Enlarged Prostate -self catheterization

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been using catheter for 4/5 years...no problem, but I have never been offered drugs to shrink prostate or surgery......am I the only one using self catheterization ? should I be offered drugs or surgery ?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barnie..it seems u r having BPH(benign prostatic hypertrophy).whats ur age?i assume u have got all test-s done to exclude any other pathology in the prostate.i am a doc n i will never advise anyone to use a cath-eter for years when they are such safe and simplesurgeries available these days(Nd:YAG Laser technique).i think one should not suffer if one can afford to undergo a surgery.And catheters insitu for long time can put ur health at risk of infections and many more probs which can be dangerous.
    • Posted

I have been self cathing for over 20 years. When my large prostate stopped everything the hospital let my bladder almost burst.  They tried to  shrink my bladder but it failed. and have been cath ever since. I get  infections a couple tikmes a year and KEFLEX/500  will stop it in 3 days treatments. I have stage 4 prostate cancer for past 5 years but no treatments. Now getting some bone pains in lower back. I am 84 years old and will get some radition treatments for pain if gets too bad.  

My dad lived to 90 and had prostate cancer for last 10 years without any treatments,A younger brother died  at 78 yrs from prostate cancer and he had radiation treatments at age 65. He gained 40 pounds last year of life and could not stop the gain.  Another brother 10  years younger than I am has prostate cancer after the prostate was removed.and the cancer came back.   I  have not had  any treatments and cancer was found at my age 79.   almost 6 years ago.   I take Proscar for over 20 years to stop prostate growth and help keep prostate cancer away. I understand almost all men will have prostate cancer at some age?   Your comments please, thank you.  Len Granger

• Posted

Hi Len

Being new to the forum and the way its organized you may have not noticed this thread is 5 years old so its possible you wont get an answer fron the original poster.

There is a thread called self catherization started by jimjames that you might post your questions in, he has given me invaluable advice.

I've only been doing CIC since last October but after a few months of problems its working out very well. I also take Proscar, I guess that helps not real sure but it has dropped my PSA from 12 to 3 and helped me grow a heck of a beard. They suspect PCa but like you I'm not inclined to have treatment. Sounds to me you are doing pretty good and at your age I'd just have the radiation if need as you plan.

Check out the self catherization thread for more info...

• Posted

Hello, I am 66 yrs old. I have had ultrascan and CTI scan. PSA checked .. When I saw urologist about five years ago, he mentioned possible surgery, but suggested I tried self catherterization, which I did. I have never had a follow up and I am happy with the procedure, but should it just be left to that ? I have heard of Turps but I am happy with the catherization provided it does cause any long term damage. I am ultra careful re hygene and so far have not got a problem.Thankyou
  • Posted

Hello again Drmini

Just to clarify I have not got a permanent catheter.....I use intermittent disposable catheters, 5 times a day

Thankyou,, My original post did not make this clear.

• Posted

I'm 63 and was diagnosed with BPH, an enlarged prostate, several years ago. During a routine annual physical last December, the results of PSA test came back elevated; 5.6. My urologist performed a prostate biopsy and the results from pathology was positive for prostate cancer. On the Gleason score, a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the most aggressive, I'm at 9. Between my urologist, oncologist, my wife and myself, and exhaustive research, we opted for a 3-pronged approach;

1) Hormone therapy - Lupron injection every 4-months for the next 2-years to shrink the prostate, the side effects include "hot flashes", similar to a women going through menopause, they only last 2-3 minutes and I've tolerated them pretty well

2) External beam radiation therapy - 5 days a week for 5 weeks, other than occasional diarrhea, this was pretty much a walk in the park

3) Brachytherapy - 126 radioactive "seeds" were implanted in the prostate, which will be come dormant after a few months

The brachytherapy was performed about 3-weeks ago and has been the most trying procedure when compared to the other two. About 2-days after the outpatient surgery, I was having problems voiding my bladder and the urologist inserted a foley catheter which remained in place for a week. Within a few hours after it was removed, I was getting back into trouble with the inability to void. When I would attempt to urinate, it was very little and provided almost no relief. I was making trips to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes. Another trip to the urologist, another foley catheter, this time for 2-weeks. After it was removed, I knew things weren't any better, which called for yet another trip to the urologist. By this time, I'm on a first name basis with all the reception and nursing staff and might as well be on the payroll. My urologist said that he didn't want to insert another indwelling catheter because of increased risk of a urinary tract infection. He suggested that I learn to catheterize myself. My first response was less than enthusiastic, to say the least. The thought of inserting a 16" long plastic tube inside myself, was a bit unnerving. With some reluctance, I agreed with his recommendation. With proper instruction from his nurse, I've found that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I can say that it's a lot less painful that the foley catheter, and because it's only inserted long enough to empty the bladder, it's not as uncomfortable either. After about 2-days with the foley, I was chomping at the bit to have it removed. I've been catheterizing myself about 4-5 times a day, depending on the amount of fluids I've had, cut back on the caffeinated beverages and life is so much better. I don't know how long I'll have to continue with the self catheterization thing, only time will tell. But for time being, I can live with a minute or two of minor discomfort in order to maintain some semblance of normalcy.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this long-winded message. Perhaps someone else is going, or about to go, down the same path. If so, you're not alone.

Regards...

Regarding meds, which I didn't mention in that post, I've been on either Flomax or it's generic for several years. Here in the states, the generic, tamsulosin, has been on the market for about 2-years now. Since my outpatient surgery; brachytherapy, I've having problems voiding and completely emptying my bladder. Bladder spasms hit occasionally and when they do, they take no prisoners and give no quarter. For that, I'm on 118mg of Uribel, 3x a day. That hasn't completely eliminated the problem but certainly cut down on the frequency and severity. About intermittent self catheterization, ISC, I've been doing so about 4-5 times a day, and going into my 2nd week.

• Posted

Hi Bard,

I have a question for U.  I am in a permantent self-catheterising situation myseff and am wondering why U still take Tamsulosin if you need to catheterise anyway.  Could it help me also, somehow?

• Posted

Hi--My father is 87 on blood thinners from stroke 10 years ago.  His prostrate is now so large they are recommending Green Light Laser.  We are frightened about this because of the anesthesia, clotting and bleeding.  I had never heard about self-catheterization.  Is this painful?  Is it prone to having infections? I would rather he do something like this than risk his life in surgery.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Posted

How well can he pee now ? Is he taking any medications ? At his age and his problem, surgery should be the last resort. Besides self cathing, which can be difficult with a very large prostate, there is suprapubic catheter. Hank
  • Posted

Hi Bard,

I have deleted your history post from the PMR forum and incorporated it into the post above and edited it as necessary. That particular thread is for users of the PMR forum.

Regards,

Alan (aka Emis Moderator)

• Posted

For the last couple of days I've noticed a black sediment in my urine. It looks something like clumped coffee grounds. It doesn't happen every time, it's just that when I cathed earlier this afternoon I noticed an amount of the stuff that was about 3mm in size. Has anyone else encountered this?
  • Posted

Hi

I am 72 years old with an enlarged prostate and unable to pass urine normally so I am on self catheterisation for almost 4 years and I could not be happier than going through any type of operation and suffer as my cousin did, for almost a year.

Having been through many tests and having a huge catheter for 4-5 months inside me, suffering a lot of pain and urine infections, I ended up outside the operating room having a conversation with the doctor who was going to take off completely my prostate, due to its size. I was told that I will become impotent and no more sex after the operation. Asked him if they had checked my prostate for cancer to discover they had forgotten to do it so I refused the operation and went home. Then had the test for cancer and proved, as I had guessed, negative.

While visiting the hospital for more tests, met a nurse who took out the large catheter and I tried to pass urine, after drinking gallons of water with no luck. She then suggested why not try self catheterisation and show me how it’s been done. More water and couple more tries and learned how to do it safely. She also told me a trick, when I feel the catheter nearing my prostate… to cough and automatically goes inside the bladder without any pain whatsoever. Now it’s on automatic pilot, 1-2 min job whenever I feel I have to pass urine and no pain at all. Most importantly, I can still have sex, frequently, which makes myself and my younger wife very happy.

To avoid any urine infection, I take antibiotics daily, after dinner, a tablet of “Nitrofurantoin” 50mg for a month and then alternate for another month with “trimethoprim” 100mg. After taken the tablets, I eat Greek yogurt with honey for desert which helps me to avoid any constipation. If I am not careful and scratch my self and see blood coming out, I take 1 tablet of IBUFROFEN and that clears it very soon.

Over the 4 years that I am doing self catheterisation I had only 1 urine infection due to my own mistake on cleanliness and my PSI went to 22 but now it’s back to normal.

Finally I use a German catheter IQ CATH, which is an excellent design and can use it without washing my hands, when I am out of the house and for all that I am grateful to that lovely nurse who suggested and showed me how to have self catheterisation!

• Posted

Hi Hank,  I am 84 years old and self cath for over 20 years, It has its advantage as go whenever I want and sleep all night. Get an infection a couple times a years and use KEFLEX/500 and in 3 days it clears everything  backto normal.  Doc gave me  100 pills so I  do self treatments instead of going to hospital..    I drink 8 glasses ofwater a day and 3 of cranberry juice. Then take Maxide as have  a direritic to clear the fluid from my system.  Also take PROSCAR to keep prostate from growing and cancer under control. as have stage 4 prostate cancer.  Never treated it after almost 6 years and now am feeling a few bone pains.  My father had prostate cancer 10 years without treatments and he lived to age 90..
    • Posted

Hi leonard,

Thanks for sharing. 20 years of self cath must be a record. The reason that you are not seeking treatment for your PC, is it because you believe that you will live longer and with better quality of life without treatment ? Also, how do bone pains feel like ? What part of your body do you feel bone pains.

Hank

• Posted

So far have not had any bone pains as cancer has not moved to bones, When it does ?    The doctors will give me pain killers..  I will sonn be 85 years young. A younger brother had radiation and hormone treatments and he died from gaining 40 lbs in a year. A brother 10 years younger had prostate removed but now has cancer back again.  I have talked with men at AF Base Hospital that had treatments and now wear diapers so feel great using cathers. Get 180 each month in the mail no charge,
    • Posted

Hi,

Wondering why you have to take an antibotic daily?  I take only when I have an infecton  I use Cephalexin Caps 500 My   (Take i cap every 6 hours for 5 days if   have infection,) Clears in 24 hours most times.   I take precauctions if see the urine has become cloudy as wait too long it will become bloody.   Have infections very few times over a year, Have tried other meds but this is the best for me.and get it free from the Air Force by mail.

• Posted

Hi

When I had my first infection, my GP gave me Antibiotics of 500 mg (sorry I forgot the name) for 5 days and it cleared in 24 hours too.

To avoid another infection, he suggested the daily tablet of antibiotics, I mentioned:

“To avoid any urine infection, I take antibiotics daily, after dinner, a tablet of“Nitrofurantoin” 50mg for a month and then alternate for another month with“trimethoprim” 100mg. After taken the tablets, I eat Greek yogurt with honey for desert which helps me to avoid any constipation. If I am not careful and scratch my self and see blood coming out, I take 1 tablet of IBUFROFEN and that clears it very soon.”

Well after the previous post, I had another infection, silly me, and given the same 5 day course of Antibiotics of 500 mg, that cleared it again in 24 hours and then back to the routine of 1 tablet at night. Hopefully I will not get another infection, soon. This treatment is on repeat prescription and I order it on line and it’s FREE and collect it from the local pharmacy.

I understand that Antibiotics kill good bacteria in my stomach but eating plain Greek Yogurt, every night with honey it replace them and my GP agrees with it!

Then I am not a doctor and he must know better! biggrin

• Posted

I am surprised your doctor keeps you on antibotics on a daily basis?  I have always been told by the doctors in Air Force and others to take as little antibotics as possible   When  I do need antibotics they want my body free from them so I get the best effect.    I use a Foley Catheter and have 180 to 200 shipped to me each month at no cost.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.