Enterocele and rectocele repair

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

Well it looks like my op is next Fri 18th Nov. Its something I have been putting off as I had a cystocele repair and hysterectomy so i kind of know what recovery will be like etc.

A few questions which i would like some advice on please.

Will I be having any sort of enenma? I do not take well to morphine or tramadol . So will ibruprofen and paracetamol be enough for the pain.?

Will I have to have a catheter and all that horrible packing?

I have also been told that it can change the shape of your vagina making intercourse painful!! Well its practically non existent now , will this improve over time.? I remember after my cystocele repair it was at least 6 months before it was comfortable. I am having visions that at 49 I will never be able to have intercourse again sad

Many thanks to any advice.

kar xx

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

You won't need an enema, at least not for the rectocele. You will have a catheter in for the first night also packing in for the first day.

Morphine or tramadol would be the worst things to take, re constipation. Avoid at all costs!

It might be an idea to start taking lactulose a few days before your op to keep your bm's soft, and also for quite a while afterwards.

A rectocele repair done vaginally does make your vagina narrower, especially at first because the swelling lasts for quite a few weeks. It can also tighten you up permanently, so sex might be better, but not for at least six weeks.

One thing I wish I'd known about was that you are stitched down the back wall into your perineum, so sitting is a bit uncomfortable for a while.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

You'll need lots of rest, so stock up on tv programmes, and / or books' and let someone else do the work for a while.

First two weeks, nothing but rest.

• Posted

Kar I'm pleased you've made the decision to have surgery and as long as you do as you're advised I'm sure it will be successful. 

You may have an enema but it is unusual these days however if you can take something like Movicol or a similar stool softener prior and after the operation that will help. 

You will have a urethral catheter overnight and vaginal packing but don't let that alarm you. I always insist patients have pain relief before they are removed and once they are you'll feel more comfortable.

Intercourse shouldn't be more painful after this operation.....it should be better and more comfortable. 

Regarding pain relief, one thing I always say is pain hinders recovery so don't refuse any pain relief such as Codeine, Morphine or Tramadol because you can take medication to counteract any constipation such as stool softeners. I have found Paracetamol won't help your pain in the early days. If you are in pain you must take pain relief and any good nurse or doctor will emphasise that after all it's our job! Take it regularly as prescribed before the pain reaches a peak. Rest is extremely important so for the first 2 weeks don't do anything and definitely no lifting apart from a kettle with enough water to make a cuppa. The information on the Genitourinary home page under Useful Resources is worth reading particularly the South Tees information that I had input into. Alan the Emis Moderator and I have also put together some excellent advice and I'm in the process of sending some more information to him. 

• Posted

I was aware of some of the responses and I was just a little bit worried so I've decided just to "test the water" so to speak xx

• Posted

Only briefly karen. I've been working with my local Health Trust on some advice following prolapse surgery and I have to admit it has taken over my life but I have been checking in now and again and wasn't sure what to do but the nurse in me wanted to help so I thought I'd just see how things went x

• Posted

Question then. 2 weeks post. I spot every time with bowel mvmt from vagina. Is this normal?
    • Posted

It is steph. I presume you've had a rectocele repair? I apologise I need to catch up but if that's the case it's perfectly ok because every time you pass a stool it catches the sutures but don't be alarmed because they are tough and able to cope with the stool passing and will still heal.

• Posted

Hi Matron, Don't go again! There will always be challenging people who argue wth everyone, ignore them.

You are needed on this forum, both for your knowledge and as a woman who has herself experienced this surgery.

Phyl and a few of the others, including myself have been trying to help answer questions, but you can't beat a pro! ( by the way, in the op's post I meant avoid constipation at any cost, not painkillers) Morphine after my TKR made my prolapse worse, even with lactulose.

I hope you stay around, and jump in and help when you are needed smile

• Posted

Hello Laura. Thank you for your kindnesses. I know what you meant about the painkillers, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Some people and I include myself cope well with opiates and don't get constipated but I agree with you about Lactulose I don't rate it to be honest. I'm sure you and Phyl have been wonderful and I don't intend to be so involved because I know a lot of ladies don't like a professional responding to posts.

• Posted

We have just been trying, but don't have the knowledge you have, and sorry to disagree, but I think it's the minority of ladies who wouldn't want proffesional help and to be honest, who gves a stuff about a few awkward ones, when you can reassure so many others.

You gave me some good advice, I didn't know who else to ask, so came on here, and you were always about, ready to help.

A bit stern at times, but trying to help ladies who were worried sick, isn't that enough reason not to let judgemental,people chase you away.

This isn't a Matron fan club btw. Lol!

• Posted

Sorry I sounded stern. It's just my way....been in nursing too long. I take on board your comment and I'll try and come across a bit softer if that's the right word x

• Posted

Stern in a good way, telling ladies they MUST rest and put their feet up, all for the greater good, don't go all soft, no one would do as they're told 😉

• Posted

Welcome back Matron,

Good to see your back!

Phyl 💖

• Posted

Is Movicol suitable to take for long periods? I still need something, seven months on, I'm taking Gabapentin and it slows everything down, even though I eat a lot of fibre and drink lots.

I've been taking lactulose all the time, and it's not helping enough.

Sorry Kar for hijacking your thread!

• Posted

Movicol is perfectly safe Laura as long as it's taken for a medical reason which in your case it is. I personally don't find Lactulose very effective and I've found a lot of patients agree.

• Posted

Once a nurse always a nurse; nursing is not just a career it's a vocation for life!

?

• Posted

Thank you matron missed you too, I'm sure we all did. X💖

• Posted

Thank you phyl. I think I've mentioned this before but I retired (early) 5 years ago but I keep being pulled back into and I don't resist. xx

• Posted

Being part of the research team will keep your mind active.

My Grandmother lived to 107 years old and everyone said it was because she kept her brain active; she kept up with all current affairs and could tell you what was going on in any part of the world, and she loved a good political argument.

So as long as your not stressing yourself you should stay involved as long as you can, and pass on all your experience to the younger generation.

Phyl x☺

• Posted

Good heavens phyl you must have some good genes in your family. I do like to keep active mentally and wish I could do more physically but my osteoarthritis is a problem. I put that down to nursing on the wards and the long hours we had to work particularly in the 1970's. There is a shortage of experienced nurses particularly in research unfortunately so I will continue for as long as possible xx

• Posted

Thank you for for lovely words of advice. It has helped me be a bit more positive. Regarding pain relief though I really can't tolerate the strong stuff. It makes me hallucinate, gives bad anxiety and very sick. I will however keep an open mind about codeine and just make sure I have plenty of movical x

• Posted

Some pain killers don't suit patients and it's very much trial and error but I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you and make you more comfortable. The important thing though is to rest, that will help with your pain even if it means staying in bed with little walks every hour. Remember this is major surgery and don't let anyone tell you otherwise x

• Posted

no worries love. I have used movical for quite some weeks after my previous surgeries. Much prefer it to lactulose biggrin

• Posted

Movicol is different to Lactulose in that Lactulose is used for constipation where as Movicol is a stool softener.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.