Embolisation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently found out that I have a 16cm by 12cm fibroid. Wanting to avoid surgery I am considering the uterine artery embolisation treatment. Has anyone else had this done and if so what was the outcome?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know it was a long time ago but did you go down this route? And how was it? As I thinking about having it?

• Posted

I had this procedure back in January - it failed :-( .............have since had it re-done again 2 weeks ago, but havent stopped bleeding since. I did find the procedure itself painful, and did have discomfort for a few days after, but would still recommend it as a good alternative to major surgery
  • Posted

Jane,

Did you hear from anybody who had embolisation some 6-7 years ago?

How it worked?

• Posted

Well I had it yesterday after much thought! It was ok during the procedure however after the procedure, I had a fever, sweated a lot and was in a lot of pain. However today I feel better with my stomach feeling like I have period pains.... Can't believe you went back to do it again? Jane not quite sure I would do it again?!? As I felt so sick afterwards!
  • Posted

But like you said still a better alternative to surgery!
  • Posted

HIi Lamypie,

Congratulations that you have survived the worst moments ...

I was at the doctor today. He advised me hysterectomy - but still I am thinking about embolisation. I have two fibroids - 3cm and 5 cm large. I do not know if I am not too old for this procedure - last Saturday I turned 47 ... and a little worried about ovarian failure - it happens pretty often (20%) in women over 45 ...

What do you think of it?

As you are just over the embolisation treatment - PLEASE write and keep us informed of how you are feeling and so on ....

On Tuesday I am starting to do the tests which are needed for the qualification process. It will take some time and then I WILL TRY .....

Sorry, for mistakes but I am not a native speaker of English .... I am Polish and would like to have it in Poland.

Greetings and all the best ....get better Lamypie...

• Posted

Hi Maria, don't think there is age restriction? For those who want embolisation. As I am 34 and NOT had children yet, but I thought it was the best option for me. As I have 5 fibroids! 2 very big about 8 cm each... Plus if you try to remove them surgically it can leave scarring but so can embolisation! Either way in my mind this was less invasive then having actual surgery.

I am feeling ok today but where I had the puncture in my groin it is feeling bruise and sore and yesterday night i had slight fever, still talking painkillers. But all good otherwise!

Well I had CT scan and to be honest if you can MRI scan straight away that is the only scan that can tell you for definite what type of fibroids you have and whether you will be suitable

• Posted

Hi,

I am very glad that you keep in touch and happy that you are better today.

Are you still at hospital?

Did you have to take morphine?

As to the kind of scan, I will have the MRI one ...

I have already made my mind and want to try embolisation,.... although, I guess, I have read too much on the internet about its side effects, complications and long-term effects,which are not necessarily clear sad

All this makes me feel nervous and restless.... Help ...

You had thought about undergoing embolisation for quite a long time. Do you know anybody who had it some years ago?

Well, that is all for now.

Wish you a peaceful night ...Bye

• Posted

Nope not in hospital, went in Thursday came out Friday, resting at home!

Well to be honest, I would be the same after reading all the info... Maybe read femisa website? Don't know anyone on this website who has? So can't give you any reassurance however the femisa has case study of people from over 10 years ago...

You got any questions feel free to ask? And if I can answer I will?

• Posted

Thanks for so quick reply....

Take care and good night smile

• Posted

Hi Lamypie,

I didnt have the surgery again out of choice lol. It was a case of having to, as the first time i had it done in January they failed to block off all of its blood supply, so none of my original problems associated with it went away.

• Posted

Hi Jane, yes I know you would not have it again out of choice? But has it relieve your symptoms now?

Plus did they do another MRI scan on you again before you had it again?

Lamypie x

• Posted

Hi Lamypie,

Yes i had another MRI scan before they did the 2nd embolization prcedure. This time it was sucessful :-) ......i have absolutely no symptoms now, feel so much better! Very pleased with the outcome.

Jane x

• Posted

Hi Jane,

So please for you that it has worked for you. I bet you are relieved and happy!

How long did you leave it before you went for your scan? To see if worked or not?

I sure I have been told 6 months - 12months? However will email the doctor to find out for sure?

Plus out of interest where did you have your embolisation done?

Lamypie x

• Posted

I knew things werent right from pretty early on after this procedure, so nagged the radiologist who did the embolization to get me back in to be looked at. He arranged an MRI scan, where, as i predicted, it was found that the first procedure hadnt worked (the large fibroid ws very much alive and kicking!).

Time-wise...the scan was done about 7 months from the original procedure. Would rather the hospital was kept anonymous x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.