ESA Change?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ,

As some of you know my mom is on ESA in the Support group and my sister who lives with us was at UNI but has just found out she's failed her exam's so is being withdrawn from her course, i wanted to ask if my mom's ESA will be affected with with my sister leaving UNI?

I know that it will affect housing benefit and council tax support, my sister might be starting an apprenticeship in September so fingers crossed.

I just wanted to ask if my mom's ESA would be affected with my sister leaving UNI?

My mom's apical worker said it should not affect at all and that there's no need to phone them either as ESA is for my mom not for my sister. My sister is 21yrs old

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

By UNI i mean , university.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, ESA is definitely not one of my strong points so I suggest you ring the job centre Monday and get it straight from the horse's mouth, I don't think it will effect your Mums benefit as far as I can remember but I would hate to give you duff information

• Posted

The only reason I'm sorry is that they say tell them of any change in circumstances, but when my mom told them about my income support they were not interested , so she's never told them that I'm not on income support anymore. And her social worker said there's no need to worry as there only interested in change of circumstances that relate to your mom or affect your mom like a child or a partner, she said your daughter leaving university is not classed as a change of circumstances neither is you other daughter (me) leaving income support as there adults but not a partner so ESA won't be interested in what they do or earn, she said unless one of them moved out.

• Posted

That just have read the only reason I'm so worried , not sorry.

• Posted

Hi

Does your mum receive the enhanced disability premium on top of her ESA ?

If she does and is not living alone then she would have this removed as it is only given if she is single and the only person living at her house. My son moved back home with me and the following week it had been removed, I did not realise it was for persons living alone only. If your mum receives ESA support group flat rate then there is nothing to worry about.

• Posted

She only receives ESA support group , no premiums, so since she only gets ESA she does not have to tell them just like her apical worker said nothing to worry about as her soical worker said ESA won't be interested?

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

If ESA is being paid to your mum, it should not make any difference because she is claiming in her own right for ESA Benefit.

It would not affect Housing and Council Benefits if your mother is paid either the High Rate Care Component of DLA or the Enhanced Care of PIP. Both of these allowances always will make you exempt from paying rent or council tax, regardless of any income to the property from other sources.

Regards,

SteV3

• Posted

Hi Stevi don't know who told you that claiming high rate DLA or PIP exempts you from paying rent or council tax, you are definitely wrong.

Its not a means tested benefit and cannot be taken into account when claiming HB or CT but if you have other incomes and it takes you above the threshold then you can lose it. It's not anyone's right to receive it because of DLA or PIP

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

It was my local council that stated it and sent me the paperwork to confirm it in writing.

My current Contribution-based ESA in the Support Group at the moment is under review, due to an administration error from the 23rd December 2013. They contacted me via letter this Monday, stating they would be calling me on Tuesday between 9 am and 5 pm regarding an underpayment.

I have no idea what that is about apart from, I was supposed to be transferred from Incapacity Benefit to Income-Related ESA in the Support Group, and not Contribution-Based.

Regards,

SteV3

• Posted

Come to think about it. The DWP also asked if I was receiving Housing Benefit and Council Tax paid in full, I said yes. They did not question it apart from being in receipt of the high Care rate in DLA or Enhanced Care if I was on PIP.

So, I do not have a clue.

• Posted

I’m sorry but that’s not true. If a person claims a means tested benefit and either DLA/PIP they will be exempt from any non dependent deductions in their housing benefit. They MAY also receive an increase in their housing benefit, depending on age etc. It most certainly doesn’t mean they will be exempt from paying any rent at all. Council tax reduction is completely different and all councils have their own rules.
    • Posted

Hi Denise,

I'm confused now...

We used to pay some rent and council tax. But when my wife applied for an increase to my DLA Care component, it was granted straight away without any "f2f" assessment - then again all my records are very extensive and I'm in and out of hospitals all the time.

My Care Component was increased to High Rate on DLA. I took all the paperwork that the council asked me for, and they changed it to exempt on the grounds of the Care Component being on the High Rate from Middle Rate. Mobility Rate has always been on High, but that I was told makes no difference to HB or CT. 

The only one that mattered was the High Rate Care of DLA. 

I will ask the DWP either tomorrow or next week when they contact me regarding an Administration Error on their behalf.

I had my claim assessed by CAB as well in June 2015, nothing was mentioned then either.

Regards,

SteV3.

• Posted

Hi Denise welcome home LOL I thought maybe I had missed something regarding HB and CT something pretty drastic LOL
    • Posted

Hi, 

Yes you are confused. DWP has nothing to do with housing benefit. That’s your local council. You can’t and won’t get anymore housing benefit than the bedrooms you’re entitled to. Like I said being in receipt of either PIP or DLA will make a person excempt from any non dependent deductions, this means that if you have someone over the age of 18 living with you other than your partner you won’t lose any money from your housing benefit.

The DWP call you’re waiting for us for something completely different, it relates to an income related top up on your ESA but that will depend on household income. 

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

No, not yet.

I am waiting for the change to my ESA type from "Contribution-Based" to "Income-Based". Which will, in turn, require me to contact the local council and update them on the change.

I know I am in the wrong group, but I have known for years, there's about a £16 difference per week, between the two ESA types.

I only know this after making inquiries years ago, but I was given the option back then whether or not I wanted to fill in the change-over form. I only opted no, because I thought it was too much hassle just for £14.00 per week difference.

I have enough stress in my life all the time without adding any more.

However, now this time the DWP contacted me regarding the issue, I still had a choice but I pre-arranged the callback, so I all the information they required was in front of me. I also required my wife available because I have a speech impediment, hence phone calls can become awkward.

Thank you Denise, for agreeing that I was confused! What a charming person you are!

Personally, on a patient forum with an attitude like that, I will be ignoring your answers and spelling mistakes from now on.

Alexandria, thank you for acting in a dignified and kind way towards me, considering I worded my initial message wrongly. It would be easier if there was an "Edit" button available, people have been asking for years. rolleyes

Regards,

SteV3.

• Posted

You can ignore me if you want Steve and my spelling mistakes but just remember no one is perfect!!! I never said anything bad to you, I was actually trying to help you!  The advice I give is correct if it wasn’t I wouldn’t give the advice in the first place! There’s also an ignore button if you wish to use it, be my guest. You will receive no further help from me. Enjoy your day now!  
    • Posted

Hi,

I think you are being really unkind to Denise, she was just agreeing with you when you said you were confused now! 

Denise is probably the one and only person on this forum who goes out of her way to try and help everyone who asks a question, she doesn't get paid for it, but she is so dedicated to helping others, that even if she doesn't know the answer she will research the question and get back to whoever is asking.   frown  

I happen to know that she is supposed to be taking a well earned rest at the moment, she too has her health problems, but she took the time to try and help you and that is how you repay her.   I believe in Karma is all I will say. 

• Posted

Stev, sorry but ok your probably struggling emotionally but I agree with Sykes, we are really lucky to have Denise on here giving not only her time but also her massive knowledge base, better than anyone, if Denise doesn't know the answers then no one does and I class myself as having a fair modicum of knowledge regarding DLA and PIP and CT and HB but not a patch on Denise,s.

This site is great for helping people get better results so be aware that hurtful and unessasary comments are not encouraged, I wish you luck with your claims and hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.