Ethically Sourced Emu Oil?

Posted , 10 users are following.

im 17, i live in england and ive just been diagnosed with LS this week, obviously im very upset as getting this condition so young means that i have to deal with this for the rest of my life, that could be 70+ years! very daunting to me that i havent even started a proper sex life and it may be over already but im trying to do as much research as i can and just try to come to terms with my condition.

whilst reading these forums ive come across a lot of people using emu oil, however when ive looked into the product further ive realised that it literally comes from the meat of the animal and honestly i just dont feel comfortable using a birds flesh to moisturise. but if im going to suffer with this dryness for decades to come then i need to find a decent way to manage my condition, so does anyone know of an ethically sourced brand of emu oil or if not then some kind of alternative oil thats maybe plant derived or doesnt require animal cruelty to be obtained? im not usually like this, im not vegan or vegetarian but i just feel like using the oil of one certain animal for the rest of my life seems so harmful to them and i dont really know what to do.

on another note, does anyone have any success stories to try and lift my mood a little? πŸ˜ƒ

in need of some positivity because this whole condition has really got me down in the dumps, and on top of that i cant actually go to the doctors because of covid-19 (i was diagnosed in a phone appointment) so im trying to manage it in my own way from home

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have had it for a while and use RX Clobetasol when needed. This steroid cream is god sent. i dont have to use it much anymore only flare ups. Use a mild soap. No problems with sex. Your young, wait on that anyway. Were you offered this steroid cream?

• Posted

ive been prescribed the clobavate 0.05% streoid cream the clobetasone butyrate, so far its working really well and ive seen much less tearing during bowel movements and during exercise, and ive seen a huge improvement in the look of my skin already so im very hopeful that the steroid cream will clear up this flare up πŸ˜ƒ im just hoping to find something else to moisturise with as i know a lot of ladies like to use an oil along side their steroid cream x

• Edited

Hi Aamg, well first of all LS can't be diagnosed over the phone, you need a proper examination to determine that's what it maybe, so try not to panic while you're able to get an appt. If it is LS, it can be usually managed quite successfully if you follow the advice given to you regarding medication and regular follow ups for inspections. I find personally, that extra virgin olive oil applied daily, usually after bathroom trips, is an amazing moisturiser. Their are many different types of moisturisers available to buy and use in conjunction with the prescribed steroid creams, given on prescription only. You will learn many tips/advice on this forum, the ladies are amazing and offer continual support. Don't despair, we are all here to help and support each other. πŸ€—

• Edited

thank you so much for your kind words, im so glad that ive found these forums! i have had a proper examination prior to my diagnosis in person and had a nasty flare up in february where i was in A&E and prescribed codeine for pain etc it was awful, my GP just had to make it a phone appointment to give me a proper diagnosis but shes seen my skin a lot before coronavirus started. i will definitely try olive oil as i already have that on hand, thank you so much xxxx

• Edited

Aamg, I forgot to mention, avoid using any soap, shower gels , perfumes etc on your genital area. They will only increase your discomfort, plain water is all you need and your hand instead of spinges/ flannels etc as they can hold bacteria !. Try to keep away from sugary drinks/food, LS thrives on it for a lot of people.Good luck.....you'll be ok ...β€πŸ‘

• Edited

Hi!! sorry to see you hear. I got LS when I was 8 but at the time no one knew what it was. I just remember a horrible itch. Luckily when I hit puberty the itch went away but the white skin and fusions I suffered due to not being properly diagnosed remained. I am now 36 and live in the UK too. Last year I had surgery to reverse the fusion and I have a lovely doctor to turn to. I use olive oil, coconut oil and Emuaid ointment, I change them up. Emuaid does contain some emu oil but other very helpful things too. I think you can do without, the other two alternatives are lovely too. I completely understand your concern.It does get easier, dealing with it. A good diet and exercise is very important. Don't be too depressed, you can still have a great life and sex life too, I do. At least you know what you have and can be mindful and knowledgeable about it. Do check yourself regularly to avoid fusing of the skin and keep things moisturised down there. Best of luck to you xxx

• Edited

to ALL the ladies of this forum....what I find most interesting - and never mentioned - is this seems to effect most females absent of hormones...either young girls (6-12) OR women after menopause....thoughts on that????

• Posted

it confuses me too... even my doctor was confused about how ive ended up with LS but i have a family history of thyroid issues so that could be why x

• Edited

vickie, doctors familiar with LS are certainly aware of it. The gyn I saw told me mine was the result of low estrogen. (I was in my late 60's, had been diagnosed with atrophy 3 years prior but avoided using hormone cream as I had no discomfort and my sister had breast cancer). The connection is made re lack of estrogen because the preponderance of females with it are post menopausal and prepubescent, yet it is now categorized as an auto-immune disease. Then there are women with LS whose estrogen levels are fine. Some with LS also have thyroid issues yet others don't. It gets a bit murky so there is no clear cut answer. Then there's the fact that men have their version of it!

I occasionally remind myself that there must be millions of people with psoriasis yet there is no real understanding or cure for that either. The best any of us can do is to manage it and even that seems very individual.

• Posted

Yes, the problem is found in girls as well as women. But women of childbearing age that should have a regular amount of hormones also get it as you will see if you stay on here long enough. Estrogen and testosterone have not had any effect, so that idea has been thrown out pretty much. Some scholars think it is an auto-immune origin as women with thyroid problems are predisposed to LS. Other scholars disregard that theory and point to a reaction with chemicals. Have you tried cleaning out your diet/house of all processed foods?

• Edited

Hi, though i am a male, ive had LS since about 18/19 or so and have been dealing with it for like 5/6 years, to moisturize and wash with I use epaderm ointment, i literally just buy it from the chemist here in the uk. you can use it to wash with and also as a moisturizer after, its super helpful to me anyway, it makes the skin look decent aswell. the main thing is not to use soap and such to wash with on that part of your body. Also, sugar and stress cause flare ups in me and allot of other people with ls have said the same on this site. For me its sugar over a period of time, but stress is like instant flare up. Steroid creams help to manage the condition well and this site has awesome amounts of information on it. if there was one piece of advice i could give you is to keep on top of whatever your regime ends up being, as its easy to put off maintaining when all is going well and the skin looks improved, cause before you know it things can start going backwards.

• Posted

thank you so much, i will look into the epaderm stuff you mentioned. im hesitant to use emollient creams to wash and moisturise with as in the past theyve always made my skin far worse but im hoping my gp will prescribe something good x

• Edited

r u aware of the ingredients in this product (Epaderm).....they r chemicals...u need to stay pure...try organic coconut oil - its pure and will help u...would even use organic olive oil before Epaderm....just MY opinion...

• Edited

i cant just avoid all chemicals though, the steroid cream is making me better and thats chemicals so im not against them at all, emu oil might be natural but its not cruelty free and thats what im more concerned about morally xxx

• Edited

aamg, a product I have good results with is called nourishing yin oil. I bought it through my acupuncturist but it can be purchased on line. The brand has the word poppy in it. The print on the outside of the bottle has rubbed off, but the base is olive oil with unpronounceable Chinese herbal ingredients. A little goes a long way.

I also use organic coconut oil just to change things up a bit. My gyn mentioned the latter was very popular with her patients. These are just moisturisers; the important meds to control LS are hormone cream (for me due to age) and a steroid ointment.

As my case is considered mild I started with a medium strength steroid, moved on to the clobetasol when there were signs of it spreading, but am now back to the medium. It's important that your doctor instruct you re the amount to use and how/where to apply it.

Good luck. Not getting hysterical or depressed about it is important. As other young people have said with proper maintenance it seems you can have a normal sex life when the time comes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.