emphysema

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all,

i have emphysema does anyone know what the government say about people with this condition.

i phoned doctors and only advice they gave was go on to 111 website

thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are on the at risk list as it is a lung disease.Take care

• Posted

Thank you that is what i thought but my doctor surgery just advised me to look on 111 website.

• Posted

As Reglois said you are on the high risk register, This virus attacks the lungs so be extra vigilant call 111 if your breathing becomes more laboured they will advise you of the next steps. Good luck and take care

• Edited

Hi Karl65895,

If you have a mobile phone, and it is registered with your GP/Hospital Doctor, they will send you texts each day, to provide you with information. I received my first one yesterday, and am not allowed to leave my house, and to get fresh air, I am allowed a short sit in front of an open window. No exercise or wandering in the garden, to the shops or elsewhere. I must not get closer than 2ft away from the people I actually live with, including Partner, however difficult that might be. Those were Monday's instructions.

This morning I received a 2nd text, and it only highlighted the message which everyone else is being told, to stay indoor, avoid work, going out, being in contact directly with other people outside of my family. (except I cannot enjoy that small contact, either).

As I typed this, I have received another text directly from Coronavirus, which now tells me to keep further away (3-feet) from family I live with. I must not share a bed, cutlery, crockery, towels, bathroom if possible to have my own, and if I do have to share, then I must use it first, and it must be cleaned between each person using it. Door handles should be cleaned by each person between use, each person should sit away from me. No visitors allowed, except essential carers. This should do for now, I cannot recall anymore, and can only advise you to again talk to your own GP, who would then take your phone number and provide you with individualised assistance depending on need.

But, this was my message. You are likely to receive an entirely different one, if your condition suggests it. Please talk again to your GP, and do not allow them to poo-poo the idea as your illness alone can cause death, without catching the virus, as you will already be aware and your GP would confirm the message you should have received, which is very likely different from mine.

Please let us know how you get on with calling your doctor

GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

Thanks for the information i called GP surgery and all i got was go on 111 website. The thing that does worry me that i use London transport. If i do not get anything to say stay at home i will have to got to work via London transport.

• Posted

Are you an essential worker?, hospital, doctor, nurse, police, fire, army etc, if not you are not supposed to go to work.

• Posted

I am a security supervisor and according to SIA we are being added to the list

• Posted

How very odd. All the instructions you just ran thru are the ones given here IF a person gets the virus & must live with others.

• Posted

Hi aitarg35939

To explain the reason for my letter being so like it'd be for people with this virus, I should have mentioned the letters are written accordingly with the information held on the data base and in my case it revealed how badly my lungs are affected by COPD, so would need to have the strictest messages possible. If you've been admitted to hospital in a bad way, in the past, then that information is included when they decide who receives a letter. When I was admitted it was touch 'n go on whether I'd pull through, so it would need to be considered when the letters were sent out, just so I take every precaution possible, to avoid catching the virus. This fact would likely match someone with the virus, from what I've seen on TV, which would also explain how important it is, for me to stick to the rules.

Hope this reveals the reasons to you, as to why my letters contents would appear to suggest I had already got Covid 19, which is just about the status of my Lungs and general level of health. (Bet you wish you hadn't mentioned it, now ? lol). A lot of repetitive words as I couldn't think how to explain it simply. Now, I've made it more complicated than it is already. Apologies.

Best Wishes to You with Avoiding the Virus and may Good Health come your way instead.

• Posted

We're not getting those letters here. My lung doctor's message 5 weeks ago was to stay home, stay away from everybody and under no circumstances should i go inside any medical building unless i needed to go in via ambulance, even tho both he & i knew that i was sick with something (& went on ABs & steroid tabs in addition to my daily 5 lung meds). This was weeks before The Orange Idiot quit calling the virus a "Democratic hoax."

i have bronchiectasis, spend many hours daily doing lung treatments with 2 machines and have been hospitalized for my lungs. Everybody in this forum has bad lungs.

• Posted

I have not been contacted at allI am in the very high risk group having serious advancing lung conditions and am on 24/7 oxygen, seems here you are left to your own devices and sense. !!!

• Posted

Meanwhile here in the States, with 1/4th the Chinese population, we have more cases than they had.

Leaving us to our own devices is not working.

• Edited

There are always selfish idiots that think being told to isolate infringes their rights, can't believe the scenes I see on the TV in London !!!

The UK was very behind in declaring a sort of lock down, how can they tell if people that are are out and about are on legitimate business, they have no signed legal papers( like here) etc declaring on their honour that they are out fetching drugs for some one elderly or getting food etc.

• Posted

Absent martial law, here in Texas they won't be able to enforce anything.

Meanwhile, i've got all sorts of folks offering to shop for me, including an old church friend who's 70, older than i am, who goes everywhere by bus! i don't want bus germs, lol. 3 younger households on my block all offer. But, i LOVE grocery shopping & know no one as good as i am at picking fruit & veg. I happen to have N95 masks, which is more than they've got. My Canadian friend who's trying to escape Italy tomorrow morning wants her nephew here to shop for me -- he's got 4 kids under age 8 AND his wife runs a kiddie daycare center. If there's one set of cooties i don't want, it's cooties from that house. i'm good into next week, when i'll need milk for me & bananas for the dog. He's old and gets twice daily med rounds in banana pieces. If the virus has mushroomed here, we'll live quite well w/o those things.

The bottom line is that i do not think I can send a non-relative out in my stead.

• Posted

I wont let any one else shop for me either, not even my daughter. the supermarket is very good here and I get preferential treatment + I have a disability card which gets me to the front of any queue, so really it is safer for every one that I shop for myself, besides I know I haven't got that long on this earth so why risk some one that has much longer. Not being brave or self effacing just facing facts, I don't see any one here, live way out in the sticks so I am no threat to any one when I go to the shops which is now very rarely and usually for the dogs as one is highly allergic to dog food so has to have turkey. Bless Aldi nearly always have turkey breast in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.