ESA Change?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ,

As some of you know my mom is on ESA in the Support group and my sister who lives with us was at UNI but has just found out she's failed her exam's so is being withdrawn from her course, i wanted to ask if my mom's ESA will be affected with with my sister leaving UNI?

I know that it will affect housing benefit and council tax support, my sister might be starting an apprenticeship in September so fingers crossed.

I just wanted to ask if my mom's ESA would be affected with my sister leaving UNI?

My mom's apical worker said it should not affect at all and that there's no need to phone them either as ESA is for my mom not for my sister. My sister is 21yrs old

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I for one also don't appreciate you talking like that to Denise or making comments like that on my thread this thread is about my question not for you to talk to another member like that.

Denise has only ever helped me even when I have misread or misunderstood she's been patient with me to help me understand.

Denise is correct in what she said and is very knowledgeable and as sukes said if she doesn't know she will find out.

I was hoping you would see my question Denise in hope you could advice😊

• Posted

Thanks sukes and Sarah for your support!! 

Sorry I didn’t reply to your question Sarah, just taking a well earned break for a short while so haven’t replied to posts but I will be back soon!

Your mums ESA won’t be affected unless she was claiming the Severe Disability Premium on top but as your sister was in uni then I highly doubt she was claiming that anyway. Your mums ESA is solely her claim. You already know about her housing benefit and council tax reduction. Hope this helps ease both your minds. Thanks once again for your support!!! Xx

• Posted

Thanks , Denise

Yes I know about her non dependant deduction as were charged one for me as I don't work am not in full time education and I don't claim benefits but I am my mom's full time carer. My sister has not been withdrawn after all as her course manger fort to get a chance at resits as she said my sister is such a good student and is so good with the animals ( she's studying animal behaviour and welfare) that they don't won't to loose her and she's been granted resits so things are starting to look up, fingers crossed.

I knew I was right that ESA would not care as they did not care when she told them I was claiming income support and they told her that she does not need to tell them things like that. And when my IS stopped she's never told them since they were not bothered.

And no she does not get a premium. Just ESA income related.

Thank you so much Denise 😊

• Posted

Forgot to say, as she's still classed as a full time student my mom's soical worker said she doesn't need to tell the council until my sister is no longer a student, if she is withdrawn after her resits then you tell them straight away but as she's still a student and her council tax reduction certificate that the council has covers her till 2021 it will cover the resit period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.