Enlarged prostate.

Posted , 22 users are following.

I have just been told that my prostate is enlarged, and my GP has prescribed me Finasteride. Is there anybody on this forum taking this medicine, and if so, how are you finding it?

1 like, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just got back from Tbilisi, Georgia if anybody's interested in hearing about the treatment they do over there with phages.

• Posted

Absolutely! The more details the better, including the caliber of the doctors, etc.  What condition(s) did you go there fo and what were the results? From the little I know, phages has potential for a non-antibiotic treatment of prostatitis and uti's.

Jim

• Posted

Hi, I went there for treatment for prostatitis. At first arrival I had a prostate massage where the fluid revealed over a hundred leukocytes in the prostate fluid. After 3 weeks of treatment with phages, antibiotics and other processes the prostate fluid came back with 0 leukocytes in it. I feel some relief in the prostate. I've had issues for over 12 years so I believe it will take some time to recover fully. The doctors there were excellent. They truly care about their patients and are the most knowledgable doctors I've ever met in regards to these issues.

• Posted

So I'm curious why can't you just ejaculate in to a cup and check that instead of having prostate massage?

• Posted

You'd have to ask a doctor on that one because I have no idea. I would imagine it's a different type of fluid since they call it prostate fluid instead of semen but don't quote me on that.

• Posted

Good morning Jim  I just learn something new today.  I look up prostate milking.  Prostate fuild does not contain sperm.  Seaman is both  sperm and prostate fluid  Milking the prostate you only get prostate fluid.  That is why they can check for prostatitis Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

My understanding is that while prostate fluid does not contain sperm, when you milk the prostate you get a combination of both sperm and prostate fluid, called "seminal fluid". 

In the old days prostate massage/milking always seemed part of the exam when I came in for prostatitis like symptons. And I do remember that if fluid did come out, they would put it in a slide for examination and then culture.

For the past fifteen plus years or so, none of my urologists do this. I asked one and he said something like, "we used to do that, but found out it doesn't do any good". Not sure if he was talking about the therapeutic effect or for getting a culture.

A couple of years ago, I was symptomatic but my culture showed no bacteria. So, I asked again, if they could test my prostatic fluid. Instead, he gave me an rx for a semen culture. Basically you masturbate into a sterile container and give it to the lab for culture. Wondering now if that is as good, better, or worse than the culture they used to do by prostatic massage.

Sounds like the docs in the old days were more thorough, but these docs were old enough to be from the old days and they practice differently.

It sounds like your doc still practices prostatic massage for taking cultures? Does he also give them for therapeutic purposes? If so, maybe you can ask him why so many docs have stopped doing that. A confusing business to say the least. 

Jim

• Posted

Jim  My doctor does not do that.  I have a friend Chris that I worked with that he has had bacterial prostatitis from the age of 17.  His doctor has done it to him the last couple of times for a sample to check. I will ask him when he comes back in town.   Now I may be wrong or read it wrong but it said that prostate fluid does not contain sperm.  Semen has both fluids. And you can only get both when you masturbate. Now answer me this.  When you mike the prostate to you still have the same orgasm or is it different because it come from the ejaculatory duct and the semial vessel Or is it the same.  Going to have to read up on it.  Later buddy  Ken. PS  Not saying your wrong But the body we still have thing to know.  PS  I was at the GYM today and somehow we got on the subect of the prostate and bladder.  This guy was 50 and he did not know what the prostate was.  I can believe that.  Years ago maybe but not now.  I told him he better look it up and find out before it's to late   

• Posted

I think I read somewhere that milking an infected prostate could spread the infection thats why they don't do it anymore. Last some when I switchec uros on my first exam she did a DRE. When she touched my prostate I jumped. She asked if it hurt I said yes. I assumed at that time she would take a urine sample or something to try and do a culture but she didn't.

• Posted

hey Nick, remember me? I messaged you a few months ago to find out about the phage center that you visited in Georgia. I been really busy and did not see your reply until now. I noticed you disabled private messaging so I can't message you. Is there an email address I can reach you at? Would like to know more about the phage place.

• Posted

All, just a question about the option of having a stent inserted. Is this a viable option for a case of enlarged prostate?

Thanks

Ian

• Posted

Not really.  It may work for a while and they it starts to grow into the urethra and if they is a problem you have o have it cut out.  Ken
    • Posted

That happened to my father in law. He was about 80 and not in good health with a massive prostate. I think that lime scale forms on them.
    • Posted

Yes  My doctor told me about them.  We talk also about putting one in to keep the stricture open  I told him no.  After he told me about the problems with them    Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.