Endoscopy NO Sedation

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hello, Had my first endoscopy a few days ago (I suffer from panic disorder) and was scared stiff of having it done the night before i was due to have it done i was thinking of not going.

As was going to have it with sedation but have read alot of horror stories on the internet about people gagging, being sick, pulling the endospope out, having to be pinned down So you can see way i was scared stiff.

But i found the courage to go to the hospital to have it done the nurse asked me if i wanted sedation i said no way so she said OK the dr will have a word with you.

The dr came in and asked me again about sedation and i said no so he said ok we will do it TRANSNASAL so no need to go through the mouth no need for sedation and I have to say it was a alright procedure a slight bit of dicomfit in the nasal passage (brought a tear to my eye) but i was able to breath properly and also talk no gagging and best of all NO sedation.

It took intotal 5 mins to have the endoscope done and a further 5-10mins in recovery and then home.

If you have one coming up phone and ask about having it done TRANSNASAL as it is a pleasent way of doing it.

3 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im only 19 and had my first endsocopy 3 months ago, it was the worat thing of my life!

I was in hospital for a week with terrible stomach pains and pains in my side,  struggling to keep food down, so I had xrays, ultrasounds, ct and they asked me to go for an endoscopy.  Yes I was terrified and was told I could have both throat spray and sedation. But when I arrived they asked me to choose one, I thought sedation it will make me a dazed and wont know whats happening, I had 2mg, well procedure started and that wasnt enough. I basically had no sedation at all. 

So I would highly recommend a higher dose then 2mg, im posting this because im still in the same situation as I was in hospital. 

Im currently at a private clinic still on NHS and have to have a mti scan but have a sneaky feeling ill need another endsocopy,  im going to demand to be knocked out all together if so. 

And endsocopy was the worst thing ever no exaggeration. 

• Posted

I had my endoscopy, 4 years ago, the 'Not Knowing' was worse than the procedure. When I say the not knowing I mean how it would go for me. I chose not to be sedated. Im a big whimp when it comes to hospitals and needles and knew I needed the test, but to avoid the needle,sedation that was a bonus! However the whole procedure wasn't painfull, throat spray tasted nice, and numbed my throat, didn't like belly filled with air, but that only felt a little discomfort, stomach samples didnt feel and was over and out within 10 mins. Diagnosis - Hertias Hernia. I have another 1 in 4 weeks, now I know what to expect really chilled about it. And I have Anxiety. If your having one best advice don't read to much into it you'll be fine. smile ps apologise gramma/spelling (Dyslexic)
    • Posted

hi

im having my first endoscopy on 25th novemeber very scared only about the gagging bit dont know what to do throat spray or sedative only gonna take like 5 mins need help on people views on this please much info will help me.

• Posted

Hi Samatha,

I had my second one now, I think how your feeling is natural for anyone about to have this procedure. I can't realy comment on having the procedure with sedatives, but can without. The nurses are lovely and talk you through the procedure and are realy warm and caring. The Dr puts this numbing spray in your throat, which works wonders, I gage with a tooth brush on my tounge, however this wasn't the case during the Endoscopy, they put a plastic mouth peace in your mouth and as they pass the camera they ask you to swallow, but I never felt anything in my throat. Before you know it the procedure is over and done with. I was in and out within 10 mins, and think after 'why was I worried' - but fear is a natural feeling and I think 'Feel the fear and do it anyway' - 

• Posted

Hi Jon

yes im going for just throat spray as need to be at hospital again the next day with my son yes was really worried about gagging as brushing my tongue i gag cant wait for it to be over and done with.

• Posted

I had my sedation free endoscopy yesterday. Procedure was done by student and experienced doctor. The bigest help was the nures, she was wispering on my ear with gentle voice that i am doing good, to breath trough the nose and exhale through the mouth while she was cuddle my hair and shoulder. That relax me so much.

The whole procedure wasn't painfull, throat spray tasted likie Bannanas, and numbed my throat ( he sprayed good 6-7 times), didn't feel belly filled with air, stomach samples didnt feel and was over and out within 10 mins. 

The 'Not Knowing' was worse than the procedure. 

• Posted

I had an endoscopy without sedation yesterday and it was MUCH easier than expected. Deep breathing and focus got me through. It is such a short procedure, not worth being drugged up for 24 hours!
  • Posted

So far, I have only had one endoscopy and I am hoping it will be the first and last. I'm sure it's fine if you choose sedation and get the right amount of sedation! However...I was given a minute amount of the drug commonly used for this procedure (Midazolam) and therefore spent the whole ten minutes or so retching and vomiting. Even the consultant remarked that he couldn't get a good view due to this! I was in shock for a good couple of hours after this and was in tears. I later spoke to my doctor who told me that I should have been given a larger dose and that they should have checked I was sedated enough before going ahead. I felt as though I was being rushed through everything. The moral of this story is....if you are an adult weighing over 12 stone and opt for sedation, just make sure the amount of midazolam they give you is is over 2mg!!!

• Posted

I had my endoscopy two days ago.  I was really nervous in the run up - I am really anxious about any possible restriction to breathing since waking up during a minor op while still paralysed by the drug they give you to stop you moving during ops.  I now have panic attacks when at the dentist so the thought of having a tube put down my throat was terrifying.  I even panic if I have a sore throat as I worry my throat will close and I won't be able to breath.  Anyway I was not looking forward to the endoscopy.  However, I have to say it was a breeze!!!  I first had the throat spray.  I was anxious at this stage as it feels like your throat is closing.  I was immediately asked to lie down on my side and they administered the sedative.  Almost immediately I relaxed.  I remember them outing in the mouth guard and little else.  Shortly after Thenprocedure was complete and Imbecame aware again.  A real breeze.  I can't stress how easy it was.  Highly recommend throat spray and sedation.

• Posted

I had a gastroscopy with sedation and as soon as the sedation was administered intravenously, the next thing I knew, I was waking up in a recovery room. I do not remember anything about the procedure and contrary to what some people have said, I felt no ill effects after the sedation. In fact, I felt very relaxed for the rest of the day and had a great sleep when I got back home.

I recommend having sedation, every time!

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for the information given, I am due to have an upper Endoscopy in 3 weeks and I am absolutely petrified. I will have sedation but hope the horror stories on here are not true, people saying the sedation did not work and they were choking and gagging. I just hope my experience is the same as yours, thanks again ??

• Posted

Hi Lynn,  

There's such a variety of experience with this procedure and degree of sedation: from no sedation to general anaesthetic (rare but I guess does happen);  I had it with mild level of sedation - I was fully conscious felt everything didn't help much at all and it was very unpleasant to say the least;  some on here have no sedation and seem able to handle it; many can't and no shame in that - it is really not a procedure anyway should have to 'tough' their way through and I don't know why the docs put people through it this way; insurance purposes I guess/cost/convenience ....must be.

My sister had the procedure done (in Ireland on public health) and she doesn't remember any of it - she had colonoscopy done at the same time;  she wasn't under GA but was sedated enough to be unconscious and she said she woke up only once and fell straight back asleep and was fine after it;  I wish I could've had the same treatment when I had mine done in Czech Republic but doctors differ.  I'll be getting the next one if I have to have one (and I will again someday I expect since I've been diagnosed with GERD) in Ireland I can tell you. 

If I were you I'd ask about the levels of sedation and tell them you want to not be conscious for it as you are scared.....make sure you get the info you need as it really makes it a different experience if you get the proper level of sedation.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you smile

• Posted

Please an you tell me is this same procedure the same for looking direct into the stomach? I today have rebooked because I am scared I had one 3 years ago and it scared the life out of me I almost killed myself because I had the spray and in he annastetic but nothing worked I was so angry I went to the pub after and after a few pints with my brother it kicked in! I was a complete mess. I felt my throte hasn't been the same since... stupid stupid thing to do I know! I'm just panicking I don't want it done I've asked about Berium swallow they won't do it costs too much they say or the tablet with cam on it costs too much... I need help... right now I have a chest infection so really can't go yet. Every year is a bad one something happens before Christmas I'm scared of bad news being so close to this Christmas.... sorry but this is the way I think now very morbid every ach and pain I feel it's something bad...I am seeking help but not working this all started because the doctor thought I had pancreatic C word!!! From then I have been a mess... panic atttacks dizzy feel like I'm not here a complete mess!!!!

• Posted

Hi Sean, I have had two endoscopy's, one was easy the other more difficult for me. However you are obviously feeling really bad about this so I suggest you go back to your GP and explain exactly how you are feeling; you may be able to get counselling or medication to help with your anxiety. I know what it's like, consultants don't very often take a patients anxiety seriously so you need to find someone who you feel is on 'your side'. In some areas you can access an advocate service who may be able to help you. You could also try and contact the hospital separately who may be able to help you find another alternative. Which ever way you choose to proceed I wish you well. There is nothing worse than feeling frightened. As for Christmas, I hope you enjoy it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.