Episode after work out

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I hope you are all doing at least a little better each day.

I've been doing rather well lately, besides a few minor set backs like a head cold. I havent had a fever in quite some time, my energy level has been much better and in general, I'm doing much better.

But...yesterday I decided it was time to ease back in to my work out routine. I went very light, since I havent worked out in 6 months, and did some very light cardio. It was a light work out compared to my normal. I felt fine during the work out, but about an hour later, I felt completely exhausted. I took my temp because I felt hot, and sure enough I had a low grade fever. It was so bad that I spent the rest of the day on the couch. The work out was pretty much the only thing I had done all day, and it put me down for the rest of the day. My temp, however, was back to normal in a couple of hours.

Last night felt like a mono insomnia night all over again, and I havent dealt with that in months. I was burning up all night and had some night sweats.

This morning I am achy, but that's probably due to the work out. Besides that, I feel fine.

Has anyone had this type of experience during your recovery? I cant decide if this is something I should push through, or back off and give myself more recovery time.

Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

maybe you need to go slower...i just started again too but very very simple short bursts of workout .i do a walk everynight and each night now try to do some floor exercises and weights . last night i tried a few minutes of running on the sand .

the key is to start off slowly and not go and do a full workout . this would be the rule for doing any workout after a long time of absence .

• Posted

Thanks Lori. I actually thought I had taken it very easy for my first go at it, but you are probably right, I need to take it slower. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I can definitely relate to this experience in my recovery too! It was good to read that you had been feeling a bit more settled lately and feeling like trying some exercise, it's so hard to know when the right time to do this is and to find the right balance between activity and rest during recovery, it really is trial and error and just listening to your body and learning as you go really.

I'm no expert or anything but certainly I would listen to your body and not try to push through, frustrating I know when you are keen to get back to exercise, it might be that although you feeling not too bad when just doing normal day to day things that it just needs a little more time before it can be pushed for exercise. And remember this won't set you back long term, these kind of episodes and minor lapses can be very normal during recovery, and they do get less and less as time goes on and as your body gets stronger was definitely my experience. Frustrating I know though know!

Hoping you are feeling more settled again after resting up and still believing that 2019 is going to be a year of recovery for you - hang in there Jen.

Craig

• Posted

Craig,

You are right, listen to the body. I'll give it some more time. The last thing I need is a set back.

How are you feeling these days?

• Posted

Thanks for asking Jen, yes I have been okay a bit more settled this past few weeks but still a long way to go and feeling quite flat today. I guess it's just ups and downs with things and overcoming things, as you know all too well as well I know.

Let's hang in there and remember 2019 is going to be much better for us all!

Craig

• Posted

Jen,

The same thing happened to me a few days ago too, but the symptoms came on about a day and a half later. I did some light cardio and weights and felt fine afterwards. The next day, I went to the doctor to make sure everything is okay, which it is, thank God. But the day after that I felt like I was having a symptom flare up. 5 days later and I am still feeling pretty bad. This all stinks because I was feeling almost completely better before my workout!

• Posted

Hi Madison,

It's so frustrating when you just want to get on with things and do healthy and positive things like exercising but your body feels rough for doing it afterwards. It won't always be that way and your body will get stronger and be able to cope with doing physical and stressful activity again, even if it's hard to see it right now which I know it can be I remember how I felt too when struggling with this it was so hard.

Keep listening to your body Madison and if you need to rest a bit extra right now and not push things so hard then remember that's okay, and that it's only temporary - still continue to do things if you can it's just about managing your activity as well, even if it's just a short walk each day or whatever rather than a heavy workout for now.

Wishing you a Happy New Year when it comes and absolutely hoping, praying and believing that 2019 is going to be a year of recovery and restored good health for you - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Its just so disheartening because I thought I was getting better. Sigh.

• Posted

It's understandable to be feeling that way Jen, goodness knows I remember going through all the stages when dealing with this virus, fear, distress, worry, anxiety, anger, discouragement - it was just an awful time Jen and I really do want you to know that things will get better.

One thing I picked up on was in your other message the phrase 'our new normal'. That resonated with me because I remember so much maybe at a similar stage of the virus to you are at now, when things had gone on for a number of months and was so drained and weary but only seeing some improvements, but nowhere near where I felt I could cope with normal life again, thinking that this is the new normal I have to cope with - thinking that this was as good as it got now and I would need to find a way to manage feeling like I did.

But Jen my experience as time went on was that that was not at all the case, at that stage I now know I was still recovery and still had a further part of the recovery journey to go and things did improve and get back to more or less like my old self again with some time - thanks to God only - where body resilience and ability to cope with normal life became much much easier.

So Jen I really just want to encourage you that although for now things might still be in an up and down and fragile place - they won't always be this way, your body will continue to recover until you get back to FULL health again - this thing might be biting right now but doesn't have the sting or stamina to hold you back long term and absolutely I truly believe this is going to be a year where you make real progress towards recovery - hang in there Jen and thinking about you still!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig. The last few days have been good for me so I'm trying to enjoy them before my next crash. lol.

• Posted

Glad to hear you have had a better few days Jen, it's just ups and downs sometimes with recovery of this - but it won't always be that way things will settle down and be more stable and you will feel more resilient and strong again. Hang in there and hoping for a good weekend for you too - and remember any setbacks / crashes are temporary and they are going to stop happening, I believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Jen,

What you experienced after your workout seems pretty typical. I think the body is just so shocked since you haven't done so much exercise, even if it is light, for a long time. Just a couple weeks ago in December I did one day of skiing and took a snowboard lesson and I felt just fine during the activities but felt kind of cruddy and sore and mood was down for a couple days afterwards.

I think doing some light exercise once in a while won't harm you and at some point the body has to get used to some more activity. Just don't over do it and I think you will know at which point when you need to slow down and rest.

• Posted

im starting too to do a 'little' bit of exercise nothing major just a walk and some medicine ball exercises. the key is to start off very slowly and gradually build up . dont rush it take your time and if it tires you out skip a day . i too used to work out really hard and think thats what a activated my ebv lesson learned!

• Posted

Lori,

I did a very easy 20 min bike ride today. so far I feel ok. Fingers crossed.

same here with working out hard. I'm so ready to get back to it.

• Posted

yes i did a mini workout last night the went out for an hour. im so groggy today ...did too much !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.