electric legs?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Happy Easter one and all, I have today what I can only describe as an electric current running up and down my leg, no pain just weird. Any thoughts ?, anyone else had it ?

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Dotty

I had that for a while (I am 12 weeks post TKR) and someone said it was the nerve ends re attaching themselves.

Pretty weird. But then, isn't it all pretty weird?

Good luck

Liz

• Posted

indeed, the whole tkr lark does seem to take on a life of its own,I am really struggling to think of anything but my knee(and I do not even feel bad about that !) if as you say it is nerves re attatching then I shall see that as a good thing, thanks
    • Posted

Yes I am now called 'her kneeship' by my friends - it has become my identity and I am now trying to change that but it is always there - attached to the thigh and calf, dominating our every move. Each time I rise from the sofa, go up a step etc its there - reminding me. Oh for the day, if ever, that is feels 'normal' or even the new normal.
    • Posted

So true!  I have had to remind myself not to talk about it all the time to my husband. . I realise it's pretty boring for people who haven't experienced this. . .so it's great to have the forum where we all understand what the other is going though!
  • Posted

Happy Easter, yes I had that too, just put it down to nerves healing etc, don't get it now ( 10 weeks) , however have one part of my knee on the right about the size of two 50p prices which is still completely numb?
    • Posted

Hi Joy ... the left side of my scar is completely numb. I'm nearly 8 weeks post tkr and my consultant said that it is normal for part of the knee to be numb and also that it may always be like that.

Can I just ask ... at what stage does this op seem worth it because at the moment I can't see that it was!!!

• Posted

I'm at twelve weeks. . just about beginning to think . Oh well, glad I had it done!  Last night was still a bad one, with quite a lot of discomfort . not exactly pain . .but I can now walk without the knee hurting.  Still pain in the thigh, but  I am more or less used to that now.  Would I do it again to the other knee?  Probably not. . but I suppose it depends on the amount of pain you have pre op . . I remember having pleasant dreams about having a tooth pulled out, because it was so painful . . and I imagine it's the same with a knee!  Mine wasn't really that bad before the op, so it's taken me a while to decide I'm glad I've done it!!!
    • Posted

My pain wasn't that horrendous before the op it was basically the fact k couldn't walk any distance without being in constant pain. I knew it was going to be a long and painful process but hadn't accounted for the days when I can't stop crying or the total lack of sleep!!! If I nanage 3 hours I feel euphoric!!

I've now got the tightness back and pain at the top of my knee which I didn't have before. I'm assuming it's all the muscle, tendon and nerve endings healing but it's seemsa but hit and miss with progress. Seems one step forward and ten steps back!! I too wouldn't have the second one done!!

• Posted

I think at ten weeks I am beginning to think it was worth it. I did not think  my knee was  too bad before I had it done until I looked at the X-rays before and after. My knee joint was a bit of a mess and the consultant chose to do it before it got to the point I had difficulty walking. I can walk three miles without it hurting now and I am looking forward to the summer. I won't think about having the other knee done until I have too. 
    • Posted

Yes think I will wait until my other knee is getting painful before I think about it, get a few holidays in first. The worse thing of all of this is the time it takes to get back to normal life. I did used to rush around a bit, always out, always planning the next project, guess it has calmed me down a bit? I have got the next few months to sort out the garden and house. 
    • Posted

Sounds good ... I especially like the idea of sorting out holidays!! I've got 3 months off work - back at the beginning of May but have got very used to being at home!! Going to be very hard to go back!!!
    • Posted

I originally went to the doctor while I was still working. Glad I have retired now because I know I would not want to go back! 
    • Posted

Wish I could retire. Won't be for a while yet unfortunately!! 😞
    • Posted

I felt the same way too for weeks! But now at nearly 12 seeks its quite a lot different. Yesterday had my first session in the hydrotherapy pool and was told take it easy - keep to 30" otherwise youll suffer next day. Then went home did 2 hours gardening expecting then to suffer but do you know it wasn't too bad at all! Today have gardened pretty much all day and have pain at the back of knee but its bearable -otherwise OK. So what do I think now ? YES it will have been worth it in the end. Still have some stiffness, elastic band feeling sometimes but its all getting less each day. Close friend of mine is going through hell at the moment and I know he struggles to believe it can get better- but that's how it is when you are in the thick of it as we've all experienced!!
    • Posted

Thanks Tess ... You've given me some hope!! I'm trying to be positive but struggling at the moment!
    • Posted

Just to add to this mornings remarks. My neighbour asked me if I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon. I said yes because the dogs would love it with the weather so nice. Without realising how much it would add  we went a different way and I walked four miles! So tired when I got home iced and rested for an hour. My knee does not hurt!!  Stay positive you will get there! Happy tired dog as well , swimming and running, so lie in tomorrow ! 
    • Posted

hey were right to tell you to keep to 30 mins. . i spent an hour there the first day, because it was so pleasant. . and the next day . .or later that day . .I really did feel terrible!  I thought I would be better at twelve weeks (I'm the same as you) but it's still stiff and a bit sore when I try to improve the bend. . but it is getting there!
    • Posted

I found that the exercise class I did on Thursday helped my confidence so today I did not take a stick. I walked normally, so did not rely on the stick and did not compensate with the other leg. I did not limp at all and we walked across a field, just walked a bit more slowly and concentrated. Probably why I was tired but good tired and not hurting. Feeling very positive! Balance exercises are good, walking putting one foot in front of the other, like the walk the line drunk test? Then backwards. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.