Enlarged prostate

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

I just needed some peace of mind.

Around 18 months ago I had the frequent need urinate this cleared up on its own after a few days.

In the last 6 weeks it has been happening a lot and have been to doctor and they have said I have enlarged prostate. I have been made an appointment with urologist. Doctor said psa test were fine.

Since then I have lower back ache, leg pain down thigh front and back and I think it's testicle discomfort but it's hard to pin point.

I am 39 years old but wondered if anyone has had these symptoms and what the outcome has been been

Am petrified

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. Yes, you must see a urologist. Saw Palmetto is a standard herbal for an enlarged prostate but no an infected one. After 25 years of use it failed to work for me as I ended up with an enormous prostate. Sounds like you do have prostatitis.
    • Posted

thank you. Really would like just a diagnosis and a plan! The feeling of peeing is terrible!

Friday can't come soon enough

• Posted

Hi Kris,

I am 36 now. After passing a kidney stone last year, I was misdiagnosed by two urologists who said I have prostatitis. I did not have any pain or urinary issues. just occasional throbbing near the tip of my penis and a slight whitish discharge while passing hard stool.

I had a whole bunch of tests done.

A third urologist finally told me that I have congestion from prolonged abstinence. Since then I have regularly masturbated. Feel much better now.

I would ask you to have a look at the PSA test. Most doctors I know and the research I have done have mentioned that prostatitis would lead to a PSA that is over 1 Ng/ml.

Also, just curious, how frequently did you have to visit the bathroom?

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your message

I had pSa done and the gp said was fine. Don't know the number as just didn't ask!! Stupidly. However all he said was that it enlarged he did it mention prostatitis

I feel like I have a feeling I need to pee constantly however it's not weak and no hesitancy - fees like I have emptied but then within 5 minutes sensation again!

Last night I was up 5 times from midnight till 6 not peeing everytime but just the sensation that I need to! I am pretty well hydrated though

So confusing

• Posted

No! Digital exam and blood tests.

I am seeing the urologist Friday so will see what comes up then

What would them tests show?

• Posted

For the PSA, normal is anything between 0 and 4 Ng/ml.

If more than 1, then prostatitis is suspected.

For Uroflometry, a good speed would be more than 20 ml/sec.

Also, a PVR of less than 50 ml is normal. More than 50 ml is worrisome but still considered okay. More than 100 ml signifies obstruction that can be associated with prostatitis or enlarged prostate

• Posted

He will probably ask for a urine sample. They do Everytime I go. Next, cause of your symptoms, they may do a ultrasound. Check to see how much your retaining.
    • Posted

Ok. How does everyone cope with discomfort! It's annoying!

Will he start anti biotics?

Recently had urine sample done too

• Posted

It wasn't easy. I delt with getting up every 45 minutes to a hour at night. Meds will depend on what he decides is wrong. With most of us they do a bunch of tests to determine what's causing the symptoms. I did urodynamics, cystoscopy, ultrasound of bladder, kidneys, prostate, plumbing between them. Cat scan.

• Posted

Hi, 

I started a few years ago having similar symptoms to yours.  There was a difficult to describe discomfort or ache (I wouldn't quite say pain) in the pelvic region, although my brain seemed to think it was coming from the right testicle.  However, on careful examination it was obvious it wasn't actually coming from there but from somewhere inside.  I saw a urologist and he did some tests and decided I would be ok as things were and he didn't think I was in danger of retention for the forseeable future.  The other symptoms were frequency and sometimes urgency and getting up two or sometimes 3 times per night.  Fortunately I am one of those people that can easily just go back to sleep again, so it was no big deal.  Now, two years later things are much the same and I had a scan at a different hospital and it turned out that the Prostate had not changed in size at all, judging by the previous scan which was on the computer, although it was twice the normal size.  The radiologist who did the scan said that twice the size isn't a big deal because they see people with a prostate the size of a grapefruit. I should consider that the statins I had been taking for high cholesterol can affect the nerves and muscles around the bladder and cause disturbances.  I have been off the statins for six months now and that pelvic discomfort has gone, so I am guessing she was right.  She also said that the urge to go too often can be a neurological problem and there are drugs to calm those signals down.  She also gave me some good advice, "Don't trust doctors or anyone else, look everything up and research carefully because at the end of the day only you can decide on the balance of risks and benefits"  When I reported back to my GP he tended to agree and gave me a drug to try (and it worked) but within days my blood pressure had gone dangeroulsy thorugh the roof!  But that's another story! and it's back to the drawing board!

I think where enlarged prostate is concerned mini infections come and go and sort themselves out making you bad for a week and then good for a while and then another comes along.  It's all so difficult to understand as there are multiple facets to it and pains are, as you say, hard to pinpoint, making a definite diagnosis difficult.

I will see how things go and maybe go towards a PAE at some point or maybe by then there will even be newer procedures, there seems to be no perfect answer to suit everyone so it is good that there are choices and we just have to do the work to inform ourselves as best we can.  This forum is so good because there is nothing better than other people's eperiences to learn from.

Try not to worry, you do seem too young for these problems, maybe there are other factors at work here.

All the best,

Bob.

• Posted

Thanks Robert. Appreciated and re assuring.

Suppose we are all different!

You are right about the discomfort. It's isn't pain as such and so hard to pin point. It does tend to be on the right around pelvis then into inner thigh which fees like radiating into testicle!!!

Today I don't have the discomfort but i have what feels like gentle pressure in pelvis probably around bladder with a slight inclination that I need the toilet! And I slept though the night!!

I have had 2 hernia repairs in abdomen and also open surgery for appendicitis and I have read somewhere that these can create minor infections that come and go potentially affecting the prostate - does that sound right!?

Have also been looking into link with thyroid problems as i am under active (apparently) may need a change of medecine

Have you ever heard of a link?

• Posted

Hi Kris, 

How ineresting!  I too had a hernia repair years ago and have a slightly underactive thyroid and I hadn't considered either, anthough I had the GP check carefully that there was no new hernia problem.   It just shows how difficult it is to pinpoint anything.  You also have to consider whether bowels are ok and any medications you might be taking.  Check them out and look for any side effects.  It's very awkward when symptoms are vague and non-specific but nevertheless cause us worry and inconvenience.

Good Luck!  I hope things turn out well for you.

Bob.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.