Endoscopy Experiences

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I am due to ha an upper Endoscopy in 3 weeks time and would like some reviews on experiences to calm my nerves. I am having sedation due to being scared but reading some of the reviews about being aware and struggling against it has made me worse, can anyone who has recently had this done put me at rest, I am 66 and already on 2 1/2 mg of diazepam a day. Thank you 🤔

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

How did you find it?  Hope it all went ok.

• Posted

I am so sorry Alan I did not get a notification telling me you asked how my endoscopy went last September, it went into my spam! However just to let you know it went well, I was not sedated and coped very well with it, I had the throat spray and concentrated on breathing through my nose the 4/5 mins it took. I went in with every intentions of being sedated but the doctor persuaded me not to lol. I was diagnosed with a small hiatius hernia but still have this dreadful excessive saliva 24/7 in my mouth. I am seeing a doctor at hospital on 19th July. I hope you got sorted and sorry again for the late reply! Take care! 
  • Posted

Hi

I had one done last week. I opted for the throat spray however once in the room and about to have the mouth guard put in I was told that this would not be possible and I would have to have the sedation. I was given the injection and of began I did not feel any pain really I remember gagging a little toward the end of the procedure when it was comming out but no pain at all... the Only thing was I appears to have dribbled a lot.. If you have the sedation you have nothing to worru about i don't really have any memory of it just the mouth guard going on and the start if the tube and then comming round good luck x

• Posted

Mine I had last September Lisa, no sedation and I was fine, glad you were too x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.