Esa contribution base to income related esa

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im new to this and writing this on behalf off my husband .my husband is on esa contribution and work related group ,but his had a letter today saying that in november it will be stopped because his been on the contribution for 365 days but he hasnt long been in the work related group .ive been on the benefit calculator and its says that all we will be entitled to £11.40 a week surely that be right how can a couple serve on that as well as two children .with the income related one does he stay on the work related group or will that stop its all so confusing to me .he has fibro where he cant return to work as he can hardly walk bathe and has fibro fog where he keeps forgetting stuff .any help will be much grateful thankyou

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you swap now to universal credit you'll be better off. My esa also stopped and went on UC I now get £1200 a month

£400 couple rate

£300 rent

£400 not able to work

£150 carers pay

Work allowance of £200 

When partner earns £1000 I get roughly £700

Plus pip. 

If UC isn't available to you not a lot I can advise I had same problem but I've been ill for 4 years with serious illness. 

• Posted

I would not advice changing to UC without advice from CAB or someone that knows what UC is all about. If a person changes to UC from the old legacy benefits then very often they'll end up being worse off.

• Posted

I'm not telling op to just saying I had same issue UC sorted it that's ONLY BECAUSE PARTNER WORKS, so we better off, if he didn't work wed be worse off. Only replied due to me being in a full uc area so all the advice is uc related now, was just mentioning so op knew options to go CAB about.... wouldn't expect anyone to fully take forum talk as gospel before checking in own area wasn't supposed to come across as anything but advice which is why I put a breakdown of pay in,  smile was trying to reassure op there are options not forcing them to claim it 

• Posted

Nope I did write you'll be better off, my bad there! Knew what I meant was in dentist replying YOU MAY BE better off my correction apologies, but it's an option, sorry about that I just meant that I was same but now I'm about £300 better off PLUS partners wage, really helps with carers ect but yes every case is vastly different and I think CAB or a we have like citizens resource as well here, they know best case by case smile

• Posted

The partner doesn't work so they would be worse off. When a claimant migrates naturally there's a protection in place so they won't be worse off. If they change over because of a change of circumstances it's likely they'll be worse off.

UC is very complicated. I know a lot about the benefit system in the legacy benefits but when it comes to UC i don't even try to understand lol. Way too complicated for me. DWP theirselves don't understand it, so i heard eek But that doesn't surprise me either haha.

• Posted

Hi denise ,

He rang the job centre this morning and asked them to explain the letter to him .

They have said because his contributions are running out soon he is going on income related and staying on work support until we put in writing that he wants to change groups .

Theyve also said his on half contribution and half income related untill all contribution runs out .

No I dont want anything to do with uc as ive been on there calculator and we be worst off .

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately being placed in the Support Group isn't as easy as wanting to change groups. He'll need to ask for a supersession. I would advice you make an appointment with your local CAB who will assist you through this. Evidence will be needed because being placed in this group isn't about scoring those points. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.