Endometrial cancer - what were your symptoms?

Posted , 147 users are following.

Women with endometrial cancer have a variety of symptoms that differ between individual women, and, after diagnosis, many women wish they had acted earlier on something they thought was irrelevant.

If you have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, please feel free to contribute your symptoms to this discussion, so that others reading this might get an earlier diagnosis.

12 likes, 227 replies

227 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 62 years old. Went through menopause in middle 40's. No pregnancies. I had spotting about three years ago when I missed a couple does of my HRT. Since then everythings been fine. I woke up a week ago Friday morning with bleeding. Not just spotting bright red blood that gussed out lasted 7 days. Called my Gyn/OB she ordered a transvaginal ultrasound. It showed endomentrial thickening. Saw her last Thursday for an edomentrail biopsy in office.  She wasn't about to perform due to small cervix (couldn't get enough clamps on to open up to see endometrial lining. I'm now scheduled for a hysteroscopy under general ansthesia on the 16th to evaluate my endomentrial lining (It never occured to me to ask how much the lining was thickened). I have some tenderness on the lower left side and I have abdomenal bloating like some of the others on this forum have mentioned. I'm trying to think positive that it's just a hormone imbalance. I guess I'll find out the end of the week. 

• Posted

Hi there, 

Im 28 and had recently had abnormal spotting in between my periods. I have neever had this before but have always had heavy periods. I went to the OBGYN and she set up an ultrasound. I have a 10mm polyp on my uterus wall. I immediately thought to myself..cancer. She put me on Birth control, and told me i have nothing to worry about but i cant get it out of my head. 

She told me that the Birthcontrol might shrink the polyp, And i was set up for another ultrasound in January. If it does not shrink she will remove and do a biopsy. I am so scared. I really want to have children, i am getting married in less then a year, and I am so terrified it could be cancer. I do trust my doctor, but you never know. 

• Posted

Hi I signed up just to reply to you. I was experiencing the same things. But on top of it I did not have a normal menstrul cycle. I am 30 but have been experiencing these things for some years now. I had multiple ultrasounds and they seen cycsts but my doctor kept telling me to take birth control and it would help them possibly go away. Well I changed doctors and went to a different ob/gyn. She did a normal papsmear and another ultrasound. It to her was abnormal, I did my own research and requested a biopsy.. Even though she tried convincing me I was fine. Cancer is strong in my family. I had a biopsy my results were devastating to me. I have pre- cancer so many cancer cells she said she almost wanted to call it cancer. I am only 30, I have been married for 11 years. We have no children and have tried for years but I never got pregnant. She gave me medicine called medroxyprogestrone. It is to help shed the lining in my uterus that is filled with the cancer cells. If it does not shed it I will have to have a hysterectomy. I go on January 6,2016, to find out what my future holds. It is devastating to have tried for many years to get a doctor to listen to my concerns. They brushed me off like I was a hypercondriac and now I an my husband are left to deal with this. Tell your doctor you want a biopsy, dont be afraid. It is just uncomfortable, but it will give you peace of mind. I pray for your case that you will not have the same outcome as me.
    • Posted

Hey Brenda and Mcala,

I'm 28 also and have just been diagnosed with a polyp on the endometrial lining that is 1cm width and 1.5 cm long, and I've been bleeding since last october. My nanna has suffered from polyps that turn cancerous for a long time and last had them in her rectum, so when I was told I had a polyp I immediately thought about cancer too. Especially since the major symptom is heavy bleeding between periods and since I started I've only had two or three days free of blood. 

Mcala, did the birth control shrink the polyp?

I'm scheduled to have a polypectomoy, a hysteroscopy, and a D&C in the next month or so to remove my polpy, maybe you could have the same thing done? They will also take some swabs of my lining and send them off for testing.

Brenda, did the medication help shed the lining? I hope everything is working out for you, the medication works and you shed the lining to make way for a healthy lining that allows you to get pregnant. It sounds very devestating, and it's always horrible when the people we rely on most let us down and brush us off.

I hope you both are getting better and experiencing relief.

• Posted

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2004 after suffering in pain for years. In 2015 I started getting these pains in my pelvic and low abdomen area- felt like the endometriosis was coming back. Then I began having excruciating pain in my lower left pelvic and left hip that goes into my back- for about 10 months now. Dr. Says it can't be endo cuz I don't have any female parts, but I've been reading on here that it can be. Also, I have now begun to have light pink blood these past couple of weeks? Should I be really worried?

• Posted

I am a 53 year old Woman, who has been having heavy uterine bleeding since September 6th,,now it is Dec.22nd, at first unusual menstrual cylce thinking peri menopause, ,then I work in mfg. Endiscopes and am required to wear all white clean room garments. I was bleeding though all my super plus tampon,pads and clothing. So after 1 months made a Drs. Appointment, sent to the ER,labs done and vaginal ultrasound, discussed after next day appointment with a gynecologist app.that it was looking suspicious most likely cancer by visual exam Many biopsies done ,,Stat on results..came back negative.That was in Oct..bleeding stopped for only 2 weeks. Now I am seeing a onocologist for breast issues and have lost my Mom at age 56,in 1994 from matasized breast cancer, also 2 siblings had full bi lateral mascetomies. .and I was facing calcification found in my breast as well ..was forced to get a 2nd opinion for heavy eturine bleeding 2nd opinion over a desk..agreed possible Miranda iud to help control my heavy bleeding with progesterone. . My 2nd opinion Dr. Suggested to my own gyn.to perform a sonohystergram, went on 12/21/16 and the light pinkish watery blood was all backed up and the only test were able to perform without adding extra fluids into me which could backup on bloidstream? was an external AND internal ultrasound AGAIN. Dr called in by Technican to view the image now on a flat screen monitor on a wall..so the image shows a very thick 13mm cervix, (AGAIN) MORE labs,,anemia,,and no fibroid tumors but very suspicious lesions? on my endometrial lining. STAT appointment made for the OR ..biopsies were done today with D&C..now waiting on Pathology results,,but no polyps found either during procedure , hmm.making me sign all witnessed paperwork,,Dr. Apologizing for not being more pro active and saying biopsies done in the exam room in Oct...is not a safe way to collect a specimans,,since doing it randomly, she could of missed the affected area..so this is where I am tonight,,Not going to be much of a Christmas. .dealing withup upcoming mastomy being scheduled soon with Genetic testing.,Dr. Mentioned if a hysterectomy is to be performed can't be performed local to the difficulty ,,so any words of encouragement? I feel I am basically waiting on what stage I'm at for cancer ? Does any of this sound familiar. .pls.give me advice?

• Edited

I was 62 and it had been 15 years since my final period (2000) when I noticed tiny spotting on my panties. I barely noticed it, as there was no discoloration when I wiped. It happened again the next day, so I called my doctor to be on the safe side. This was a Thursday and she had me come in the next day. If I had not called her, I would have dismissed the whole event, as there was no further spotting. She saw something she didn’t like and sent me for a biopsy. The diagnosis came back as complex atypical endometrial hyperplasia. I was sent to a gyno and she and I made the decision to go ahead with surgery, just to be on the safe side and because of the stage of the hyperplasia. Three weeks later, I had a da Vinci Robotic-Assisted? surgery, which removed my uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and ovaries. The surgeon did a deeper biopsy and it was found to be stage 1 endometrial cancer.

A couple of days later I noticed an obvious absence of a possible symptom of the cancer that I had tried to cover up for months. THE ODOR. The smell was gone. I must have been able to smell my cancer, but I didn’t know that’s what it was. It was an almost period-like damp, dusky odor of old blood, mixed with something else I couldn’t pinpoint. It wasn’t strong, but it was there for quite awhile before my diagnosis. I figured it was one more post-menopausal issue to grin and bear.

I should have been more observant. 37 years prior to this time, I had surgery to have children and had suffered from severe endometriosis in my youth and had awful periods. I also had tumors and had part of an ovary removed as a result.

Now I know better. Don’t grin and bear anything! Tell your doctor any and everything that seems different. You just never know.

• Posted

Hello, I know this post is kind of old but I'm hoping to see what you think of this... I am 28 years old and have pcos, delivered two babies and have had nothing but issues with my period. Over the past year things have gotten worse my periods happen every 3-4 months but now they last for 2-3 months at a time and when they start they are extremely heavy with large clots. I've been on my period for three months now with a fairly slmon/pink-red colour. Earlier this year I had a brown/black discharge.I've had an ultrasound done and it came back stating that I have two fibroids and a thick lining 13mm. The endocrinologist I've seen sent me for an ultrasound and didn't like the thickness of the lining so they referred me to a gyno and is having a biopsy done. I'm very alarmed because they called me to do the biopsy as a rush as it was only the day after my ultrasound. Any thoughts on this? I have no one else to relate to when it comes to this so any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• Posted

I see you are messaging another person but I am experiencing similair things. They are sending you to get the biopsy because if they catch anything early (like my case of pre-cancer) it is always better. I go for my second biopsy tomorrow to find out if the meds they prescribed have helped me enough. So that at the age of 30 I will not have to have a hysterectemy. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding! I literally am open to anyone responding to my post. Did you experience anything other than what I listed? Because I have pcos my periods have always been irregular it's just been within the past year though that everything is way worse. I also have two fibroids but the thickness of the lining worries me. Let me know what you think and thanks again for your response!

• Posted

Hello.I'm 34 I been having a lot going on myself. Back in Sept I started having my menstral last up to two weeks at a time. Went to see my ob gyn he did an ultrasound and pap. Pap was normal ultrasound showed my lining was thick. Then he did a biopsy which came back normal. But now I been experiencing bleeding for 16 days straight. I would maybe stop bleeding for a day or two. My Dr. Want to put me on the IUD but I'm very concerned about the bleeding. I also had my tubes tied 11 years ago. I never had any issues with my periods. It's getting real frustrating for me. I think I want to have a second opinion done. Has anyone went thru what I'm going though?? HELP...

• Posted

Hi did you ever go for your biopsy ? If they do a biopsy on you and the thickness comes back as normal I would ask them for some type of a thinning medication. I was originally put on the metro you progesterone but when I went for my second biopsy they put a mirena, and me and took me off of the medication. They said the mirena is better as it goes directly to the uterus and will make you shed quicker. The good news is is I was at 100% pre-cancer cells and now I'm down to 10% I just hope that it continues to get better.

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I did go yesterday my lining is still showing up at 18mm and that's the same as the July ultrasound (I thought it was less than that so that was a little shocking) I was a nervous mess but all in all I expected the biopsy to be much worse (however I took two Advil before going in so maybe that helped). She said I'm young and it might just be from missing periods but she's leaning towards it being hyperplasia and if it's that I will know at my next appointment. For now I will be on provera for 6 weeks to stop the bleeding. She also wants me to bring in merina to the next appointment and start that so we can try avoiding surgery if it can be controlled that way. I'm so happy you are having improvements with your IUD that gives me so much hope if I'm dealing with the same thing and it sure sounds like it's headed that way.

• Posted

Hi Latoya, I would get a second opinion to put your mind at ease. I was very hesitant to get one myself but now the gyno I'm seeing is amazing and more thorough than my previous doctor. Ask about maybe taking provera to have a period to shed a good amount of lining and tell them you want a follow up ultrasound. An IUD will help to control the thickness of the lining and thin it out to where it should be. I just had my first visit yesterday with my new doctor and she's explained all of this to me. Did the biopsy and now it's the waiting game. From what she's explained the IUD is the route to go after I take the provera to stop the bleeding maybe ask about that too. I hope you are well and let us know how you make out!

• Posted

Brenda! What a wonderful news! Love to read it! !! Thank you for sharing your fantastic news! !!!

Well done!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.