Endoscopy tomorrow morning

Posted , 6 users are following.

Omg omg I m eating my nails I m so nervous endoscopy tomorrow I m not only scared of the procedure but also scared what they might find sad hope nothing is wrong my anxiety is high I m doing breathing exercises but oh my my thoughts are out of control ?what if I have cancer?sad what if something really wrong ? Oh my I never been so nervous in my life no even when I was having my child just need some support I know I been posting about this all week sorry just nervous 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In my opinion if they offer sedation, take it. Even if you have to stay there a few hours after for it to wear off. I wish I had for mine. But one thing they kept telling me is to keep taking deep calming breaths as it helps your stomach to relax and makes things easier. Be warned the throat spray tastes like ass, and remember that even tho if feels like you aren’t swallowing, you actually are so don’t panic. 

They do this procedure all the time. By the time I got there they had two people to get it done before me, it’s a very common thing to get done. Best advice is to relax, shut your eyes, think of your happy place, and remember to breathe.

• Posted

Thanks  for  the  advice the spray will make feel like I can’t swallow that scary  how long will that feeling last or that’s the anesthesia 
    • Posted

You can have both the throat spray and the sedation or just the throat spray. I wimped our and withdrew consent but the spray was like 15 squirts which will probably make you gag a little (I almost vomited from it but my gag reflex is awful) and it lasts like..10mins if that. They tried with me for about 5 mins and it started to wear off then. They give You some water to make sure you can swallow, by the time I got out of the hospital it was completely gone. And I was in there like 15 mins from the moment they called me in. 

But I was a proper baby about it lol 

• Posted

Thanks I think I want to do it without sedation  it should be good because I was in labor pain 5 hours what more pain than that lol I don’t why I m scared of it maybe just my anxiety tricking me  I just want to wait there more hours for the anesthesia to wear off 
    • Posted

Oh they recommend someone drive you too. And be with you for 24 hours after it. 

Ah you’ll be fine if you’ve gone through labour! It’s uncomfortable more than anything the taste isn’t all that great, but if you can just breathe through it and bear it for a few mins you’ll get the answer you need hopefully.

You might feel a puff of air go into your stomach too it’ll just cause you to burp.

Let us know how it went on and remember, it’s not as bad as you think (I’m agoraphobic so I think just being away from my comfort zone was enough to send me over the edge) 

• Posted

Thanks I will post here tomorrow about my experience  can you still feel the endoscope going in after the spray in your throat I don’t want to gag
  • Posted

I can identify with your fear as I’ve been there!  As far as procedure, I was way more stressed than need be for a procedure that was over so fast! And even though biopsies were done on some nodules, all turned out normal. It’s so relieving to have it over! And I know it’s difficult not to think about worst case scenario! I do so every time! But many more times all is fine, too!

Please post after your procedure.

• Posted

I can’t wait to be in your place and have it over with lol hope it come back norma I will  post tomorrow after 10 morning how it was hopefully everything is good with me and the test go good without problems
  • Posted

Don’t be nervous. I got an endoscopy done about 3 months ago and I’m probably one of the most anxious people on the planet lol. I was too scared to take any sedation so I did it wide awake with no medication. Scary, yes, but it’s over and done with fast. And, I was talking to my gastroenterologist, he said it’s not often they find anything bad. But more out of precaution. The good thing is, you want to find out what the issue is so it can be fixed. Don’t be nervous, one little step at a time. You’re worrying about something you don’t know to be true and our fears are often liars. Good luck, relax, and don’t over think it. The test takes about 3-4 minutes and it’s all over ❤️
    • Posted

Thank you so much this make me relax smile I want to do it without sedation is no that uncomfortable right ? Without sedation  yes I want to find what wrong and no just wondering I have to do my yoga lol thinking too much  thank you so much for this post smile
    • Posted

It was uncomfortable but it didn’t hurt. It was nice to walk out of there right after while everyone else had to wait for their drugs to wear off. I recommend doing it without any sedation but it’s whatever you feel more comfortable with. You will be completely fine and like me, will wonder why you worried so much smile just relax and get it over with smile

Good luck and I hope your health improves soon, which I’m sure it will. It all just takes time. 

• Posted

Hi Ana. 

Your anxiety and thoughts remind me of myself Oct 2017.

It’s instinctively natural ,

Quick summary of my journey.  

Many years ( about 9 ) of trouble swallowing aka disphalgia,  to a point of being given an appointment for upper endoscopy.  Red flags worried and sat in the endoscopy suite. 

Very nervous , what ifs and mind games.  

Throat spray for my 1st , odd feeling for sure, not painful and rest assured our body breathes through another tube.  5 mins later having chat with the consultant.  

Reference the worry of what they find.  Stats are on our side , and probably the only diagnostic procedures that you know at the end what it might be.  

Had many over the past 9 months, 2 with throat spray and 4 with sedation. Both equal in comfort ( bit of a mind game but I assure you not painful )  

It’s a what if I didn’t go and know what’s going on, 

As many on this forum know, biopsies are often taken, and I assure you sedated or throat spray you will feel nothing.  

The spray does a really good job , numbs your throat and obviously feels a bit weird , but follow the consultants requests and it will be over in a jiffy ! 

I hope this helps ,  I would rather go to see my friends at the endoscopy suite than the dentist ! 

Best regards. Tim

• Posted

Thank you for the advice and Yes and I have ocd so my ocd get out of control when i have stress when I m sad or angry but I been doing yoga all day to stay calm for tomorrow  I don’t have trouble swallowing or anything like that my problem is chronic costispation  that’s why my doctor recommended it  my problem is I have sinus and chronic non allergic rithinitis so my nose is always stuff unless I use the Claritin or spray I haven’t been using it because I was taking medication for a yeast infection sad so i m scared I won’t be available to breathe I breathe with my mouth 99% of the time I will let them know all this I told them about the Sinus and allergies they said is fine but they don’t know my rithinitis cause me to be stuffy almost all the time sad I really appreciate it you taking your time to advice me this thanks 
    • Posted

Hi ana.  You are able to breathe normally through your mouth if your nose is blocked.   

Good luck today and soon you will be posting on how easy it was on this forum.   

Try to relax and hope to hear how you got on later. 

• Posted

Hello it went good I was talking to the doctor to see how long it was that was my fear but she said only 5 so I asked to give me spray and no anesthesia but she said they don’t do epray anymore. So she put me sedation but just a little little bit I feel relax  but when he was moving the tube in I gagged a lot I think I threw up a little sorry  but they i was 5 and put it out and now I just feel a little confused and tired thanks for all the support 
    • Posted

How long will the anesthesia last in my body ?i m having a check up in 2 week and a endoscopy 2 weeks
    • Posted

Well done ana. !  Everyone’s experience is different.  And it’s choice of spray or light sedation on the day.  Well done! 

If there is need for more , you know what to expect. 

I wish you well.  

Regards.  

Tim w

• Posted

Thanks yes I don’t remember everything just remembered at the end when he was putting the endoscope out made me gagged after that  they gave juice grape juice and a cracker I m taking fluconazole at the moment I know can’t mix that juice and fluconazole but I couldn’t say no I was under the anesthesia still sad now I m worry about it
    • Posted

Hi , no apologies needed ‘. Well done.   !!

Having had both sedation and the spray myself your reflection of wake sedation is very accurate.    

My own advice if you have another.  The lidocaine spray actually removes the gagg reflex of your probe to it.  

Take care and all the best. 

• Posted

Thanks I asked the doctor to do it without sedation they said they can’t but she said she will help out by putting a little bit only she did on my arms I laid down on my side with a towel around my mouth I was awake but I don’t remember seeing the doctor going in and putting the endoscope the only thing I remember i was awake and he was looking throw my stomach i start gagging a lot and the he putted it out and the doctor said I was done I did good I don’t remember the whole process though is that cause the anesthesia also having the colonoscopy in 2 weeks do you have any experience with that one thank in advance 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.