Emergency Self-cath First time

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 54 years old, and I take zero meds for BPH. I have been just managing symptoms by fluid intake and access to restrooms. About 2 years ago I ended up in ER with complete blockage. They sent me home with a Foley cath and My urologist took it out a few days later. He sent me home with self catheters for emergency use. Well up until today, I haven't had to use one... This morning out of the blue, dribble dribble, every 5-10 mins with strong urgency to pee. A few hours later and I had to self cath for the first time. There was a little blood, but I managed to empty my bladder.

My question is, what can I expect for the rest of the day? Week, month? Will I have to self cath all day today?Should I go to ER? Thanks for your experiences!

Bob

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bob,

You are experiencing what is very common among us males going towards the 60's and above. My experience? Find an urologist you trust in, evaluate the best possible treatment and hole for the best. I waited for years, denying my problem until an acute urinary retention forced me to the ER and from there it took me 8 months until I finally had surgery and I am really glad I had it done. No medication and all the functions are back to normal. Good luck!!!

• Posted

UPDATE:

Yesterday I stayed close by the toilet all day, drip, drip, drip, until about 4PM when I had a nice long natural void. There were several points before then that I thought I would need to insert the cath again, but enough urine dribbled out to where I let it go. From 4-5Pm I had a few more nice long pees. Such a relief!

I got to the point that I felt confident enough to go out to a family celebration at a close by restaurant at 6pm. I was nervous, but I went and used the restroom , even when I didn't feel the need. The night went well and this morning I am pretty much back to my usual self. I was up twice last night with no struggling to start or completely void, which is normal for me. As always, my flow is not so great but I do empty.

What a rollercoaster day yesterday! But NOW more than ever i want to find the right procedure for me. I have been reading all about all of them for years and I am SO CONFUSED.My wife says do the TURP and be done!

I have my annual Uro appt on the 5th of March and last year he said lets try drugs before surgery. I HATE DRUGS! I never feel like myself when I take them!

I am leaning towards PAE or FLA. I have insurance and cash if needed. If I ask for opinions, I know I will get a lot of differing views... but here goes nuthin!-

Thanks for this forum and all of you men ( brothers in arms ). It has been a great comfort, even though I have not participated too much here, I have been reading for years.

• Posted

I am your exception to the rule here in this forum. My full retention was caused by a prostate that MRI measured at 265g (got pics if you want to see). I had a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy performed last August. This was invasive with 6 small robotic incisions in the abdomen and access to my prostate was achieved by going through the bladder. Dr. skillfully shelled out my prostate lobes like an avocado. Never touched my nerve bundles, sphincters, urethra, etc. All functions are still there, except I do not ejaculate much fluids, which is fine by me (and the wife). And, I pee like a young man. I drink all the fluids I want, anytime I want, including right before bed. Lastly, I take no meds for anything. Much like you, I am anti-meds and have been fortunate with good health. I am 61 years old (62 in April). My problem has been fixed.

Dave

• Posted

Wow! Seems so extreme, but it sounds like you are happy. I don't think I am ready for that. Where and with which doctor did you have this done?

• Posted

Sure it does when everyone wants a magic pill, metal bands, beads, or just an "opening up." Considering all the other non-invasive steps, I am glad I went straight to this procedure. I have a long-term fix for my problem.

I just sent you a private message.

Dave

• Posted

UPDATE: My urination pattern has pretty much returned to my normal self after my bout of ACUTE RETENTION, which is:

Drink a lot of water - pee every 15 mins.

Stay away from water for travel/traffic, meetings etc- pee every 45min- 2 hr

Get up at 1am and 3am to pee, after not drinking past 5-6pm.

Since my retention, on Feb 9th and CIC, I have had an aching in my balls that wont go away. I have an appointment with my Urologist next week.I fear that him sticking his finger up my ass will irritate and cause more pain.

Any thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.