Ethically Sourced Emu Oil?

Posted , 10 users are following.

im 17, i live in england and ive just been diagnosed with LS this week, obviously im very upset as getting this condition so young means that i have to deal with this for the rest of my life, that could be 70+ years! very daunting to me that i havent even started a proper sex life and it may be over already but im trying to do as much research as i can and just try to come to terms with my condition.

whilst reading these forums ive come across a lot of people using emu oil, however when ive looked into the product further ive realised that it literally comes from the meat of the animal and honestly i just dont feel comfortable using a birds flesh to moisturise. but if im going to suffer with this dryness for decades to come then i need to find a decent way to manage my condition, so does anyone know of an ethically sourced brand of emu oil or if not then some kind of alternative oil thats maybe plant derived or doesnt require animal cruelty to be obtained? im not usually like this, im not vegan or vegetarian but i just feel like using the oil of one certain animal for the rest of my life seems so harmful to them and i dont really know what to do.

on another note, does anyone have any success stories to try and lift my mood a little? πŸ˜ƒ

in need of some positivity because this whole condition has really got me down in the dumps, and on top of that i cant actually go to the doctors because of covid-19 (i was diagnosed in a phone appointment) so im trying to manage it in my own way from home

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also think using oil from a large bird's back is strange and gross, and they usually don't use the rest of the bird for food because it doesn't taste very good. I read olive oil is a good substitute. However, if emu oil turns out to be the thing that works you shouldn't feel too bad. One emu produces about 250 oz of oil so you'd be responsible probably for only one emu death even if you used it your whole life. I don't have advice on this particular condition. However, I was getting at one point getting constant yeast infections and my doctor told me to switch to natural laundry detergent. I was hesitant because I've had mixed luck with natural products. However, I tried Meyers green soap and I stopped having the infections. It is expensive but highly concentrated. It is actually cheaper per load than the cheap stuff when you do the math. I doubt it will fix anything as serious as what you have but I think it could help when combined with other treatments. Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.