Emotional Ups and Downs/Feeling Isolated

Posted , 9 users are following.

In one week (hopefully), I'll graduate to a walking boot. However, I'm trying not to get depressed knowing that my ankle will never be the same. I've put out so much money for a dog walker thru Wag, but I had to cause my sweet Pomeranian Oliver, was getting depressed too. Here he was going for a walk an hour each day, down to 3, 1/2 hour walks a week. Then there is the cost of having a cleaning crew to come in. Although I have to be thankful for my new friend and neighbor, Chris, who has done so much for me, despite the concussion she's still recuperating from.

So after I get my boot, will I be able to get around using my walker? How about getting down and up one flight of stairs. I know I'll be able to drive my car because I broke my left ankle not my right, and I have my handicap sticker to park more conveniently. I know the swelling is completely gone cause my cast is loose, but even at 5 weeks after surgery, despite all the rest I impose on myself, it'll still tingle if I use it too much. Can anyone share with me what to expect when I get my walking boot?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

June 16 it will be 9 months for me having ankle reconstruction. I was in a cast 10 weeks and in weight bearing boot for 4 and it was so nice to have the weight off and able to rub my foot. I have 2 dogs but they are older and made it thru ok. I am now enjoying planting flowers but still not able to be on my foot for an extended period of time but Dr states it could be up to a year. So do hope you continue to do well
  • Posted

Hi Mary, what exactly happened to your ankle and what type of surgery did you have?
    • Posted

It was a slow twisting move when I slipped on my wet floor causing me to break my ankle in 3 places and dislocating it. They put plates and screws in my inner and outer bones, and left the one behind that to adhere to the other two since it wasn't that serious. It was ten days before I had surgery and next week on June 6 (cast will have been on 6 weeks), the doctor wanted me to come in to get into a walking boot. I'm praying that'll be enuf for me to start the next phase of healing.

• Posted

Great benefits of boot is it's removable. Showering sleeping. If it gets painful. For resting elevation. Bit tricky learning how to get it on yourself but it takes practice. Darn Velcro. And always level walking shoe. Talk to your surgeon ask a million questions or they push you out the door. Write down your million questions. It's your life your body and nobody can feel your pain. Those who have never had this will ever understand how debilitating and damn painful it is. Up till 9 weeks ago I was oblivious to it. Omg what a lesson in life. 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Patience is your greatest friend right now. Month after month

you will be getting more mobile. Do lots of ice with your walking boot.

I'm almost a year now and walk my dogs and clean. I walked with

crutches with the walking boot for about three weeks. May have

been a bit more or less with crutches. I bought two pairs of shoes with

about a one and a half inch heel and wore the heel on my right foot.

That evened out the boot height. I also purchased "Even up" on

Amazon to put on my right foot tennis shoe. Having the extra height

on your right foot to match your high boot on your left foot is necessary.

Good luck Mary! Look ahead. It gets better.

• Posted

Hi yvonne I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one relaying importance of level walking. I'm hearing absolute horror stories about secondary injuries caused by un level walking. I was unable to wear boot for very long but for the short time I did I could feel strain on other parts. I'm 60 and really can't Have any more hassle than aging brings. Can't retire till 67. So a way to go yet. 

• Posted

Hi Mary

I hope you recover quickly! Please dont let it get you down. Things will get better each day!!!

I broke my ankle two years ago and still not well.

I have to have the plates & screws out, of the inside of my ankle. The plates & screws really hurt still.. I'm having surgery on June 23th I can't wait, will be happy to get them out. I have never yet been able to wear my hard booth due to my skin is very thin. And the booth rubs on my skin. I just know the booth is heavy to move around in. I use a Knee Scooter to get around. It's the best I've used yet. Try one of those instead of a walker. Hang in there!!

Veronica

• Posted

Actually I got a knee roller, and it has been a blessing. Unfortunately, I live on the second floor and am unable to get down to take a walk or even get to my car. I'm sorry your recovery time has been so long and that you need a 2nd surgery. I shouldn't be complaining to you since your situation is so much worse. Hope the second surgery is the final one for your full recovery

• Posted

Thanks Mary,.

I'm hanging in there. And I hope this will be my last sugery, to get my life back on track, walking again.

It's been a real long journal, but I can't give up now! Bless you with your healing!

Thanks so much!!!

Veronica

• Posted

I've  Heard of people getting the screws out but not the plates will you have to wear a cast again or a walking boot after you have that done ?

• Posted

Take it one day at a time. You'll have good days & bad but the bad days get fewer. Patience is your friend along with ice! I have found this forum to be the greatest help with information & support. My ankle break was 11/13, surgery 11/18, 2nd surgery 1/11 - on may 13th it was 6 months. That's when I saw a huge improvement. Everyone says it takes a year. Once I accepted this (the Dr didn't tell me; my PT and this forum did) I could handle the ups and downs. Right now it's exhaustion by the end of the day but I'm doing more than I did a week ago, month ago, etc.

Stay positive, embrace the good days & accomplishments, and when you have a bad day, just tell yourself tomorrow will be better. It usually is.

Hang in there! It'll get better!

• Posted

You're making me feel better by making me realize my situation isn't as bad as yours. I'm just hoping my recovery will be swift, I'll let you know! Thnx for your input

• Posted

Yes thankfully I found this forum too. It's been so helpful to me knowing that what I've experienced I'm not alone in. At 60 myself, and seem to think I've read wrong all seem to be around this age, we could all have done without this. Should be out walking and getting about enjoying it... Looks like I still have a long way to go yet though. Today is 7 weeks since my accident and feels more like 7mths!!😢 😢. So so down. Sx

• Posted

Morning Mary. I too have my appointment Friday, mine is 6 weeks after I think? Don't know what day it is now as all the same!! Will hopefully go into a boot and get told I can get some light weight bearing in? But must not kid myself as may be put into another cast? My mind doing somersaults with me thinking something is wrong?like stitches have split or plates screws have moved. As ive cut out the codeine tabs because of constipation my pain has gone up 10fold. 😔. But as the pain was so bad and like you swelling bad too and don't know why as all I've done is stay on my bed, I gave in and took codeine at 3 this morning, but then experienced the mist horrible feeling of being frightened to fall asleep!! 😢. So so down its hard just to put smile on my face. 😢. Wishing you luck for Friday.

• Posted

I took a pain pill last night too because my cast liner was chafing my skin so badly. Next Tuesday will be a big one for me, and I'm assuming that my doctor knows more about my current injury than I do since she wants to take my cast off after six weeks. I just want to see myself moving forward in my recovery not staying in the same place.

• Posted

Hi Mary. Week the cast get taken off and now in a moon boot. Got told I could do some walking straight away!! *but not to forget to elevated and use ice when I'm resting. It is a bit scary to put weight on the foot and om not able to put full weight, or should I say Afraid to put full weight on it!! So still hoping it n dwn steps although not so worried about it. Had my first night in 8 weeks without some kind of cast on it, as consultant said I could sleep without it. Felt a but odd as couldn't find a comfortable spot on my foot. As my heels is sore from the cast and scars are sore to, but healing nicely. Was so nice to be able to wash and spoil my leg with lovely cream to help get rid of the dry skin. Oh wait until you get your off nxt week...... You too can spoil that leg of yours!!! 😁 only nucence is as I was told I could rest without the boot, is putting it back on for the loo and it don't are time to put on so your heel firs comfy, so can't leave it until your busting. Oh this is fun but so happy to get to this stage at last. Back in 4 weeks. Been told that I must be prepared for some hard physio as the break was bad!! So that's the nxt thing. I can't wait to be able to sit behind the wheel of my car.... No pain killers taken as such. Only ibuprofen when the cast came off and put little weight on, but took just in case!! Onwards and upwards!!! 😊

• Posted

Did you get did you get your walking boot, and how are you doing?
    • Posted

Hi Mary. Yes I got the boot!! Great release to get that cast off and see everything and *NO nothing has slit open. Nothing has moved and all healing well... Great. Boot can be a bit cumbersome as it's so big. But do get used to it. Off Friday and can do much more just 2days later. It has given me quite a few sore spots though. One on my heel and across the top of my foot, but think most of the problem is because my skin is very dry and tight but able to take boot off and cream cream cream. Today going to have a nice hot shower and just let the water run all over!!! Such little pleasures. Lol. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.