Embarrassment from IBS gas

Posted , 26 users are following.

I'm not sure what kind of help or advice I'm looking for but I really need to share this problem with people who may understand.

I'm 32 and have suffered from IBS for about 14 years. My main problem is bloating, trapped wind and excess gas. Over the years I've learnt what/how to eat to control the bloating and trapped wind. The gas, however, still causes my some really embarrassing problems, especially when it comes to dating.

I don't often meet guys I'm attracted to but recently did meet one. I'm always so terrified of sharing a bed with a guy because of how much I accidentally fart in my sleep. I can spend a whole night trying not to fall asleep because I know as soon as I start to, it's very likely I'll fart.

This leads to impossible situations - trying to stay awake all night and ending up tired or suffering the embarrassment of farting next to a guy I fancy. I've farted a few times recently during the night with this new guy.

I've already read all the advice in the world about foods to avoid to reduce gas. I drink peppermint tea before bed. No matter what I eat, I still can't help farting during the night! A while ago I was very ill for a few days with a flu virus and ate almost nothing for a few days, but I was STILL farting.

I know many people would probably tell me to just mention it to the guy and make a joke of it. I can do that and I'm sure he'd be fine with it. But, it's not just an occasional small fart every few nights (everyone does that occasionally). For me it's usually two or three long loud farts every night! I would totally understand if a guy found that disgusting.

I guess I'd just like to hear from other people who have this same problem. Do you have any unusual tips for how to deal with it? What must guys think to have a girl farting next to them all night?!

I know this must be a very funny post to read. I've laughed while writing it because it is quite comical! But when you're lying in bed next to an attractive guy and you suddenly wake up realising you've just farted, that is definitely NOT funny.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kelly, You poor dear.  I feel for you.  I was farting while reading your post!!  No joke!!  No matter what I eat, I fart.  Period.  I hardly ever had a problem with passing gas when I was young.  I think I'm making up for lost time, lol!!  Well, I'm trying to find something to help myself.  I woke myself up the other night with a loud fart.  That is the first time it has ever happened and I'm way older than you!  I have a son a year younger than you.  It must be so embarrassing when that happens to you with a date.  I hope you  find some relief.  I'm going to try those charco-caps. I've tried the VSL#3 recently which my doc advised me to use two years ago, but my bowel problem got alot better, and now I'm just starting to use it.  It's a probiotic, but I think it makes the gas worse to tell you the truth. I've only had a digestive issue for about 2 years, but the gas problem has really just become a real problem in the past year or so.  Let me know if you find anything that helps.  I'm a female and mother of three and have always been active, healthy and HOT!  Now the only thing hot about me is hot flashes, lol!!  I hope you got a little humor from mine too.  cheesygrin
    • Posted

Pls use devrom internal deodorant tablet it is eliminate ur embarasing odour
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

I read your post and had to laugh..

I have the same exact problem. I am dating too and stay awake all night just so I don't let anything come out.

Have you found any solutions? i'm desprate. I'v tried everything from not eating carbs to taking Beano, I was even tested for differant allergies like gluten and sulfur . Nothing works.. 

• Posted

My case is worse than yours and Kelly's combined. I feel so sorry for myself, and I don't know how much longer I will have to deal with the almost daily public embarrassment.
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

Have you ever tried a pre-biotic? We were recommended one called Bimuno, which basically helps all the good bugs in your gut and balances out everything in there. My husband had terrible IBS and wind, partly due to real ale, but he has been taking Bimuno for about 3 weeks now, and it seems to have made a real difference. If you haven't found anything else that works, its probably worth a shot - you can get it online and in Boots.

Please let me know if you find a solution - there is nothing worse

X

• Posted

My case is definitely worse than yours. I've experienced much worse than you mentioned here. I feel like the whole world is aware of my embarrassing gas problem. People I know and the ones I have no idea who they are make fart noises at me. Some poke fun at me. The embarrassment is so much I feel life isn't worth living. The truth is that I can't change my problem. In fact, it's so psychological that it happens when I'm in public, especially quiet places. I go into sudden sleep and then it erupts without me knowing.

No matter what I do to not fall asleep, it sneaks up on me and history repeats itself. So, you're not alone, my dear friend.

• Posted

Hi Kelly I can truly understand what you are going through, There has been times I suffer all day long with the wind, I always seem to have a bloated stomach, very difficult in social situations and at work. I have always excercised .But I am trying at the moment to cut out biscuits and crisps, these are the two things I have most days. I am drinking a lot more water and I've just started on the magnesuim, one before bed with a glass  of orange juice. I have only been trying for a week, of these changes, I know its early days, very early, but I can honestly say, there is an improvement, will let you know and everyone else if I find anything else that helps atall. 
  • Posted

Have you found any relief? I suffer the SAME problem; I fart in bed next to my boyfriend and I promise you it's a lot worse than when I'm at home. It's like my body mocks me..."oh, you want to sleep and enjoy yourself? TOO BAD! Here's some gas, bloating, stomach pain and overall humiliation instead!" It NEVER happens when I'm home in my own bed.

I find myself not wanting to eat out on a date because of my IBS. When will I have to poop? Will it be AFTER I get to his place? When we're walking somewhere and there's no restroom? 

I've tried gas tablets, diet change, eliminating dairy (other than cheese), probiotics, more water, relaxing. Nothing gets rid of the bloat and gas pains. I've also found when I urinate, I have to wipe my bottom several times even if I don't poop. It's frustrating! 

Sometimes sex can be embarrassing because of all the gas and bloat. I am deeply feared by possibly farting in the middle of action and the mood being ruined. I know my boyfriend would never humiliate me or laugh at me (maybe the situation) but I still can't deal with it emotionally. IBS is so silly yet it creates so much drama.

• Posted

Use devrom internal deodorant tablet
  • Posted

Use devorom internal deodorant tablet for eliminate embarassing odour
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

I may have a tip that might help you. Recently, 3 weeks ago that is, I started the 8 week blood sugar diet to lose weight. I generally eat vegan and also follow my blood group diet foods. Anyway I have been exasperated prior to the 8 week diet by too much gas.

Foods that are necessary to get enough protein and feel satisfied with vegan eating such as beans/soy foods, lentils, nuts, and various veges, would plague me with gas, bloating, wind pain, not too mention the fear of embarrassing noises including weird stomach noises at inappropriate times.

I had felt it was out of control and even though things like maintaining good bowel motions was definitely important, generally I started to think I would never sort this out and I didn't want to resort to any unusual supplements to try and help with it.

Anyway, that was all prior to the 8 week blood sugar diet. After about a week or even less on the diet I started to realise that I had very little gas problem compared to the past. I wondered what could be making this happen and realised it was due to the carbohydrate restrictions. I had no grains except for about 25g rice porridge(before cooking) with a teaspoon of all-bran as breakfast (with flaxseed meal and a little almond milk). The most fruit I would have was occasionally an apple but more usually a teaspoon of dried fruit with a couple of nuts for afternoon tea, and I had about 10mls of lemon juice per day. My rice porridge is the Lowans gluten free brand and it would have about a teaspoon of mixed dried fruit in it too. I also have some grains in the Caro/natures cuppa drink that I have each day.

Today and yesterday however I substituted other foods for some fresh fruit in season (watermelon, rockmelon, blueberries, and strawberries). I probably had about a cup of this fresh fruit on each of these two days.

I still am quite comfortably not perturbed by gas problems however I may have had a slight increase. Something I have also had these last two days is a non-vegan item, some Danone honey yoghurt (half cup each day). I had these because I bought them for visiting family that didn't eat them. I will eat non-vegan in these kinds of circumstances. And have occasionally had a bit of cake at a couple of birthdays too (which blew the calorie and carb allowance those couple of times. Otherwise I've been really onto things with the diet and have lost 2.5kg and some inches too in the 3 weeks.

Anyway, what I tend to think has made the biggest impact is having hardly any grains. I can see I haven't had much fruit either, however the reason why I think the minimal grains especially wheat, spelt, oats etc is the answer is because I don't always have a lot of fruit anyway. In the past I have normally eaten mainly vegetable and grains and tried to tolerate the beans, soy foods, nuts, lentils etc with all the gas.

So to conclude, maybe try cutting out grains except maybe some rice. And if you want to see if fruit is a problem just keep it to a minimum and then gradually increase. Of course I haven't really had any dairy either but I had very little dairy for quite some time while I have been generally eating vegan. So again, I really think the difference is the lack of grains.

I'm not sure now what I will do about not having much grains though 🙁

• Posted

Hi kelly17333. Did you have any success with any of the suggestions? I'm about to start dating and have the exact same worries. Thanks!

• Posted

I came across this post because I swear I have IBS and I thought it was so sweet that I wanted to respond but it's over a year old and since you're the last poster, I'm responding to you.

When the right guy comes along, he won't care about your rumbly tummy and bathroom issues.  I've just started having these problems, but I can understand the feeling of trepidation.  My husband and I have been together for almost 20 years and we've seen each other do all sorts of things and make all sorts of noises in the bathroom and away from the bathroom and we're still madly in love.  Lately I've had a problem with my stomach, lots of flatulence and belching to the point where I really don't know where all of this gas could possibly be coming from.  I'm not too embarassed to go to a public bathroom if necessary anymore.   Anyway, a couple of months ago we were in the middle of an intimate moment - okay, quite in the middle of the moment if you understand - and I passed wind - and it was long.  It's not as if he hasn't heard me belch and pass gas a million times, it was just in that moment I was mortified!  I'm 40, active, in great shape, and I suppose a tad vain.  I was mortified and he laughed and he said that he didn't care, that he just wanted us to continue.  Since then i've passed gas a few more times unexpectedly, but I'll tell you what has helped me.  I take a walk after dinner most nights.  This helps my stomach and digestion settle.  This has helped me to be more comfortable at night, particularly since we're usually intimate at night.  By the way, I pass wind every night when I'm asleep - I'm sure of it.  it's not a big deal.  Really, it isn't.  And, he understands that there are some nights when I just don't feel up to being intimate.  It's okay, too.  Hope it all works out!  Gina.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.