Endoscopy NO Sedation

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hello, Had my first endoscopy a few days ago (I suffer from panic disorder) and was scared stiff of having it done the night before i was due to have it done i was thinking of not going.

As was going to have it with sedation but have read alot of horror stories on the internet about people gagging, being sick, pulling the endospope out, having to be pinned down So you can see way i was scared stiff.

But i found the courage to go to the hospital to have it done the nurse asked me if i wanted sedation i said no way so she said OK the dr will have a word with you.

The dr came in and asked me again about sedation and i said no so he said ok we will do it TRANSNASAL so no need to go through the mouth no need for sedation and I have to say it was a alright procedure a slight bit of dicomfit in the nasal passage (brought a tear to my eye) but i was able to breath properly and also talk no gagging and best of all NO sedation.

It took intotal 5 mins to have the endoscope done and a further 5-10mins in recovery and then home.

If you have one coming up phone and ask about having it done TRANSNASAL as it is a pleasent way of doing it.

3 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I find XTREMX story similar with mine I've severe panic disorder and nausea so I will def take his advice as I'm getting one also ??

• Posted

Which hospital trust did this nasal endoscopy?

• Posted

.trying to find a doctor to do a nasual endoscopy done without any sedation at all. 

If so please send me the doctors information. My boss with go anywhere in the USA.

We have tried looking with no success. 

• Posted

Are you in uk, I presumed it had to be done with camera down the throat I'm due to have one and I'd quite simply rather die I'm beyond petrified as I have fear of being sick n choking

• Posted

Hi, I had mine last Thursday I was going to ask for sedation but was persuaded just to have the throat spray! I was absolutely petrified which is normal. Your throat is so numb you don’t feel a thing and the nurses are so nice it was over in 4/5 mins. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing. I was out in no time and after throat returned to normal which was not long I went to the hospital cafe for a drink. A very slight sore throat but nothing like I excepted. I took some facial wet wipes with me to wet my dry lips which helped. I hope you get on ok and let us know when it’s over. If I can help with anything else just ask.  I made myself ill worrying for nothing. 

Lynne 

• Posted

That has made me feel good hearing your experience thanks for that when do you get your results to find out whats wrong 
  • Posted

Hi, you get the results there and then, if you want to talk to me my number is ... call anytime as I know what your going through take care 😄

• Posted

Hi 

First post here, just thought I’d post my experience from earlier today.

I decided to opt for just the throat spray. Can’t say it was the best experience of my life but it wasn’t too bad. I was more concerned with what they might find than the actual procedure.

I did have quite bad gagging issues, and having read on here about concentrating on breathing must admit I felt a bit of a failure!  - I even apologised to the staff who I have to say were excellent.

I have to go for a repeat endoscopy in a few weeks time and am determined to try again without sedation as the plus side for me was not having any lingering side effects. Once the procedure (which only lasted a couple of minutes and included biopsies being taken) was over and I’d had my long awaited cuppa I was back to normal straight away. 

My advice for anyone going for the first time is try not to stress too much about it - yes it was uncomfortable but really wasn’t as bad as I imagined it would be. Also to go with the option you feel is best for you having spoken with staff. I’d made prior arrangements in case I had a last minute change of mind to go for sedation.

• Posted

Glad it went well for you and maybe after the next one you'll feel even more relaxed. Like you, I was blessed with first rate staff who were encouraging and soothing at the same time. I find most things a great deal better if I know what's happening but for those who'd really rather not know then that's for them to decide and we are lucky with this procedure that there really IS choice.

• Posted

My wife has had two Endoscopies, both without sedation, and she said that although it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, she got through both of them without any problems.

I went for one last year and opted for sedation. After the throat spray, the little clip in the nose, and the mouth gag, I felt uncomfortable before they even started. Then came the sedation. The next thing I felt was this pain in my throat. Then it was a bit of a blur. I can't remember getting off of the table etc, my next memory was being back in Reception. Someone handed me a report which said 'proceedure failed', owing to the fact that they were unable to insert a breathing tube to intubate the esophagus. This was the pain that I had felt and it made my throat sore afterwards.

So I'm awaiting to see 'what next'.

• Posted

Why not give it a try without sedation? If your wife and I ( and hundreds of others ) are ok with staying awake you've at least got a chance. 

Swallowing the tube felt like swallowing a lump of dry bread

Best of luck.

• Posted

It's the usual problem - gag reflex. I once bought one of those soft-bristle brushes that you use for a furred tongue, but I just couldn't use it. Once it touched my tongue.....!

My problem is that I had Polio in the thoat as a child (I'm 75 now),and my swallowing has got worse in recent years, so has my appetite. I had a Barium swallow last year. When I took my first swallow I could tell by the look on their faces that they were seeing something unusual on their screen.

I'm seeing the Consultant in a month's time so we'll see what he says.

• Posted

I didn’t update at the time but the second gastroscopy went much better than the first, still without sedation. Still a fair bit of gagging but taking deep breaths as advised certainly helped and to be honest the doctor carrying out the procedure seemed better than the first - it felt less rushed. 
  • Posted

For me, even having a dental impression is bad enough, let alone anything going in any further.

But the Hospital is yet to address the problem of not being able to put in this airway tube.

Years' ago I was in the Ear, Nose, and Throat Hospital in Grays Inn Rd having an ear operation.

On the day I was being discharged, a patient came in having been referred from another Hospital.

He told that, a few months earlier, he'd gone to his GP with some sort of wheeziness in his throat, which he was told was Asthma. Time passed, and he had to be admiitted into Hospital for an unrelated operation. He was knocked out, wheeled into theatre, where they inserted the customary breathing tube. Or rather, they tried to insert it, but were unable to do so. The operation had to be cancelled, and he ended up in ENT for investigation.

• Posted

I had an upper endoscopy last week (London, UK). I had been reading this forum because I was very nervous about the procedure so I wanted to share my experience.

I was concerned that I would not be able to breathe properly; that it would be painful and that I would choke.

In the end it was absolutely fine, although a little uncomfortable. I had anasthetic sprayed up my nose which i had to swallow so my nose and throat were completely numb (it feels a bit weird because you can't feel yourself swallow, but if you place your hand on the front of your neck, you can feel yourself swallow fine). I kept my hand on the front of my neck for the entire thing!

The tube was inserted into each nostril and took about 60 seconds for each nostril. I felt it go up my nose a little, but it was fine and I did not even realise he had gone down into my throat and esophagus. The tube was very small and I could breathe normally through my nose and my mouth for the whole thing. I could also speak normally! I had a very good experience and it certainly was not worth the worry. I was even considering leaving the hospital up until the moment I was called. I hope this may give some reassurance to anyone having a similar procedure. Talk to the staff and tell them your worries - they will be very good at explaining things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.