Emotional Ups and Downs/Feeling Isolated

Posted , 9 users are following.

In one week (hopefully), I'll graduate to a walking boot. However, I'm trying not to get depressed knowing that my ankle will never be the same. I've put out so much money for a dog walker thru Wag, but I had to cause my sweet Pomeranian Oliver, was getting depressed too. Here he was going for a walk an hour each day, down to 3, 1/2 hour walks a week. Then there is the cost of having a cleaning crew to come in. Although I have to be thankful for my new friend and neighbor, Chris, who has done so much for me, despite the concussion she's still recuperating from.

So after I get my boot, will I be able to get around using my walker? How about getting down and up one flight of stairs. I know I'll be able to drive my car because I broke my left ankle not my right, and I have my handicap sticker to park more conveniently. I know the swelling is completely gone cause my cast is loose, but even at 5 weeks after surgery, despite all the rest I impose on myself, it'll still tingle if I use it too much. Can anyone share with me what to expect when I get my walking boot?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mary. My accident was similar to you as I broke my ankle in three places too and now have a nice collection of plates, pins and one big screw in my left ankle. I didn't dislocate as well though.

I ended up in a cast and non weight bearing for seven weeks, the first week of which was while I waited for my surgery. So six weeks from my operation. I was very excited to get that off and go into a moonboot but like you was anxious about how long it might take for that to happen. I was pretty happy when I went to get the cast off when I was told that I could start weight bearing as soon as I was comfortable. Once I got back into the car with the moonboot on I started weight bearing straight away. Even being able to apply a small amount of weight to my foot made me feel much more stable. It didn't take long before I was full weight bearing with a limp and moving around quite easily. But I was able to walk slowly around my house without an crutches a week after I got the cast off. It was so nice to be able to walk around and have my hands free. Such a treat!

It does take a while for things to get back to normal but you will get there. And although your foot might not be swollen at the moment, be prepared that it quite likely will happen. My ankle still swells and I had my accident nearly nine months ago.

Good luck and enjoy getting your cast off.

• Posted

You're making me feel more optimistic for next Tuesday. I hope I have the same experience as you did. 

• Posted

Hey Mary,

I see some really good advice for you from the forum respondents. It's great to have friends in your time of need, even if you will never meet them in person!

As a recovering ankle fracture/sprain patient I understand your fears and doubts. While it seems to be true that some ankle patients never seem to fully recover to a pre-injury ankle healthy state, many surely do get their ankles back. Part of the reason things look so bleak on this forum is that only occasionally, in my experience, do successful patients (whose ankles healed 100% over time) report back to the forum of their full recovery.

So please don't entertain negative thoughts. And if you really want a happy outcome take an active role in your recovery. My experience with orthopedic physicians is that they will gladly spend some time telling you about the awful extent of your injury and what the x-rays show-- but perhaps most of them are more interested in shooing you away (politely of course) without giving you details on next steps to speed the healing and avoiding recovery pitfalls.

When I was mending I spent hours on the internet researching fractures and sprains and gleaning the most helpful info for my case. It has paid off in faster healing and given me hope of a 110% recovery-- that is, an ankle healthier than before my accident.

As just a simple example, the advice on the forum about wearing shoe levelers, or even-up appliances on your good foot shoe when wearing CAM (moon) boots is something your doctor won't tell you. Yet, without leveling foot heights most will experience joint and muscle pains in other parts of the body, such as knees and hips. Remember, every body part is connected to the whole in some way.

Good luck and may you have a problem-free recovery.

• Posted

Thnx.. I think if I didn't live on the 2nd floor of my condo, unable to get down my stairs, I'd be less negative if I could roll around the grounds of my complex. But I do plan on following my PT 110%!

• Posted

I'm so pleased to have someone on my nag wagon about levelling shoe. Unfortunately a lot don't realise this until damage has been dons. I think orthopaedic surgeon should give written care plan. It's bloody negligence on their part. 

• Posted

After reading about this on forums. I've been looking for light shouted with a bit of a wedge and also light, but no success as yet. For so. D reason everything I've tried had been too narrow. Too narrow for my good foot.. What's all that about. Can't afford anything that a fortune. Anyone got any recommendations please!! Sx

• Posted

If you google. "Even up shoe" will show shoe and hopefully where to order from. Amazon have them but don't know how long it takes to get them mailed to where you are. They vary in price as well for same thing. Orthopaedic suppliers appear to charge more.  I hope you manage to get one and let people know how important it is. 

• Posted

Just viewed. The Even up. All pics show it being g worn with trainers!! I don't ow them and wouldn't want to wear them ad they always draw my feet and make them throb. I will carry on looking for a pair of shoes with a bit of a wedge. Sx

• Posted

How many gave experienced sore spots since wearing a boot. Only got mine yesterday and it's making g my foot so sore in different areas. Ooooch sx

• Posted

I think the even up can be used with any shoe. And hell yes boot gave me a lot of pain. I tried extra padding was still no good. OS told me to not use it if it caused me pain. So after trying every thing I ditched it. 
    • Posted

I'm out of mine when resting which is most of the time. Only put it on for walking. Today I have noticed a red mark on my heel!! That's all I need is a blister there. But think it was started in the cast. Asked the nurse who took cast off if anything g was there she told me Mo. But carried on and left bits of dressing stuck to it. The skin over the top of my foot is very dry and tight, so creaming as much as possible. All will take time I know. Will have another look at the shoe things ad I thought they were very expensive. Didn't get much sleep last night as I've been able to cut down on meds due to reduction of pain, but then couldn't sleep as the meds make me sleepy 😴 😴. Cut win lol. Sx

• Posted

Hi Sandra. And I so understand the pain all this crap causes. And I know I'm a nag about the even up shoe. My son in laws mom has displaced hip caused by uneven walking in boot. A year of pysio no better. Looking at hip replacement in near future as her damage to hip is putting strain on other hip joint. My friends injured foot is twisted from 12 weeks in boot. Husband still limps from uneven walking in cast as a child he had full cast hip to toes for a year. My nephew has a deformed hand thanks to poorly applied cast. I'm afraid I'll just nag everyone about this. Secondary injury is so common. But drs treat us and send us on our way with very little information then get annoyed because we turn to doctor google. 

• Posted

Yes I see where yr coming from Jenni. My knee has started to ache due to being in even. So will definitely be looking into getting a even up shoe. This has cost me money I haven't got. Lol baths eat £30 waterproof bag for cast £18 long handle brush for scrubbing what I can't reach and extra pillows for elevating. A pair of shoes. That I thought would do the trick. But too heavy to even get off the ground!! These even up thingy should be able to buy from clinic.... But I'm better today than I was yesterday so onwards and up I say...... Sx

• Posted

I'm so pleased that your seeing the importance of levelling. I used a wedged thong type shoe asn luckily for me they have an adjustment strap and are my favourite shoe. At least now you don't have the expense of waterproofs. And you can soak if pain gets bad. I see GP tomorrow   Wound almost healed. Got some new bruising since I've been bearing weight. I actually drove myself th shop today on my own. Felt human Sunday is a fairly quiet. day so not much traffic,didn't hurt at all. Ive ditched the wheelchair completely and picked up a box of milk and holy crap it hurt. Most things I've used the chair to carry stuff and used upper body strength but 3 lousy litres of milk the weight was far too much. I won't be working for a while yet. Bugger. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.