Enlarged Prostate -self catheterization

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been using catheter for 4/5 years...no problem, but I have never been offered drugs to shrink prostate or surgery......am I the only one using self catheterization ? should I be offered drugs or surgery ?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am having a problem with self-catheterization, with difficulty passing through the prostate. That hasn't been a problem before, as I have done it previously. Now, though, it takes 10-30 minutues to get through the prostate. I'm mystified.

• Posted

How long have you used a catheter?  At first they would give me some pain but after using them all these years, theyare easy to insert.  I also  take Proscar to keep prostate from growing for several years.   I drink 8 glasses of water a day and 3 of  crandburry juice to keep any infections away.  Then take a diretic pill to eliminate the fuilds in my body.  Have Keflex antibotics on hand  at all times to kill any infections.They are supplied to me by mail and request more as needed.
    • Posted

hi leonard, does not drinking do much liquid cause night time urination for you ? Also, why did you stop taking Proscar ? Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank,

I still take a proscar pill a day as have for many years.  I go to bed at 10:30 PM and about 3 to 4 Am usually urinate but many times not till around 7 AM.    

Earlier I mention bone pain,  It was caused by a bladder infection that I killed with Keflex 500  in two days. Powerful meds but do the trick fast.   I used to go to the hospital at Travis AFB and told the  docs if you give me meds Keflex I will not bother you So they keep me supplied by mail.  We have to know our bodyand how it reacts to meds.   I have met many very unhappy guys at the base over the years that let the Docs scare them into all kinds of treatments  I had Kiaser Hospital and the AF Doctors for awhile and was told not to have my prostate removed by Kiaser as my bladder was stretched and even if had prostate out would still have to cath the rest of my life.  20 years on Cath is not unusual the Cath people tell me that supply the cath at no cost.    

• Posted

Hi Roland

I use a German catheter IQ CATH, which is an excellent design and can use it without washing my hands, when I am out of the house. It has its own lubricating bag supply, which you must insert at the empty top by cuting the end and then brake it by pressure to lubricate the whole catheter.

it takes me 1-2 minutes to prepare the cath and then empty .... TRICK. when inserting the cath as soon as you feel any resistance.... "just cought"   and it should go in automatic. Are you by xhance constepated or there is another reason? Your GP should find out.... Good luck.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks leonard,

Do you cath at 10:30PM before bed and at 3-4AM usually ? I do the same. If I don't cath I probably will have to get up more often, perhaps every 2-3 hours. Hank

• Posted

Several years ago I had the doctors at Travis AFB  enlarge the area through my prostate so I could use the cath more easy.   I think I called it  Roto Rooter???     Then take Proscar so Prostate does not grow.  It has a benefit also, your hair grows and not bald like others in my family. Even the doctor takes it for his hair.  Len
    • Posted

Hank,   

Last night cath at 10:30 PM and then again at  4AM.  Just came off an infection I caught the first day as urine was cloudy.   Killed it in 24 hours but take pills Keflex 500 for 3 days every 6 hours.    Urinate more often during day to keep everything moving as drink 8 glasses water and 3 canberry daily.   Also take Maxide 25 as a diaretic to clear water out of my body.   Same method now for years.  Len

• Posted

Hey Ronald. I'm new here, and about to have a Supra Pubic cath put in tomorrow for the same reason, that I cannot self Cath. IT is excruciatingly painful for me. I am told that it is due to the enlarged prostate, and for some it is just more of a problem than others. But frankly, the serious pain starts 2 inches in.  But it is definitely the most unbearable when I get to the prostate. Maybe it is due to the median lobe involvement in my case. I have the same problem with any kind of cysto procedure, and whenever they put in an indwelling cath.  I was very sexually active, but I've had a Foley for a month now, which obviously puts an end to that. It is also more prone to UTIs , which I've had since putting it in (really started immediately before I started with the Foley, die to attempts to self cath.   So the Supra seems to be my only answer until I have surgery to address the problem, but I am freaking out about having it done tomorrow.   Curious how you ended up dealing with your difficulty with CIC ???

• Posted

Hi Scott, Supra is the way to go, if you have difficulty doing self cath. Many people on this forum have Supra and are quite content with it. Hank
    • Posted

Thx Hank!   That's encouraging. I just had it done yesterday. Will see .  A little more annoying for the first couple weeks. Aside from hurting a bit and oozing the first few days or so (I assume), he's making me stay with a bag the first 2 weeks (after telling me before I did it that it would be a few days!!).   He wants the puncture to set before filling up the bladder again. Kind of a pain since I hadn't gotten used to a valve or plug with the Foley, but all in all looking forward to  being less imprisoned!!  THX!!

• Posted

I am glad for you, Scott. You did the right thing. You'll be a lot better in few weeks, I was told. If I can't urinate completely, in stead of self cathing, I would consider supra. Keep us updated. Hank

• Posted

Depending on your age its up to you.  For me I have cath for over 20 years and have prostate cancer stage 4 for 6 years. Have taken Proscar for the cancer for many years and it has not moved from prostate to bones.    Cath has its advantages  
  • Posted

The doctors told me not to have any more PSA checks as they are not reliable.  One time I have 65 another time around 11 readings.  For my age (84) and large prostate they say a reading of 11 is great.  It goes up to 65 area when I have an infection, So I was told to stop PSA checks.  len
  • Posted

Barnie, I would say it depends on your diagnosis. If an enlarged prostrate is blocking the urethra ,shrinking the prostrate may help providing you could urinate on your own before. I have a neurogenic bladder and an enlarged prostrate, tried meds, side effects brutal for me, I'm a type two diabetic. I wouldn't rush into surgery or any other extreme unless your urologist can justify beyond a shadow of a doubt it's benefit for your health. Good luck, wishing u all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.