Emergency Self-cath First time

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 54 years old, and I take zero meds for BPH. I have been just managing symptoms by fluid intake and access to restrooms. About 2 years ago I ended up in ER with complete blockage. They sent me home with a Foley cath and My urologist took it out a few days later. He sent me home with self catheters for emergency use. Well up until today, I haven't had to use one... This morning out of the blue, dribble dribble, every 5-10 mins with strong urgency to pee. A few hours later and I had to self cath for the first time. There was a little blood, but I managed to empty my bladder.

My question is, what can I expect for the rest of the day? Week, month? Will I have to self cath all day today?Should I go to ER? Thanks for your experiences!

Bob

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You may want to measure how much comes out each time you cath. That should give you a good idea as to how often you should do it. I only occasionally measure mine now, but I have a plastic measuring container for that purpose. Your wife might not appreciate you using one of her measuring pitchers. I have a pretty good idea of the volume based upon the time it takes to empty my bladder. I have an enlarged bladder. I was retaining 1.5 liters, and I self cath 4 times per day. As Jim said, you may need to do it more often, based on your bladder size and liquid consumption. However, if you haven't started urinating normally, you will probably need to continue to self cath, until you see a medical provider. I can't advise you on seeking immediate medical treatment. You need to make that decision independently.

• Posted

Last time at Urologist, my ultrasound showed that I emptied my bladder well. However flow is not so good and frequency is quite often. Of course good days and bad days. But thank you for the advice.

• Posted

Why the full retention out of the blue? Find out the problem then fix it.

Dave

• Posted

How do I find out? This happened to me 2 years ago, and this is the second time now. I eat well, exercise regularly, I am in great shape! Urologist couldn't tell me why last time.

• Posted

Jim's suggestion about checking for UTIs is a good one.Especially, if it seems to come out of the blue. Happened to me 3 months ago and I wasn't able to make it to the ER. I had just started antibiotics for a UTI the day before. Fortunately, I was able to pee very small amounts (although with great pain) and the episode passed after 2.5 hours. I still had to urinate frequently, in small amounts, for about 3 to 4 days after that. My uro told me it would probably take several weeks to a month to get back to normal.

Buy some Siemen's UTI dipsticks from eBay. Here is the model I use: Siemens Multistix 10 SG. Although a lot of parameters are measured the key ones seem to be Leukocytes, Nitrites and Blood (but pay attention to all of them). I still measure my urine nominally once a day, because I want to try to avoid the excrutiatingly painful episode I had three months ago. Only takes a minute or two to check the urine. Even though the episode happened after a UTI was confirmed and I started antibiotics, use of urine dipsticks would have alerted me to the UTI several days earlier and I could have started the antibiotics earlier (at least that is the hope).

• Posted

To get to the root of the problem requires you getting as smart as you can get about your body/anatomy, then finding the right Dr. that understands your problem and is willing/skilled to fix it (not just treat symptoms). The known course of action from doctors is to play into all the non-invasive stuff first (because that is what every patient wants) and then deal with side effects as they happen. Or, you can keep stabbing yourself with catheters until the cows come home. Your life and your choice.

Dave

• Posted

I I have to wait two months for my appointment with my third urologist. my second refused to give me a prescription for catheters. unbelievable.

• Posted

If you really want/need catheters now, there are ways just by googling. However, you'll have to pay for them.

• Posted

can can you elaborate? I am not finding anyone who doesn't require prescription. could you be more specific thanks

• Posted

Hi, Motto,

I think I an the answer for you. I found this out quite by chance but have not at an opportunity to put it into practice. If the vendor is a true mail-order operation then it is quite legal for them to fill your order without a

prescription. If, on the other hand, you have to register with them in some way, then you need to produce a prescription.

If this is correct, how do you know that you are not getting catheters made from recycled tractor tires, or the like?

I got this information verbally, not in writing, so I would "pussy foot" it ll the way. I myself would like to see written claims that their products are manufactured from surgical grade materials throughout!

Take care, alan86734.

• Posted

I had pretty severe BPH and one day just locked up. I didn't need to self cath very often - every couple of years was all til I had Rezum. You might have only occasional retention or it might be more than that. Keep a supply of catheters and make sure you pack some if you travel. I locked up at an an annual meeting and what could have been an embarrassing event including all night at an ER was a 45 second minor inconvenience thanks to the cath in my bag.

• Posted

Thanks Oldbuzzard,

I have been traveling with catheters for 2 years now, but have not had to use them. I was not sure exactly how to use it this morning as it was my first time.Thank god I had some at home.

• Posted

You had the Rezum procedure done then? I have been contemplating FLA or PAE.

• Posted

I would recommend you get a cystoscopy using a flexible cystoscope asap. Often the onset of acute retention is caused by some kind of physical blockage like a urethral stricture, or a large median lobe closing off the bladder neck or bladder stones as well as other things. A cystoscopy will view these directly. It takes just a minute and is painless so see if you can get one asap. It will also view your bladder wall and see if there is excessive muscling and trabeculation.

• Posted

Bob,

You are experiencing what is very common among us males going towards the 60's and above. My experience? Find an urologist you trust in, evaluate the best possible treatment and hole for the best. I waited for years, denying my problem until an acute urinary retention forced me to the ER and from there it took me 8 months until I finally had surgery and I am really glad I had it done. No medication and all the functions are back to normal. Good luck!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.