Escitalopram - How Long? Positive experiences please.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I'm 35 years old and until recently had never experienced any depression or anxiety in my entire life. Nothing happened to set it off, I jut woke up one day and felt deeply depressed and borderline suicidal. I have no motivation to do anything and am also currently off work. 

Ended up referred to the mental health team and have been on Escitalopram for 3 weeks today (1 week at 10mg, 2 weeks at 20mg). I guess i'm lucky that I haven't experienced any major side effects other than perhaps increased anxiety and fatigue, but I dont feel any better depression wise and feel like I am losing all hope as i'm at rock bottom!

I have read online that it can take more time than 3 weeks to feel any sort of benefit at all and I guess what i'm looking for are positive stories from people that were feeling terrible still after a few weeks, but then later it kicked in, just to give me some hope!

Any positive feedback much appreciated! 

Kris

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

I’d be very keen to know how you are feeling now? I’m on Lexapro 20mg. Was on 10 for a week and have been on 20 for 3 weeks. Well I feel terrible! My anxiety is through the roof and I seemed to have developed pretty awful depression which definitely was not this bad before! I’ve also started having trouble sleeping. I really can’t see myself feeling miraculously better than this in a few weeks. I have 3 kids and I am really struggling. I don’t want to live like this.

• Posted

Your experience sounds similar to mine, when I first started Citalopram (generic for Celexa). I started at 20 mg., and after about a week started having insomnia as a side effect. When I went in to the doctor, for some reason she decided to up my Citalopram to 40 mg. I realize now it was too fast of an increase. The side effects were awful!

?I wonder (strongly suspect) that your dosage was increased too quickly. I'd give the doctor a call, and get the okay to go back down to 10 mg. Usually, (unless you have a doctor like mine, ha ha) they like you to stay at the same dosage for at least 6 weeks to see if the lower dose is effective.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply!

My Dr wanted me at that dose because I have been on it before and 20 was the dose that worked the best.

I am feeling a bit better. Well my mood has improved but I still have anxiety. 

I do think the increase was probably quite fast though as I’ve only been on a month now. 

How are you feeling now?

X

• Posted

Hi, I no this was 6 months ago but can you tell me how long this took to work for you & did you stay on it? I’m on week 4 on 5mg & I feel absolutely awful sad the first 2 weeks was bad the 2nd two weeks was to bad now it’s got really bad again looking for some hope & advice thanks 

• Posted

Hi, I no this was 6 months ago but can you tell me how long this took to work for you & did you stay on it? I’m on week 4 on 5mg & I feel absolutely awful sad the first 2 weeks was bad the 2nd two weeks was to bad now it’s got really bad again looking for some hope & advice thanks 

• Posted

When you say ‘bad’ do you mean anxiety or side effects? My GP kept me on a long time before advice from a psychiatrist who took me off straight away. I got up to 20mg and had constant nausea & insomnia. I’m on a different drug now and still struggling every day. 

• Posted

Anxiety is bad & it’s peaked again sad why did they take you off? & I assume the new ones are not working for you either? Sorry to hear this sad 

• Posted

They took me off as I was having lots of side effects - night sweats, insomnia , debilitating nausea. I struggled for months. If they started to work for you and side effects were ok then maybe see your doctor / psychiatrist again. 
  • Posted

Hey kris4615. I just did a reply to someone else on the same subject. I post it here too.

My experience. My father was diagnosed with n-stage lung cancer the end of January this year. He died February 28th. I was with him every day in February, yes it was difficult. It obviously pushed me over an edge. He was having problems for a couple months beforehand and I had problems with insomnia at one point had been up 76 hours so my doc prescribed ambien, which got me to sleep . But nights were tense, anxious. Once Dad was gone, the anxiety started earlier each day and it got to where it started every day about 2:00pm. Painfull, dripping sweat, extreme hot flashes, not enough air, closed in. One night in April I was in the backyard, standing in the dark in the rain throwing up. I'll tell you I was going crazy and as far as I was concerned, I was dying. Then I connected with a new doc, was pretty open with him and let him know I was in trouble. I was. He put me on 20mg lexapro per day and prescribed 1mg Xanax as needed. The next 4 days were difficult, as is the case with many getting on lexapro. Then things calmed down. A week later I felt at ease and for 4 weeks I took both the lexapro and a xanax every day. I don't think I have been that calm in years. Knowing the addiction issues with xanax, over the next 6 weeks I wound myself off it. I have a bottle, and once in a while I will take a half of one. Maybe once every couple weeks. I'm sticking to the 20mg, I tried once dropping to 15mg but the sweats came back quickly. So I'm sticking with 20mg. I do have some side effects. Dry mouth, big time yawning after taking it so I now take after dinner. And it does make getting to orgasm difficult. At least for me and is a common side effect. But I am confident with myself and at ease. Seriously, I was dying. Today I enjoy every day. It's only been thee months, but I'm a thankful patient so far. We are all different and each of these mind changing drugs work differently for each of us. I do drink more than I should, no issues so far with the lexapro and wine. For me, lexapro was life saving for now. A year from now maybe different. My best thoughts for you, keep working with a doc and hope you find the same. Best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.