Estradiol Patches Side Effects?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been to the doctor today because I have to do something about how I'm feeling and the difficulties I'm having. She's prescribed me Estradiln patches for three months to see how they are and I will also need my Mirena Coil replaced in June/July to balance out the Estrogen and Progesterone. I looked up the side effects of Estradiol and I've got myself all panicked now. 

It says that weight gain can be a severe side effect and mentioned thinning hair on the scalp. Both of these things are great fears of mine. I've just spent months losing six stone in weight to better myself and I'm worried the Estradiol will go against this. And I can't stand the thought of losing my hair. I don't know what to do now because of this and just wanted to know if any of you here have used this and what it was like for you? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi bugglybot.  I wouldn't worry too much about these things that you read online.  I am having a Mirena fitted in a few weeks and I was read that it causes hair loss and weight gain and I was re-thinking it because of what I read.  But I have spoken to ladies who have it and say it's great and I see that you said that you have one too and you haven't had hair loss, right? and you managed to lose weight.  So I am sure that lots of ladies on here who are using estradiol already will tell you how they are.   I plan to have estradiol patches also when I get mirena.  

• Posted

Thanks metamorphed. My anxiety is all over the place and the littlest thing sends me into panic. My Mirena Coil has been an amazing thing for me and I can't praise it enough so I can add to what the other ladies have said. Fingers crossed I've had no hair loss and I've had it since 2012. Good luck with the Mirena. It stopped me from having a Hysterectomy and has done a great job for me. Please keep us informed on how it goes for you. We're in very similar situations. I appreciate your post x.

• Posted

thanks for telling me that.  As I said I was anxious about getting it but decided that I would stop reading negative things and see how it goes myself.  It's great encouragement that it has worked so well for you. I will keep you posted about how both that and the patches work for me.  Let me know how it goes for you too.  Hopefully the combination of these two things are the answer for the both of us! x

• Posted

It's so hard metamorphed to avoid the negative stuff while you're innocently looking for help and advice. It's very rare that I look now as I frighten myself a lot and then my anxiety goes up. Good luck to you again and it will be nice to see how you manage with it. Thank you x.

• Posted

hi buggly.  Did you start the estradiol yet and if so, how is it working for you? I am still waiting for the mirena (they want to fit it during period but I have not had one yet, so they'll do it without if they have to), and just want it done now.

• Posted

Hi metamorphed, no I haven't started it yet but I intend to just to give it a chance to work. It's been mad here and I just need to focus as it's a big deal to me. I must admit, I'm apprehensive about the new Mirena Coil, simply because last time, I was having a period and this time, I'm not sure how they'll do it as my menstrual cycle is so different. Good luck to both of us my dear, can't wait to hear how you're doing x. 

• Posted

hi buggly.  Looks like I will be having mine done next week as I am feeling lke a period is about to begin.  Will make the whole thing easier.  I will let you know how it goes. I will wait a week then for that to settle and have the estradiol gel or patch ready to go.  Here's hoping that it has good results for both of us x

• Posted

Sorry I'm late replying metamorphed. Have you had it done yet? If so, good luck and again, please let us know how it goes for you xx.

• Posted

Hiya I think if we worry too much about all the side effects we wouldn't take anything! I started on Evorel continue patches a week ago, which have estradiol estrogen so too early to tell yet, up to now all seems OK no noticeable changes but like I said bit early to tell yet. Not yet put on the combined patch so hoping that will be OK. I guess we have to give it 3 months too see how it goes, then we can always adjust if needed. Fingers crossed for both of us x

• Posted

Hi Jayne I'm on the same patches, been on them 7 monthes and had no problems. They have also helped me a great deal xx

• Posted

Thank you Karen that's good to hear, hopefully they will be the same for me x

• Posted

I know you're right Jayne, I keep telling myself off for going overboard but it's hard not to. Yes, my doctor wants me to try it for three months to see how it goes. I have to do something because of how I feel. And yes, fingers crossed for us both. Keep us posted on how you are on the Evorel. My doctor's started me off on what she called a three quarter dose but I can still use the Vagifem too. Good luck and thank you x.

• Posted

Hi karen

Sorr for Buttington in but can you tells me you experience?

I am 42 , have irregular periods and on citalopram for anxiety. Gp says it the change.

Considering whether I will benefit from HRT and would love to hear some positives.

• Posted

The thing is they have to list all side affects even if only I person gets it
    • Posted

I agree, but it's very daunting especially where hormones are concerned. I have Hidradenitis Suppuritiva that is governed by my monthly hormones so I know how powerful they can be. The Menopause can be tough, I just don't want the Estradiol to counteract all the good work I've done with losing six stone and my hair is my crowning glory, so when I read this, it made me panic. Fingers crossed, I'll be okay on the Estradiol. I hope it does the trick and helps me x.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.