emphysema

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all,

i have emphysema does anyone know what the government say about people with this condition.

i phoned doctors and only advice they gave was go on to 111 website

thanks

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI KARL 65895,

JUST A LITTLE BIT OF INFORMATION THAT MAY HELP YOU.ON THE BBC WEBSITE, THERE IS SOME GOOD ADVICE IF YOU CHECK-OUT THE NEWS SECTION, ANOTHER HEADING BELOW IS NAMED CORONAVIRUS AND THERE YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF UPDATED REGULARLY, CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE WAYS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS,

IF YOU ARE A KEY-WORKER AND USE THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT, IT COULD BE WORTHWHILE COVERING YOUR FACE WITH A SCARF OR ANOTHER TYPE OF COVER. ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE EVIDENCE SUGGESTING A MASK IS NOT VERY HELPFUL, IT MIGHT HELP YOU TO FEEL LESS THREATENED WHEN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO OTHERS. YOU COULD ADD THE SCARF TO A MASK IF YOU HAVE THOSE.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WEARING GLOVES, BUT FOR THAT YOU MUST AVOID TOUCHING YOUR OWN FACE, WHICH IS ALWAYS SO VERY TEMPTING WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED NOT TO. KEEPING YOUR HAIR AWAY, OR TUCKED UNDER A HAT WOULD BE USEFUL TO AVOID YOUR HAIR BEING CARRIED INTO YOUR MOUTH, OR FROM THE CONTACT OF OTHERS. SITTING AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO VENTILATION MIGHT HELP. THAT WAY, YOU WOULD AVOID FEELINGS OF PANIC AND THE BREEZE SHOULD HELP TO BLOW AWAY FROM YOU, ANY STRAY DROPLETS.

IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DISTANCE YOURSELF IN THE CITY WHILE TRAVELLING TO AND FROM WORK, AND THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ANY SIMPLE SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM THAT I CAN IMMEDIATELY THINK OF HERE. THE ONLY THOUGHT I WOULD CONSIDER IS COVERING YOURSELF AS FAR AS IS REASONABLE, BUT AVOIDING CONTACT WITH THE PROTECTIVE GARMENTS WHERE THEY COULD BE CONTAMINATED FROM THOSE JOURNEYS BY OTHERS CLOSE-BY. YOUR BOSS OR SENIOR PERSONNEL SHOULD MAKE ALLOWANCES FOR YOU, IF YOUR HEALTH WARRANTS THIS, AND WOULD APPLY AT NORMAL TIMES, TOO. TRAVELLING EARLIER WOULD BE A GOOD ALTERNATIVE. OR MAYBE LATER IF THAT SUITS THE BUSINESS BETTER. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOUR SUPERIORS ARE AWARE OF YOUR CONDITION AND SO CAN SUPPORT YOU BETTER IN MAKING THE CORRECT CHOICES FOR YOU.I AM SURE THEY WOULD NOT WISH TO BE TAKEN TO A TRIBUNAL FOLLOWING THIS VIRUS, BY YOUR LOVED-ONES, FOR FAILING TO ENSURE YOUR HEALTH CAME BEFORE THE JOB, AND FOR THEIR FAILURE IN MAKING ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOUR DISABILITY.

I AM SURPRISED THAT YOUR GP HAS NOT BEEN HELPFUL IN DEALING WITH THIS, AND CAN ONLY ASSUME THE WORKLOAD FACED IS PERHAPS TOO GREAT FOR THEM AND/OR THEIR ABILITY. MAYBE YOUR SYMPATHETIC CONCERN FOR THEM COULD WORK BOTH WAYS. BUT, I WOULD NOT EXPECT THAT TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON.

HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL MANAGE TO STEER CLEAR OF THE VIRUS AND CONTINUE TO WORK HAPPILY IN THE CITY FOR A LONG TIME TO COME. GOOD LUCK.

GEORGY0

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply very useful

• Posted

The criteria I have seen used is if you have severe copd you are considered high risk and should self isolate. Less than this you are are considered to be 'just' at risk. However as you are at risk, whether you work in essential services or not, you need to be able to stay at home. If your job can be homebased fine, if not you should still stay at home.

My brother-in-law works for the DWP so is an essential worker but has asthma so he is at home. Check out the advice online for at risk workers then have a chat with your employer. Your needs are given priority over your employers needs so stay safe and well. x

• Posted

hello ,

thank you for your reply last time i got tested was January 2019 and at that time it was minor emphysema and i have received not test or letter

• Posted

i have moderate COPD but i still had s text advising me to stay indoors for 12 weeks

• Posted

I have mild copd which means I am at risk but not high risk and am under 70 so I won't get a letter either. I understand only high risk people are. x

• Edited

Hi to All,

Having just read through every single one of the messages again, that Karl65895 started, there appeared to be something in each one that I found extraordinary for something so serious. I live in the UK, just like Karl although I don't live in the city anymore and now live in a small village with miles of countryside all around me.

BUT-

The Theme I noticed while reading through each message, was how little each of us is Really being told, or Really being Cared-for by our individual areas/countries. So many conflicting messages, so many things are said that do not match anyone else's. That is So Wrong.

I cannot begin to work out Why Karl, who lives in the UK like me, has not received any of the information that I have and when asking, he is almost shown the door. That is Wrong.

Why is one person given the essential information in a letter sent 5 Weeks back, while another receives no information at all, even now when it's upon us all. That is Wrong.

In consideration of what I have read, in each message on here, I have decided my best option could be to make the searches myself, and while I am still receiving updates, I shall continue to read them, and adhere to them, but will top them up with my own investigations. Then, if I find something and it has supporting evidence, I shall pass it on to all the people here, so we are ALL kept Safe and Protected.

Meanwhile, I cannot help but continue to live in the Hope, WE ARE ALL KEPT CLEAR OF "IT", AND LIVE TO TELL THE TALE. Good Wishes to You All.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.