to ramble too much! I will look out for your responses. I hope I have given you a little comfort. Soon you will be back to normal. Definitely get the lyme disease checked too. Oh the other thing to do is take magnesium tablets or rub magnesium oil on your skin as this problem can also be caused by magnesium deficiency.

• Posted

Thank you for your message Emma, it was so good to read and i can definitely relate to it ! Everything you said in your message is so interesting and its good to know that I am not the only one going through this. When i was at the doctors yesterday, she gave me propranolol ive to take 40mg 3 times a day. Not sure it will help but its worth a try. I have been on 15mg of mirtazipine for about 2 months now, this helps me feel tired and i suppose sometimes helps me to fall over after the zaps. I hate the thought of taking these meds but as the doctor says, its worth trying different avenues and strategies. It really is the most bizarre thing to happen and to cope with, especially when the doctors dont have a clue what i am experiencing. At least now I can talk to people who have went through this and I will defo take on board your advice. Im glad you have come out the other end and thank you so much for your message. It has given me hope and a little comfort too.

• Posted

hi emma, its caroline here again, im still going through this horrific ordeal. i habe tried magnesium and fatty acid suppliments and have tried meditation. still no joy. i wonder if you have any more advice?

• Posted

Hey im a healthy 32 year old man with the EXACT same thing happening to me. it started about 3 months ago and it is hard to describe but you described it perfectly. i describe it as like a bussing inside my head that i need to shake or being zoned out. and the electrical surges when trying to sleep. its frightening ive had every test same as you except an eeg. have you had any answers is it still happening to you? my neuro says its anxiety. help please!

• Posted

I had an EEG done and I am now on epilepsy meds. I dont get it anymore.

• Posted

I've had the same thing happen to me, with the surge/electric zap or adrenaline rush feeling as I'm seconds away from falling asleep. It wakes me up, and sometimes keeps me from falling asleep for the entire night. Has been going on for about half a year now. I also have numbness and tingling feeling in my hands and forearms, which I think is connected to the "zaps", and the hand issue is only felt when I'm trying to fall asleep, never during the day.

I'm in my middle 30's, and have gained about 30 pounds in the last couple of years. I smoke and drink, and my diet could be better than it is. I had bloodwork done and have found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I have not had follow-up blood tests yet, but have started taking multi-vitamins (because I'm probably deficient in other vitamins too). My bloodwork has shown that I also need to watch my cholesterol, and if I keep going the way I'm going, I risk developing diabetes. I also have elevated blood pressure. I don't think I have sleep apnea, but I was more comfortable laying in bed before I gained the 30 lbs.

I go out to bars a lot, although I don't drink on weekdays, I do drink heavily on the weekends. My zaps/surges and numbness in the hands is usually the worst on Sunday and Monday night. I cut out alcohol and started taking vitamins (b12, multi-vitamin, vitamin d, and magnesium). After about a week, the zaps stopped, and my numbness in the hands also went away. I have been able to sleep without issues for the last 2 weeks.

This is what has helped me, maybe other people on this board have zaps for other reasons, but I think my issue has been resolved by what I stated above. I would always go to the gym often but I just became really lazy and let myself go these past few years. I am going to change my diet, take it easy/cut out the consumption of alcohol, and cut down on the smoking. It seems to be working for me so far (fingers crossed).

• Posted

this message gives me hope. i have been getting these horrible zap like feelings before i fall asleep now for just about a year. When i drink a few glasses of wine at night i dont get the zaps, so ive been on a slippery slope and have to admit that im drinking a bottle pf wine most nights now. on the nights i do not drink, the zaps are bad. as yoy said, they keep me up most of the night. ive been taking magnesium amd vit b12 for a few weeks now. some nights are worse than others. its such a terrible thing to go through because it affects absoloutley everything. id like if you kept me uo to date with your progress

caz

• Posted

Anyone had any minor injuries to their spine?(skiing accident-couldn't lift a 0,5l bottle because my lower spine hurt so much, and then went untreated) I fear that this is caused like this:

Spine compression causes muscle spasms which are in your head. After i get them i allways strech my neck and they are gone(kind of like streching after getting a cramp) for a while.

Also when i strech bottom of my spine(where i got injured) it sometimes makes it worse OR completly dissappears.

I found out that caffine also causes minor tension headache half an hour after i drink it.

Alcohol also makes it easier to sleep(pointing at anxiaty). After that, headaches become more frequent and intense(hungover). Intensity lowers again in the folowing days.

• Edited

wow I am so glad other people have these symtpoms. My doctor also has no idea what im talking about. If this helps at all, I have narrowed my hypnic jolts and shocks down to only happening it seems on the days I drink coffee. I used to be able to drink as much coffee as I want but now I get super anxious and fatigued when I drink it. I still drink it somedays regardless because its addicting and my jolts and shocks appear to only happen on days I drink coffee when im about to sleep. I noticed quite a change when I stopped coffee. The diet and magnesium solution I read might help too so im trying that.

• Edited

I am so happy I found this thread, I felt so alone and terrified, but it actually gives me some reassurance knowing that I am not crazy and that others are experiencing the same thing.

Here is my story it is currently 3-10-20, in september of last year my wife and I were a few days from opening a restaurant of our own and I had what I thought was a full blown panic attack, wound up in an ambulance convinced I was dying.  Got checked out and told I was healthy, went to my doc a few days later and did every test you can imagine and I was given a clean bill of health, I was 39 and never had any health issues prior to this.  I did notice after the panic attack I was experience symptoms of anxiety like numbness of extremenities and weird metallic taste in my mouth.  In october I discovered that my wife was having an affair with someone at our restaurant and we separated, my anxiety levels stayed about the same.

We managed to work things out and things are actually really good between us.  A few weeks ago just as I was about to fall asleep I felt a surge of energy from my stomach shoot into my head, felt like my head exploded, I jumped out of bed unable to breathe, feeling went away after about 10 seconds but I could not fall asleep, this has continued almost every night since then, the only time it does not happen is when I drink excessive amounts of alcohol, but I am also experiencing some weird brain shivers during the day that make me feel like I am in a medicine fog, very disconnected from everything and very hard to get motivation to even leave the house.  

That is my story, I will continue to follow this thread, I am going to try some of the different recommendations I have read here.

-Steve

• Edited

if you ever have stomach pain, like diverticulitous, but different, only on the right side, run to the ER. i had these sensations, ended up with emergency surgery on my SMA artery, have not had these since they removed the clot. i think its a weird blood thing that happens. i also have since been diagnosed with folicular lynphoma, so i guess it could also be cancer. who knows. i hope neither of the things i described are related to that previous sensation for your sake. could be anxiety, but to have such strong physical sensations that spike blood pressure just never lined up with what i believed in n my head about anxiety attacks. in my case it turned out to be more, i hope thats not anyone elses case on here.

• Posted

hi steve ... welcome To The Club ... ha jolts been apart of me for 30 plus years , now 63 ... but my brain freeze (i love That analogy) Is, Was, when i would be Thinking hard and Driving and i would relax the brain a Fraction of a second .... it was liked a dizzy or fuzzly Spell...now 5 yrs later and anxity meds ... i really dont Have those any more ... but the Jolts every Night and Three -four even ... ha i vacation alot and notice that they dont happen as Much . any way, Bring them on ! the Attack happened 5 yrs ago.. like Yours .. Weird Stuff Hope i Have a Zap tonight ' lol Good Luck

• Posted

MC, thanksmine is the Left side low to center stomach ... thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.