Estradiol Patches Side Effects?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been to the doctor today because I have to do something about how I'm feeling and the difficulties I'm having. She's prescribed me Estradiln patches for three months to see how they are and I will also need my Mirena Coil replaced in June/July to balance out the Estrogen and Progesterone. I looked up the side effects of Estradiol and I've got myself all panicked now. 

It says that weight gain can be a severe side effect and mentioned thinning hair on the scalp. Both of these things are great fears of mine. I've just spent months losing six stone in weight to better myself and I'm worried the Estradiol will go against this. And I can't stand the thought of losing my hair. I don't know what to do now because of this and just wanted to know if any of you here have used this and what it was like for you? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi bugglybot just wanted to say that I'm on tibolone HRT have taken it for a year and have lost weight.

I was on other hrts including Estradot patch but had to stop them because It made my migraines worse

Try not to worry about side effects even if you get them most of them wear off or you can just stop using the patch

Good luck xx

• Posted

Brenda do you mind if I ask about the Tibolone?  I have thought about it, but also talked to a women who didn't like it at all.  I guess my questions would be, why this one?  Did it take long to adjust?  Positives you see?  Cost?

When I asked about it, the doc said she didn't think they sold it any more.  That ended that.

• Posted

Hi gailannie I think my doc prescribed tibolone as a last resort as I had tried other hrts that caused me to bleed and the migraines worse

To be honest I still had some bleeding every month for the first few months taking this and also migraine but the bleeding was lighter I've not had any period now since October 2016

I think my gp said the side effects of tibolone are milder, I still get symptoms but seem able to cope with them better. The last two years for me have been hell, I had extreme anxiety, dizziness, balance problems, I had to resign from my job then I lost my mum. It's hard for me to say how well tibolone is working due to the turmoil that's happened in my life. However, I'm too scared to stop taking it as I remember how ill I was before

My gyno preferred me to use the Estradot patch and take a progesterone tablet everyday but I thought the progesterone made me more dizzy but don't know if the dizziness was due to fluctuating hormones or extreme anxiety, I used to get terrible low mood as well but not as much now

I'd like to know why your friend didn't like tibolone, I have aching calves and a painful stiff neck which are worse in the morning don't know what's causing this

Answering your questions I think it took a couple of months for the benefits to show with tibolone and I live in Scotland so do not have any prescription charges, these are paid by the government

I hope you can find something that even helps a bit to let you have some quality of life, let me know how you get on

Love Brenda xx

• Posted

Thanks Brenda!  This woman I know tried it for the same reasons as you did.  She'd tried many forms of hrt and dosages.  Tribolone seemed like the next step.  But within a week she bloated so badly and was simply miserable, she couldn't take it any more.   She's decided to go off all HRT.  

Glad you've found something that is working well for you.  But sorry you can't really point to some things that it helps. I does make you wonder what, if anything, it's helping.  I'm still going to look into it.  

• Posted

Thanks Brenda. I don't suffer migraines and headaches so hopefully the Estradiol won't cause this. If it causes anything like this though, I can contact the doctor to see what else I can try. I hope th4e Tibolone keeps working for you x. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.