enlarged 1, 5

Posted , 4 users are following.

Doctor says my prostate has enlarged 1, 5. What it means. Doctor recommends operation. I do not know what to do.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Whilst I have no idea what a 50% increase in size means in terms of dangerousness (of what?), I'd want to know just what effects this has. Do you have trouble urinating? Is your PSA reading OK (tho' many think that's a poor indicator). Do you have high urine retention? 

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion.

• Posted

I have had trouble in urinating. It is over. Ultrasound said I am empty. I had cateters. Just nothing came out. i do not need them. PSA is ok. No problems with retention. I wonder why they are so eager to recommend operation. TUP? Or is it possible it grows more?
    • Posted

It can grow forever, even after TURP or Laser Surgery it will grow again They start as a walnut and can end up as a grapefruit. Size is not everything as a small prostate can press as much against the urethra or bladder as a larger one. It depends which lobe is causing more trouble.
  • Posted

As Derek says, the op wouldn't stop the prostate growing (unless they remove it altogether).

Why did you have the catheter fitted? Have you now had it removed? And is your urination now OK, with no urine retention. If that's all OK, I'd ask the doc for a reason he thinks an op is necessary, and what it is for

• Posted

Good advice from other responders.  If your bladder is emptying, your flow is ok, you are not getting up multiple times at night, you can hold your urine for a while after feeling the urge, you are not in pain, your psa is low, less than 4 or so, then why would you have surgery?

I will say this, though as I have several times in these forums, a simple turp or laser to open the flow and drain the bladder, in the long run, is preferable to taking the BPH meds  The meds are usually the Dr prescribed first step, not surgery. If you have reduced flow causing a problem the meds will reduce the prostate and relax the urethra alleviating the enlarged-prostate symptoms. The catch is that they will also inevitably cause erectile dysfunction and reduced libido. In short, in a year or two on the meds you will have no more fun, son. 

If I were a younger person with just-developing prostate problems caused by increased size I would immediately have a urolift procedure done. This is a half hour in the Dr's office procedure, no pain, no blood, get up and go home in a few hours routine. Expect it to relieve symptoms for a few years. Maybe do another urolift in a few years or whatever new miracle cure has been developed by then.

Eventually, when the prostate continues to grow, urolift may not solve the problem and turp or laser is necessary. So do it! The point being that not one single sexual-function destroying med has been taken and you are still having a good sex life.

If you care about your sex life do not take the common meds such as Flomax, Avodart, Rapaflo, Jalyn, Tamulosin, Finesteride, etc, etc.

In a sense your Dr recommending turp or laser may be doing you a great favor rather than recommending the meds.  Assuming of course that you have existing BPH symptoms.

If you have an enlarged prostate without symptoms join the club that's about normal. Prostates grow. I don't  know why you would do anything until you are having difficulty in one of the areas mentioned above. Good luck and let us know.        

• Posted

I really do not know what to do. Operation is nit very soon. I can pee well. No cateter. I do not pee in night time. I cannot get any special cure, laser or like that. It is general hospital and they have not so special methods. In university hospital perhaps have but they cannot take me in. I have no moeny to private services. Perhaps best to take that TURP. I have Tamsumin but I have not eaten it very long. I have no problems with libido.
    • Posted

I really cannot see why the Dr recommends an op. All operations carry risk, as do meds. It seems that some, such as Ron, have had problems with meds such as Tamsulosin; however I took it for 6 years on and off and didn't find it did any noticeable harm sex-wise and it did enable me to pee easily for most of that time. It was only in the last year that my urine retention increased such that my kidney was compromised and my blood pressure increased.

I had a laser TURP 6 weeks ago and all's well, so I have no hesitation in agreeing that this is a good op. And I do prefer to be off any medication.

In your situation I would press the Dr for more information about why he/she thinks you need the op. And if possible get a second opinion.

• Posted

I have the solution to your problem. Piece of cake. When they notify you to appear for surgery use that time instead to go fishing or chase girls or something more productive. It sounds to me like your Dr needs to make a boat payment and you are the solution. 
    • Posted

It is being suggested by many urologists that you continue with or start taking Avodart after surgery to avoid your prostate regrowing.

I said at my age will it have time to regrow. He smiled and said perhaps not:-)

• Posted

From Wikipedia and there is a lot more there about the negative side-effects of Avodart.

Dutasteride (Avodart), manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, is a dual 5-α reductase inhibitor that inhibits conversion of testosterone todihydrotestosterone (DHT). It is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia. It increases the risk of erectile dysfunction[1] and decreased sexual desire.[2]

If there is any way possible I am getting off all of those damn meds. Period.

• Posted

I refused it when it was suggested after my last laser surgery.
    • Posted

I don't know anything about Avodart - never having heard of it. I just took Tamsolusin.
    • Posted

Same drug, different name. Check either one on wikipedia.
  • Posted

Which country are you in?
    • Posted

They must do it differently there.

Coincidence the checkout operator at the supermarket today was from Finland. Her name was Saana.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.