Electric/Energy surge to brain when trying to fall asleep.

Posted , 373 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but glad I found somewhere to share my symptoms.

I'm getting a sort of electrical shock when trying to fall asleep. This electrical shock seems to be described on other sites as 'jumps' or 'zaps' or 'surges of energy'. It happens not when I'm sleeping but the moment I am about to fall asleep. Its like a sort of butterflies feeling in the stomach and then a rush/surge of energy to the brain which gives you a 'jump' and electrical feeling in the head and sometimes upper body. The more extreme they are sometimes produce a twitch in maybe the arm or leg. Its not painful but I guess is quite scary when it happens. These can happen numerous times a night.

Many friends/family I have spoken to say this is normal and they are familiar with the symptoms (I understand what they mean as it can be quite similar to when you suddenly wake from a bad dream) but mine seem to be a lot more often and extreme. I know my symptoms don't seem to be normal.

I've been having these for about 5-6 weeks now (some nights are worse than others) but generally its been more or less every night. This has turned into a vicious cycle because when you actually close your eyes at night to go to sleep you are actually waiting for the 'shock' to happen instead of trying to sleep. Obviously the less sleep you have, the less functional you are the next day and so on and so on. You then get sleep deprived which I believe also may trigger this.

The only other thing I can add to my symptoms is sometimes during the day I get a spaced out/empty/dizzy/cloudy feeling in the head (hard to explain). Sometimes this can turn into a sort of brain/head sensation where you feel you need to kind of 'shake it off'. Again, its hard to explain, something like if you have restless feet and you need to kick out of it but its in the head so you need to give yourself a shake to snap out of it.

I have read quite a bit about anxiety/stress and these symptoms may fall into this category but the issue I have with this, is that I have nothing to be anxious/stressful about! All is OK with job, money, house, relationship etc so I'm not sure how this all started. Could I be anxious about this illness? Again, a vicious cycle?

About me - I'm a fit and healthy 35 year old guy. I actually exercise quite a lot (go to gym/swim 4 times a week and have run numerous marathons over the past year). Although this fitness regime has stopped since I have started having these symptoms as I am feeling quite weak/tired due to not getting much sleep due to it. I have no major prior illnesses and I am not on any medication. I don't want to get in the habit of taking sleep medication.

I have been to the hospital and spent the night where they performed numerous blood tests/Heart ECG/X Rays/Urine and all came back OK. The only issue I had was slightly high blood pressure (but not high enough to be put on any medication). I have also been for an MRI scan and EEG epilepsy test. I will find the results with these in about 5 weeks time.

Anyway, that's my symptoms and hopefully someone might feel at ease that they are going through something similar.

Reading similar posts on the internet I don't think anyone has come to the conclusion on what in fact is causing these problems, even though a lot of the people actually been for tests and seen doctors. Has anyone experienced these issues?

Thanks guys, feel free to get in touch smile

27 likes, 695 replies

695 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started experiencing this 6 years ago as a direct result of practicing transcendental meditation (I stopped the practice once I started getting brain zaps.)

For me its something that happens around once per month. My only other symptom is tinnitus.

When I feel the brain zap starting (usually as im about to fall asleep) I get scared and force myself to wake up. I'd be curious, has anyone ever allowed the brain zap to happen and fallen asleep? If so, what happens if you allow yourself to go with it?

• Posted

Ive never went to sleep directly after a zap. it frightens me way to much. it jolts me out of my bed sometimes. How long did it take for you to get used to them? Once a month isnt bad at all. i wish i had them like that. i get them a couple times a night. Been experiencing them for 2 years now. Ive learned to deal with them the best i can.

• Edited

Nearly 2 years ago i started experiencing brain zaps out of the blue. I am 17 and i only get them when i sleep during the daytime or around 8 pm when i nap after school. I never get them when i get a full night sleep. At first i was freaked out because it is a very scary and weird sensation, I thought i had epilepsy or seizure until i found this forum. Seeing that many people experienced this made me feel less frightened. It usually feels like a brain jolt, sudden electrical surge to brain, recurring spinning sensation, nauseous sensation, dizzy/cloudy/floaty, sometimes i feel like i WILL PASS OUT/ lose consciousness because i can partially open my eyes despite to these sensations. I don't know how to explain it to my parents and they don't get me seriously, since this has been happening to me for 2 years. It usually starts while i am half asleep or near waking up to DEFINE only during daytime. Please help me i am so confused and desperate for an answer, also at the same time very concerned if this indicates any health issue.

• Edited

I relate to this post very much! I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, for the majority of us having the electrical shock feeling just as we fall asleep, causing a negative feedback loop of insomnia night after night, we know that its cause is likely from a viral infection. It doesn't mean we are actively sick, but likely are experiencing nerve damage or autonomic dysfunction from post-viral illness.

The bad news is that they don't know why it happens and so far as my research has led, there is no cure other than "time". That can be seen as good news though, that most people do seem to resolve given some time (and more diet and exercise can never hurt!)

Best of luck to everyone, and it is sad to see the uptime in activity on this post after Covid-19. Long haul is a real b***h and will likely be a scourge on society for many years to come. Hope for recovery!

• Edited

I'm 32, been having sleep starts since I was a young kid. I used to call it the "sleep monster" lately it's gotten so bad it's keeping me up all night and making me feel like it's turning into short seizures I have just as I fall asleep. Doctor says it's monoclonus and anxiety. I eat healthy and exercise only issue is slightly elevated BP 126/85 avg. I used to have a lot of anxiety but its better lately and I'm under stress but I've had worse. My symptoms have changed over the years and it went from benign popping noises "exploding head syndrome" to one jerk a night, to multiple with full body contractions. If I'm dating someone it freaks them out.

Current Symptoms: repeated jolts just as I fall asleep, feels like an electrical sensation in the brain that sends a jolt of adrenaline through my body and makes me jump and gasp for air uncontrollably, tinnitis (had a cochlear stroke ent said), haven't been able to nap in the daytime in years, background electrical potential feeling like it could happen again, happens during meditation too. the more tired I am the worse it happens.

Attempted Remedies: magnesium, lorazepam, sleepytime tea, melatonin, sex, weed, exercise, sleeping on diff sides, sleeping elevated, cutting out sugar/caffeine/alcohol, sleeping with lights on, had a sleep study done, had an eeg and ecg with nothing found.

Things that help (or used to help): light and looking at phone, sleeping next to someone I'm dating has helped it in the past, not having caffeine, not eating sugar or carbs before bed, no MSG or chocolate or any stimulants, no alcohol, not thinking anticipating the jerks or being distracted. Does not happen often when I wake up in the middle of the night and to go back to sleep.

I'm very unhappy with the medical system and being told it's in my head. They can literally see me jump out of bed on camera in my sleep study and say it's normal. I think doctors have become lazy and reliant on their tablets to do their job for them as none seem to take the extra step to research. We are assembly line cattle to them. I'm told to take lorazepam to help and it makes it worse.

Just my experience guys, hope it helps and I'm still looking for the solution like many of you. Maybe ant-epileptics are the answer. I don't know.

• Edited

Wow you pretty much nailed it on the head what does comment.... everything you want in detail about is literally everything I’ve been experiencing to the T.... i’m sure you’ve probably read some of my comments on this thread… I’ve been dealing with these brains jolts/jerks for over two years now… I can’t really say they’ve gotten better since the start.... but I can’t say that I’ve learned to deal with them a lot better than how I used to… Don’t get me wrong I’m still scared when I get them and I do get them still almost every night. There are times where I don’t get them but it is kind of rare.... One thing I might have to disagree with you on is the lorazepam(xanax) it sucks that I have to take this but it does help me sleep at night and it kind of knocks me out to where I don’t get the brain zaps anymore… However, this is not something I look forward to doing every night before I go to bed… Many nights I tried to avoid taking any medication but those are the nights that seem to be the worst for me. Exercise has helped me a little bit and dieting has helped me a little bit but it doesn’t get rid of them whatsoever… It’s all in my head at this point and I can’t get rid of permanently. I’ve seen doctors and I’ve done a sleep study but none of that helped me at all. I didn’t get any more information than I already knew. I really don’t even think doctors know what to tell us at this point.

The only comforting thing I have is this thread and that other people are going through the same craziness that I’m going through. Even my wife barely understands me and what’s going on… There’s times at night where I will get a bad brains up and I would freak me out and I would scare her and wake her up… It happens a couple times a month where he gets that bad.

all I can do now is pray and let God take control of it and trust him and trust the fact that this hasn’t killed me since it started more than two years ago so everything deep down will probably be OK. It’s just something that’s very scary to deal with on a daily basis at night. I dread going to bed every night.

• Posted

vitamines b12/b1 b6/b9 and b complex

• Posted

ive been experiencing this lately! been feeling so crazy thinking im alone in this- thanks for posting!

• Posted

I experience the same thing. I would experience a few nights of anxiety and have a few legs jerks. After a few times I usually feel a sleep. Before 16 months ago I never had a leg jerk ever in my 36 years of life. now I'm almost 38. About a month ago i start having the brain surges were I fall a sleep for like 30 seconds and as soon as I start to dream its like my brain taps me awake. like after 2 times of it happening I can't fall a sleep. With good nights I can fall asleep after with a Trazodone. Otherwise nothing puts me to sleep except Alcohol or a Valium.

• Edited

Hi

I'm coming on here to share my experience of this weird sensation and my path out of it, in case it helps anybody who still checks here. I had three months of non-sleeping hell due to 'electric' sensations whooshing up my body every time I tried to fall asleep, along with a massive tremor on the point of falling asleep and sometimes some 'brain zap' feelings too. Awful. Saw no end of GP's and had loads of blood tests, spent days and days desperately trawling the net and thought I was going mad or had some terrible neurological disease. Anyway. After much patience and continuing to push my GP for answers, we've finally got to the bottom of it and I'm starting to recover and sleep again. There were two things causing this for me:

1. Hormonal imbalance. My estrogen levels were 190 (I'm towards the end of the menopause). Low estrogen can affect the nervous system pretty dramatically. Now the levels are up to over 400 on a new gel HRT I feel much better.
    2. A very low level of Vitamin D3 which was causing my parathyroid gland to produce too much hormone. Vitamin D deficiency can cause neurological issues, tremors and sleeping disorders. This is being corrected with a daily tablet.

So - blood tests for oestrogen level for women, plus blood tests for parathyroid and also Vit D levels can be easily carried out at the GP.

Hope this helps somebody.

• Posted

Hi! I have never posted on a forum before but when i read this I had to share. I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms when I'm falling asleep, horrible brain zaps jerking me awake just as I start to drift off. It felt like I was dying every night, very scary. I was using valium at night to control them which worked for a while but i found I was building a tolerance which obviously isnt ideal. I started using a sleep and calm supplement which has ashwaganda, passion flower and valerian, and also a bach remedy about an hr or two before bed. I also take a magnesium supplement in the morning. Doing this stops the zaps and I've never slept so soundly before. I don't need valium at all anymore. If I don't take them, the zaps come back unfortunately, so i suppose they are working as a preventative rather than a cure but I'm grateful for that at least.

• Posted

Hi there, similarly to most participants in the discussion I am surprised that there are so many people who experience this.

Please read up about and check for latent tetany, a lot of people have it without knowing, doctors misdiagnose it as anxiety or depression, sometimes even epilepsy.

Stay strong.

I hope this helps someone.

• Posted

Hello. I am experiencing the same sensation. I actually find it soothing and relaxing when it happens just before sleep. I am often extremely busy and sleep deprived due to the phase of life I'm in.

It's good to seek answers, but I wonder if your brain is just processing the day and winding down. Sleep is so important for your brain. A doctor who survived a brain tumor told me that toxins are cleansed from the brain during sleep. She said it's important to turn screens off long before bed and keep the room dark.

I hope you sleep better soon.

• Posted

I believe everyone here is suffering from Vestibular Neuritis. Doctors are not great at diagnosing this yet and the facts about it are not exactly factual. The good news is that it will heal completely up overtime, but it will take the brain months to even years to compensate properly so you no longer feel symptomatic. Best thing you can do is not fear the symptoms but rather accept them and that everyday is day closer to being healed because the only medicine is time.

• Posted

Ive been having similar issues as well. I recently have been feeling an electrical type surge right as when i fall asleep. However, after i get the butterfly feeling in my stomach and the head rush, i immediately get a full body pins and needles which is both startling and painful. It happens multiple times a night, and most of the time makes me nervous to close my eyes and fall asleep. After reading some of these posts i don't believe i am stressed by anything. I finished my finals week in college about a week and a half ago but they started after. Has anyone had this painful tingling sensation too? Does anyone know what this is or what it's from?

• Posted

Hey, I too have been suffering like you for about a year. My condition improved completely after I took a B12 injection And vitamin B complex, and B1 B6. After two months, the symptoms returned again. Yesterday, I took a B12 injection, and B complex tablets.Wait for the result and I will inform you, God willing.

I just want an alert. I noticed that the seizure comes during the stage of entering sleep, and only when a sound is made or... When I hear wood ticking, for example, or creaking the ZAPS comes immediately, even if the sound is very faint

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.