Embolisation - your experiences?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, my uncle, who is at the stadium of gleason 3 + 4, is considering treatment by embolization. Has any of you tried it? What are your experiences? Is it worth trying? Is it good treatment?

Thanks for any help.

Greetings from Poland.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had considered cutting off the blood flow to the prostate which I think is embolization.  My suspect pencil point lesions discoverd by mri were in the outer lobes of the prostate and I wanted to reduce the prostate in the central portions which compress the flow of urine from the bladder so I wouldnt have to take doxazosin to sleep thru the night and not have undo urgency to pee during the day.(fatigue is a side effect I noticed during the day). But I declined after the Dr explained to me that cancer will sometime aggressively spread in an attempt to find a new blood source,,.he was willing to try it since the suspicious lesion was in a different area than the area he would try to cut the blood off in. So that made me very wary of using embolization, I think they try to use that if there is no or very little indication of prostate cancer.  Yrs ago for lung cancer, as I recall, was thought to be controlled by embolization but it was determined the cancer aggressively spread in search of a new blood source. That was my experience, i thought, what a perfect solution, shrink the prostate to solve frequent urination and urgentcy to urinate and maybe even shrink it to keep cancer from even forming but apparently its not that simple as cancer does an end around to go around our attempt to block blood flow. I am not an expert just a patient, so any medical opinions are welcome to hear also, best of luck, I am trying almond milk, natures way brand, from food lion, it is fine though it tastes a little different, pomegranate juice watered down to taste, walnuts, unsalted pumpkin seeds, tastier to me and more fish and less fries and burgers and pizza and drinking mostly water, no sodas.  Still have a little bit too much candy, raisinettes and tootsie rolls. quite a sweet tooth.
    • Posted

no biopsy for me yet.  I have an enlarged prostate and taking doxazosin to trat frequent and urgent urination.t. An mri 3 yrs ago was clear, this august two pencil pt sized lesions showed up, too small to biopsy and they offered to biopsy the area, I asked if I could just mri again down the road and they said lets mri again in two years. MRI was with T3 parametric MRI one of the latest technology,  with the endorectal coil for better imaging at Duke Medical Center.
    • Posted

Duke Medical Center doesn' offer prostate embolization but UNC-Chapel Hill hospital does. It's UNC that I that I talked to.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing! Im gonna tell my uncle to try those healthy nutritions you mentioned smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.