Escitalopram - How Long? Positive experiences please.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I'm 35 years old and until recently had never experienced any depression or anxiety in my entire life. Nothing happened to set it off, I jut woke up one day and felt deeply depressed and borderline suicidal. I have no motivation to do anything and am also currently off work. 

Ended up referred to the mental health team and have been on Escitalopram for 3 weeks today (1 week at 10mg, 2 weeks at 20mg). I guess i'm lucky that I haven't experienced any major side effects other than perhaps increased anxiety and fatigue, but I dont feel any better depression wise and feel like I am losing all hope as i'm at rock bottom!

I have read online that it can take more time than 3 weeks to feel any sort of benefit at all and I guess what i'm looking for are positive stories from people that were feeling terrible still after a few weeks, but then later it kicked in, just to give me some hope!

Any positive feedback much appreciated! 

Kris

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kris,

I can only say what I've experienced on escitalopram. Been on it a year now. I have found it very good for OCD, panic attacks and phobias but not so much for depression and anxiety.

Apparently it isn't so much for depression so I also have to take valdoxan for the anxiety and depression side.. small doses of each. I currently take 10mg of escitalopram and 25mg of valdoxan..

• Posted

I should have added that I'm suppose to be on 20mg of escitalopram but suffered terrible side effects so can't get above 10mg..

Usually takes between 4-6 weeks to kick in.. some people quicker but if you don't feel any better soon I'd say it's the wrong med for what you have.. we are all different and what works for one, won't for another.. but check on whether it's the right thing for depression.😊

• Posted

Hi Kris, I know exactly how you feel and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression with no trigger or so I thought. If you can get some counselling it may help!

I’m on  15mg escitalopram and have been for a year and half and I think it’s a great med so please stick with it as by week 6 you should notice some difference and I know in my experience it took a bit longer but it was worth the wait!

I know every day feels like a week but things should get better

Take care and keep us posted 😊

• Posted

Thank you Susan. That's really encouraging! I'm so desperate for these tablets to kick in and give me some relief! Every day is a struggle and all I look forward to is bed time.

How were you feeling at week 3 compared to week 6?

• Posted

Hi Kris,

I developed anxiety out of nowhere. No obvious reason.  

Started at 5 m.g.  then 7.5 then at 12 days up to 10 m.g.

I really had no bad side effects except a bit of increased anxiety on days 4-6.

?On day 16 I noticed I felt a bit better, and was a surprised that it had an effect so soon.

?I'm now on day 27 and feel exactly like my normal self and anxiety seems to have disappeared.

It has worked very well for me and I wish the same for you.

• Posted

Hi Kris,

You should start seeing someone results after 6 weeks, for some people takes 8 weeks or longer,just don’t give up medication , because it takes longer time to see benefit , and I know waiting period is the worst , you and including myself thinking this doesn’t  work but it does, you will start feeling better and time will come that you are going to move on with your life and leave this painful experience behind... Good luck..

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement! It really is very much appreciated! I really hope it does work, my whole life is on hold!
  • Posted

I agree with miso, just hang in there and I’m sure you will be pleased you did! 

At week 6 I felt loads better than week 3, you will gradually see a difference! 

The trouble with thinking about when I’m going to feel right is the anxiety feeding the anxiety but until you experience this you don’t realise what it’s like to feel this way, it feels like a vicious circle but please don’t give up, I’m sure you will feel better and when the anxiety goes so will the depression! 

Take care 😊

• Posted

Kris... Sorry to hear u r having such a hard time... I've been on Lexapro for 5 weeks but started out really slow because of being Sooo sensitive to meds.. 2.5 for 1 week then 5.0 for 2 weeks and 7.5 for about 2 weeks now and I'm getting there but it does take time... I've had panic and aniexty all my life and I'm 63 years young...its been a long hard journey but I'm praying Lexapro is the med. for me so I'm hanging on to that thought for a few more weeks and yes there is improvement but it takes time and your body is different than anyone else so u can read post but u will improve on your own time frame...Take Care and keep posting about your journey.. 😊😇🤗

• Posted

Hi Guys,

Managed to be a bit more productive yesterday and cleaned the house and visited some very understanding friends on the evening. I guess I'll take that as a bit of a positive.

Tried to do some more tasks today but concentration is terrible, and can't seem to shake the extreme feelings of severe depression and anxiety and had to take a diazepam to take the edge off.

I worry a lot about the fact the I can't sleep at all without zopliclone which my pdoc says I should stay on until the depression and anxiety has lifted first.

A couple of months ago I was a worry free, relaxed and extremely sociable person, now it feels like my whole life has been turned upside down. I've been off work for over a month, and don't feel anywhere near close to going back.

I know I need to be patient and give the ecitalopram time to work as it's still only been just over 3 weeks, but I'm feeling so desperate at times for it to work!

Kris

• Posted

Kris...we have all been where u r... But just remember we r all different... And the time frame may r may not be the same... I've been on Lexapro a total of 5 weeks and I tried to bump up to 10 mg. today and it's not working.. So I'm going back down to 7.5 and I take it 3 X a day 2.5 at 9am .. 3pm.. And 9pm... I'm very sensitive to meds. So I have to take small amounts at spaced out times.. The reason I wanted to bump up to 10 mg. is because I have a little aniexty of the am and I figured that I needed a little more because of the 12 hours from 9pm to 9am... But after taking my 5.0 this am had terrible aniexty and still have it ...hoping after tomorrow it go back to normal..Lexapro does work on some but u must give it time b4 u give up...take care And continue posting about your journey..

• Posted

Hi Kris, I remember feeling exactly how you felt but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel! 

See the positive of the productive day you had and perhaps make a little diary of your day and I reckon you will see the positives happening more often. You may still get off days but they will lessen off when the meds are properly in your system. My doctor gave me an additional tablet til the escitalopram worked properly so don’t worry about that as that’s feeding your anxiety and might hinder your recovery!  I know it’s hard as sometimes it doesn’t matter what you’re told it’s hard to be positive but it WILL come, keep us posted x

• Posted

Hello Susan. I hope all is well.

I am not sure if you are still on this forum and if you are, i am currently seeking your help.

I have been on escitalopram for around 10 weeks, of which 7 weeks on 20 mg.

While i have times where i felt almost normal, there are days still when i experience severe anxiety or down times. Do you think that is normal? I made a decision to go back to work and that was not easy. I thought i seek your views on my case.

Thks in advance.

• Posted

I had  the same experience as you, sudden severe anxiety and depression at age 37 with no past history of that. I did a lot of lab test and found my blood calcium was  elevated above 10 mg. Please check your calcium level and your parathyroid hormone.

• Posted

HI Kris,  you’re story sounds a lot like mine. How are you feeling now? I’m just about to 5 weeks but feeling pretty bad this week. I never actually felt depressed until starting this medicine but now I definitely am. I started having anxiety attacks out of nowhere, 32 years old. That quickly led to starting this medicine but I often question if this is right for me. I’m trying to tough it out until that so called magical 6-8 week period but it’s tough. 
    • Posted

This sounds as if I wrote it ! I’m on 10mg now 5 weeks 2 days. Doctor wants me to increase to 20mg but I’m so unsure as have never had anxiety before or felt depressed like I do since starting meds. I want to hang on at current dose to 6-8 weeks but doctor , psych & family say to increase it. I’ve been sleeping badly and having awful night sweats, nausea and cold chills.  I too was a normal happy & social person at Christmas time. Now I can hardly cope with my beautiful family. Even School drop offs are causing me anxiety !! Any positives. How are you feeling ? 

• Posted

Well after posting this comment, I ended up going to the er with suicidal thoughts, my depression was getting so bad. Turns out, the Ativan my dr had me taking was actually causing a lot of my anxiety issues to be worse. I stayed 4 days in the inpatient psych unit. They switched me to klonopin so that I could more easily taper off the benzos, as Ativan is harder to taper off due to its short half life. And I’m also tapering off lexapro. I’m on 5mg instead of my 10 and I’ll do that for a week then 2.5 for a week. I’ve got a little bit of a headache but overall feeling much much better. If I need a different antidepressant down the road I’ll try something else but for now I’m coming off all of it 

• Posted

Oh no sorry to hear that! I’m on week 4 Lexapro and definitely feel worse. My anxiety is terrible and I seemed to have developed awful depression. Don’t know how much more I can take! Did you feel better once you tapered off Lexapro?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.