Epstein Barr Virus? Neuro Manifestations?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey Everyone! 

Over the last couple of months, I have been having a multitude of strange symptoms. I have gone through an immense amount of testing with very little answers. I've also done multiple and thorough neuro exams and have no weakness or atrophy. I do not have lyme disease and have tested extensively for it. I also do not have a vitamin deficiency. I have had a brain and full spine scan which were both negative. I have done vast other testing and have been cleared by infectious diseases, cardiology, endocrinology, auto-immune (numerous exams), gastro (endoscopy to check for celiac), etc... The only blood work that came back really abnormal is my EBV. Here are the values of the test: 

EBV VIRAL CAPSID AG (VCA) AB (IGM) 81.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV VIRAL CAPSID AG (VCA) AB (IGG) 316.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV NUCLEAR AG (EBNA) AB (IGG) 322.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV EARLY ANTIGEN D AB (IGG) <9.00 N U/mL NL2

Quickly going over it, my symptoms are as follows: unprovoked muscle soreness, muscle twitching, feelings of off-balance/coordination (hands and legs), random sores in my mouth, heavy anxiety, joint/body stiffness, brain fog, vision floaters, occasional pins/needles, and heartburn. This all seemed to start one day with a one-off instance of blurry eyesight that cleared up quickly. I was sick with a mild cold at the time then the rest of the above symptoms started to appear and have been going on for 8 months. 

I'm just so curious as to whether or not this could be the cause and if so, does anyone know of an effective treatment? 

Any insight on this would be really helpful. 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you at ANY time been treated with Cipro or Fluoroquinolone antibiotics

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

• Posted

Hey Derek, 

If I had taken them, it would have been like 7 years ago when I was getting upper respiratory infections. Could it really be linked to something that far back? I could investigate further to see if I was taking one of them, but I could have been. 

Please let me know what you think. 

Thanks for the help! 

• Posted

Yes it actually can be triggered by later medications including steroids or other antibiotics

I was prescribed them three times and each time stopped after a few days due to tendon pain. It was three years later that my present problems suddenly started. Read some of the links for others with problems. Evidently if one is affected it is to an extent dependent on our DNA make up.

There is a long (4 1/2 hour) Youtube video of the conference held in London in June by the EMA (European Medicines Agency) where patients ... sorry victims and doctors relate their experiences. Links to it are also on the Floxiehope site. When doctors can't diagnose us Fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome is often the answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.