Episode after work out

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I hope you are all doing at least a little better each day.

I've been doing rather well lately, besides a few minor set backs like a head cold. I havent had a fever in quite some time, my energy level has been much better and in general, I'm doing much better.

But...yesterday I decided it was time to ease back in to my work out routine. I went very light, since I havent worked out in 6 months, and did some very light cardio. It was a light work out compared to my normal. I felt fine during the work out, but about an hour later, I felt completely exhausted. I took my temp because I felt hot, and sure enough I had a low grade fever. It was so bad that I spent the rest of the day on the couch. The work out was pretty much the only thing I had done all day, and it put me down for the rest of the day. My temp, however, was back to normal in a couple of hours.

Last night felt like a mono insomnia night all over again, and I havent dealt with that in months. I was burning up all night and had some night sweats.

This morning I am achy, but that's probably due to the work out. Besides that, I feel fine.

Has anyone had this type of experience during your recovery? I cant decide if this is something I should push through, or back off and give myself more recovery time.

Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow this really hit me. I just found out last week I have mono. I had hand foot mouth disease in October and I am suspicious that has something to do with this. I started feeling sick around dec 1st. I had 2 days of fevers, aches, chills and it left me with an awful sore throat. A week later my eyelids swelled up so bad and then the week after that I ended up with the flu which my whole family had too. Through all this I was just so tired and we moved to a new house. Plus I have one year old twins. Twice in early dec I went to urgent care about my throat, negative strep test and told I have a virus. Right before chrostmas it feels like I'm swallowing knives. I go to the ER. Positive strep test now. Antibiotics helped a lot but it still was on and off hurting. I go bask to ER the Friday after Christmas and they say ok more antibiotics you must still have strep. I feel this isnt right and Monday I go to a new urgent care. Explain this whole saga to a PA. He says "I think you have mono", takes a prick of blood and comes back in less than a minute later to tell me monospot test is positive. Wow. I had so much anxiety not knowing what was wrong. I thought I had throat cancer. I was so happy to have a diagnosis that matched my symptoms. By now I'm in week 5 and most things feel better but I still get random low grade fever especially if I do too much. I became preoccupied with the thermometer and my husband has hid it from me. I got super paranoid that I have lymphoma bc the symptoms match mono! Towards week 5/6 now of the mono I have been having bad night sweats and awful insomnia, I am up more of the night than I'm asleep. I started having so much anxiety about the night sweats I became obsessed with thinking I have a worse illness and I have now booked an appt to start therapy because of the anxiety this illness has caused. the weigh loss hasnt helped either between the mono and the anxiety I have such low appetite but I am hungry, my stomach growls and I feel too anxious to eat. I am so glad I found this and see that Google is a liar, and what the real course of having mono feels like for adults.

• Posted

Hi Jenna,

Oh goodness it sounds like it has been a terrible couple of months for you, so sorry to hear you've been going through this and I do empathise having went through a tough time with mono a number of years ago. It was about a month or so after feeling unwell that I was able to get a diagnosis too, and it was a relief as you say because your mind runs away with itself and it's so draining when you are feeling unwell and don't have an explanation for it - I'm hoping it can offer some reassurance even though I know you have still been feeling unwell with it (with is very normal at this stage please be reassured).

I went through so much of the same Jenna, the googling and worries about it being something more serious and that kind of worry and the anxiety it causes is just the worst thing in the world. It is a really good forum here Jenna, it can be really helpful to read the recovery stories of other people and to know that this thing DOES get better, and even if it takes a little time not to panic because this can be normal and your body needs time and space to get over this nasty nasty virus. It's not like a normal flu / virus or whatever where you can just push through it, that can prolong things rather than helping, so it's important to be kind to yourself and give yourself and your body as much rest as possible and remove stress as much as possible too. I know that can't be easy especially when you have young children too, hoping so much that you have other supportive family / friends around that can help at this time Jenna - thinking about you for sure.

This stage you are at Jenna was the worst part of the virus for sure, the intensity after 5-6 weeks is so strong still and just getting through each day when feeling so drained is an achievement, believe me. I had all sorts of symptoms too, the worst I think were the constant low grade fever, the exhaustion, aches and pains in different areas at different times and just that general feeling 'stunted' and not at all well or yourself.

But it DOES get better Jenna - really it does. The symptoms and intensity of this virus are so intense that it can try to trick you into thinking 'surely this ALL can't just be from mono?'. And your mind can wander into awful places I know. But please Jenna be assured in the vast vast majority of cases it is just mono, this virus IS an awful one and the symptoms are often so intense and draining to cope with in the acute phase. And a good one I always try to remember when you start to worry about it being something more serious, is to remember that 90%+ of the western world population get infected with the EBV virus (which causes mono) at some stage of their lives, most as a child when they don't feel the full effects as you do as an adult, but that the vast vast majority of people recovery fully and don't go on to have any other issues. It just takes time with this thing Jenna, so hard to be patient and remember your body needs a bit of time to get over this but you WILL get there. I know it was only down to God that I was able to get through an awful time with it, and you will get there too with God's help I truly believe that.

Things that helped me during recovery were taking vitamins / herbs, including a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immuance Extra here in the UK), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), a B100 Complex vitamin and/or Co-enzyme Q10 (really good for energy levels and nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinacea. These can help your immune system cope better whilst recovery, but of course remember I'm no expert in these things, this is just my own experience and it's always wise to check before taking vitamins / herbs regarding any possible interactions with other medication / conditions.

Hang in there Jenna - it's only understandable for you to be going through anxiety and worry at this tough time - it's so hard to deal with this thing and it got me so down too and I found it really hard, was very lucky to have amazing family / friends around me who helped a lot and stood by me and were understanding and supportive. Hoping so much that is the case for you too and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And remember you WILL get through this and this thing DOES get better, so just take each day as it comes right now don't look too far ahead or put too much pressure on yourself / expect too much of yourself - your body really needs time and space to recovery but absolutely it will recover with time so hang in there and thinking about you! Message any time not feeling great or whatever Jenna, the forum has some really good people on it who are supportive and knowledgeable.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.