Esmya Tablets Fibroid Treatment

Posted , 151 users are following.

Hello I'm 44 and have recently been diagnosed with a 11cm Fibroid, my Gyno has put me on Esmya to try and shrink the fibroid, I just wondered if any one could me advice or their review as its fairly new treatment and can't find anyone who has tried it.

Thank you

9 likes, 605 replies

605 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hej everyone.

I just found this page.

I am 36 years old and I also have fibroids (in Swedish we call them Myoms) in my uterus.

I haven’t had any kids yet but really want to…

I have a bunch of fibroids and 2 big ones, around 6-10 cm. And the biggest one seems to be just as a part of the back wall of the uterus, not sticking out in any way.

They tell me to get an operation, a regular or an embolization.

I just don’t know what to do, and who to listen to. The embolization technique seems potentially safer than surgery as it is much less invasive and there is less risk of infection and other side effects.

But they also tell me to take injections. So that is why I'm interested in these Esmya pills, or any medication for that matter, if one could eat them without ANY type of surgery, that would just be a dream.

Is there anyone that have any information about NOT having to have an operation made, but to still be able to have children??

• Posted

Hello dear,

I am 51 and took Esmya last year september for 3 months. My menstration has stopped completely. My fibroids has deminished somewhat, but  as they/it were huge it is still there, but smaller. I got so little info actually. One thing I do know for sure, if you take Esmya, you will stop menstrating and go in to menopauze. My other option was having my uterus removed and I prefered Esmya, as at my age I don't need another child. Good luck. Right now about 7 months later I have these painful cramps, like when I use to have my menstration. I have to go back to my OBGYNO

• Posted

Hi Lamypie

I have a very lareg fibroid around 11 cm and i was able to sucessfully become pregant however it lead to complications and i have a planned caeseran at 38 weeks - baby is healthy but was low birth weight when born sad

i have been advised by consultant to take esmye for 3 months to try and shrink the fibroid as i would like to have another baby

did you take the esmya? how was it? 

please advice as i am confused as to what to do 

thanks

• Posted

cookiesson, there have been people who had babies with fibroids... So there is an option not to operate!

However it really depends on the where the positioning of the fibroids... according to my dr i have one that is fairly big as it was 7 before Esmya but now reduce to 6cm. As I have been trying to getting pregnant he said it could have prevented the embryo attaching in my uterus!

Plus if you do get pregnant there is a chance it will grow, causing less room for baby which means premature baby or miscarriages..

So the dr said he will discuss my case to see which Is the better option, and has decided surgery would be better for me due to less evidence around embolisation, plus uncertainty around whether it will damage your fertility?

Before actually going through surgery he wants to rule out other reason why I have not been able to get pregnant? Is it due the sperm? Is my tubes actually open? And whether I am actually ovulating? So we are doing all these test first before I say yes to surgery!

So maybe this is worth you doing this to?

Lamypie

• Posted

Hello Lamypie.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these Esmya.

I’ve done 2 smaller operations before, removing 4 smaller fibroids.

But the ones I have now, will be difficult to remove without damaging the walls… sad

So that is why I’m considering embolization…

But…

I was hoping that the fibroids would shrink more than 1 cm… cause mine is already around 9 cm…

And I know about the difficulties surrounding the embryos not to get attached to the wall and the miscarriages…

But I can’t really try how it would work on me… cause I don’t have anyone to try and get pregnant with… so I’m trying to prolong the time I have. I don’t want to do a regular operation cause then the fibroids will come back… and since I can’t try to get pregnant now…

Well… I need more time… so I was hoping for a miracle pill that would reduce the fibroids and buy me more time…

But… sad

• Posted

Hi Ladies, I started esmya two weeks ago to reduce my fibroids. I have a 12 week fibroid uterus and previously had novasure which did not work. Has anyone got a mirena and taking esmya?

The only side effects I am having is terrible back ache (more so at night) and a little acne.

I have been trying to avoid a hysterectomy but getting to the stage where I think maybe just get it over and done with!

• Posted

Hi anni

I was prescribed esmya - but after reading the side effects I didn't take them. I am booked in for a hysterectomy on 23rd April - if I had taken the esmya it would have only been for 6 weeks - so not sure if that would have made any difference to size. I havea 9cm fibroid and a few smaller ones and was told either embolisation or hysterectomy were now my options. Do you have any symptoms with your fibroid? I have heavy periods, well maybe 2 days heavy out of 5 and sometimes sex is uncomfortable, sometimes I pee more frequently but that is pretty much it, but I know my fibroid has grown as I can now feel like a hard lump. The consultant was surprised I didn't have more symptoms. I figure this thing is not going to get smaller - it has grown in the 5 years since I was first diagnosed with fibroids - had I known they may grow , I would have done something about them then`which would have been far less invasive. I am so dreading hysterectomy (I am the biggest wimp) - but truthfully I think it's probably for the best.

• Posted

Hi there sunshine girl! I dont want to take the esmya either but it makes it safer for them to operate on you? It's like a double edged sword hey? 😳

• Posted

I am now taking my second packet of Esmya. I thought it would stop my periods completely but I am still

Getting them although much lighter. Did anyone else have this or did your periods stop. Pain has much improved hardly anything.

• Posted

Hi sunshine girl,

I have been given a 3 month course of esmya. Last year I had a mirena inserted which took around 6 months to settle but has eventually sorted out my heavy periods, I was only getting a bit of spotting (which can be annoying!). A week after I started the esmya the spotting stopped.

The only symptoms I am having with the fibroids now is having to pee often and back ache.

My consultant feels esmya will definately work as he has had good results so far.

I have been scouring the web for more forums or info on esmya but there is very little out there.

• Posted

Hi everyone!

I have just started my first packet of Esmya tablets - no side effect yet but early days! Although I work for the NHS I have opted to go the private route for treament. I saw an NHS gynaecologist a few months ago and she did not appear to be confident that any surgery ie myomectomy would not end up being converted to a hysterectomy whilst I was on the operating table. Although I have completed my family I wanted to avoid a hysterectomy if at all possible because of the long term effects. I would urge anyone to think carefully before undergoing a hysterectomy, make sure you are aware of the possible effects 10 years or so down the line - the risk of incontinence and prolapse is quite high.

I am hoping that these tablets will shrink the fibroid enough to enable me to have laporoscopic removal - fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi ladies, a bit of updated report here. I'm almost near the end of 3month treatment. (Took me a while to get my order online, defitely a saving compared to ordering my neighbourhood Boots but still expensive as i was on private prescription).

So far, no side effect, except I do feel a bit more tired than before. Not sure if it's due to med or just this horrible weather... My period (which was heavy and looong) and discharges (heavy and waterly, almost had to wear light pads) are both gone completely since I started Esmya so I'm happy about it.

I don't feel my tummy had gone flatter, on the other hand. I can't remember the size but allegedly it's equivalent to being in 6month pregnant so it is sizeable. A bit shame as I was counting on "slimming down in the middle".

I'm due to see my consultant after the Easter break, to discuss treatment options. I'm also dreading hysterecotomy because of recovery period, I've started reading up a bit on embolisation.

• Posted

Hello All,

I have just finished my first pack of Esmaya and not really noticing any change. I keep looking down at my tummy and willing it to look flatter alas my clothes tell another story!!

I still feel and look pregnant!

I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has taken the esmya and managed to avoid a hysterectomy?

• Posted

I finished my course 2 weeks ago, and have had a scan this week - my 11cm fibroid has shrunk to 5cm - so that is a good result, feeling a bit odd at the end of the treatment though - very bloated (like first day period) but bleeding not returned at all. Will wait and see, but consultant seems pleased with result, he now wants to see what happens after 4 or 5 months - and will decide what to do next then (fibroid removal or hysterectomy or leave me be !!) anyone else finished and had results ?
    • Posted

Hi Tina40,

I know that this is a very old thread. I just started on Esmya and halfway into first course. I really want to avoid another myomectomy as I had one 12 years ago which resulted into adhesions.

Please what was your experience after the esmya treatment. How many courses did you have? Did the fibroid grow back? Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.