Emergency Gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

My wife has end stage COPD ,emphysema and has to have emergency gallbladder removal, has anyone had any experience of this please , we don't know how she will survive an anaesthetic , are there other non surgical options. Many thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All depends how severe the COPD is - even if it is end stage, and if its a local or a general anaesthetic.  If they can do keyhole surgery just with a local anaesthetic under sedation, then that might be an option.   My dad has got suspected lung cancer that is basically inoperable because he'd never survive going under a general anaesthetic his breathing is so bad.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Kevin, my thoughts are with you and your family.

My wife is on 24 oxygen via a concentrator, and has no mobility , only using a wheelchair and I am looking after her 24 / 7. Just waiting for the results of a second blood test as the liver enzyme count was exceptionally high and possible pancreatitis complications.

• Posted

Has her surgeon spoken about the risks concerning her COPD?  There are always risks, but if it helps, I am 56 with severe asthma and COPD with lung function at 30% and so far I have survived multiple surgeries.  I make sure that my lung condition is known ahead of time.  Of course we are all different and I am not trying to predict the outcome.

I wish her and you the best outcome

Dawn in US

• Posted

Thanks Dawn, that is reassuring, it's just the dread of the unknown.

Trev.

• Posted

Please keep us informed Trevolone....I am stage 3-4 COPD and am concerned too as I have other issues too. Prayers going up for you and her both. 
  • Posted

Praying for your wife...unfortunately it's all I can do.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.