Enlarged prostate.

Posted , 22 users are following.

I have just been told that my prostate is enlarged, and my GP has prescribed me Finasteride. Is there anybody on this forum taking this medicine, and if so, how are you finding it?

1 like, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are the so-called 'natural' remedies as well of course. I am told pumpkin seeds work but I have no idea as to how long that takes nor if there is any scientific basis. But they are unlikely to have adverse side effects I would have thought. Any experience from the forum?

• Posted

Curcumin ( tameric ) is also supposed to help. I was just reading an article about it saying otherwise though. I'd rather take suppliments if I can but fot the most part I think they just make a con artist somewhere very rich. YMMV

• Posted

Definitely some things help. I used to take Krill oil for achey  joints. It helped tremedously. I stopped taking it because it thins the blood and my biggest prostate problem was heavy bleeding possiby from the prostate. Of course that was only therory, I haven't been able to get a uro to scope me while I'm having blood in my urine.

• Posted

Have taken Finasteride for quite a while with no side effects. Got E/D and Incontinence from a TURP 15 months ago, and now told might have to have a further resection of Prostate as it is growing larger. When trying to self catheterise very sore passing catheter in and out and sometimes struggle to get past Prostate.
  • Posted

Hello David, Look into PAE all the meds have bad side effects. I had my Pae done February 9 and NO MORE PROBLEMS AND NO MORE MEDS

Good luck David H.

• Posted

Hi David, I am condidering either PAE or FLA in the next couple of months. Can you describe how the procedure went and how long before you could tell any differences. I have a trip to Europe planned in September and want to make sure that everything is doing okay prior to that.

Rick

• Posted

Hi David ,,   From your  recent Post  I  learnt that  You got PAE done  about  a Month ago -- and  appears  you  are satisfied .  Pls Share  Where was the PAE done //--- Location, Town  ,  &  Name of the  Doctor , because  as I understand PAE is  performed by a  Radiologist  ( and Not an Urologist)..  So  Your information would be  very helpful to several Members  on this FORUM pls .  

Best Wishes  : Jagdeesh

NB:  What is the size of the Prostrate -- Before and After the PAE -( in case you got it checked pls ) 

• Posted

Hi Jagdeesh,

I am 71 years old and had a TURP done 5 years ago. Everything has been fine, but nearly 4 months ago I started to take some vitamin supplements to promote a healthy prostate? After taking them for 6 weeks, I began passing blood, I mean, like pouring a bottle of red wine down the toilet. After 24hrs I went to my GP with a sample. He told me to get to the hospital, again with a sample and to get my blood work done. Through all this, I had no pain or any symptoms of any kind. After I got home, I decided to stop taking the vitamins, and immediately my pee was clear. Realising that I was clear, I took the vitamins again, and just as immediately I began to pass blood again. I stopped taking them for good, and I have been clear ever since.

My GP phoned me with the result of my PSA which was 15. He arranged for me to have a full bladder scan, and the camera up through into the bladder. The man told me that my prostate was enlarged again.

Last week I heard from the Queens Hospital, Burton, that everything was normal, except for the enlarged prostate to which he recommended Filasteride for. I have seen my Dr, and I started to take the Filasteride on Wednesday of last week. That is my story.

• Posted

Which vitamin supplements were you taking?

A BBC medical programme checked on vitamins and many did not contain much or any of it and others had dubious things in them.

• Posted

dear David ,,

I  am  glad to  learn that   passing the blood has stopped . However  after perusing your Post,( six days ago)--,  few Questions  are tormenting my mind :   Even after  undergoing TURP five years ago  and  generally taking  necessary precautions by  you ,  what could be the reasons for Enlargement of the Prostrate again ? Secondly  PSA test result is 15 ,, which  is bit  worrying - why  has  PSA  - increased again ?

IMPORTANT --  How long( weeks / Months) is one expected to continue  on Finasteride  before  it would  effectively reduce  the Enlargement  of the Prostrate ?   I would like  to  share  that  I  have started taking Dutasteride ( similar to  Finasteride) from  6th March 2017( about fourteen days),, -- so far there is no  improvement ,,  Besides  Dutasteride  I am taking Alfusozin ,  Urotone ( twice a day - ) ,  

I  am eager to  LEARN  from your Experience pls , Rgds - Jagdeesh 

• Posted

My pharmacist told me it would take weeks before there would be a noticable difference. I declined to take it for various reasons but my brother takes it and considers it effective.
    • Posted

Finasteride takes 4 to 6 months to work. It can take the same amount of time to leave your system after stopping it.
    • Posted

My uro told me 6 - 12 months. I;ve been on it for about 12 months. I'm pretty sure it has worked for me. I January of this year I noticed an improvement in night time peeing. Specically flow rate. Its gotten much better. I just started doing a crude flow test every so often. During the day I pee just about 20 ml / sec. Night time its about half that but that still isn't as bad as it used to be. I still want to have surgery to get off meds though.

• Posted

Stuff scares me a little. Taking so long to work and staying in your system so long.
    • Posted

Its scares me a bit also. The only side effect I've experienced is  the solar panel on the top of my head has begun growing hair again. A good side effect  cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.