EUS scheduled, what to expect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just looking to hear from folks who had an EUS procedure and hopefully you'll tell me how awesome it was and that there were no complications! Feeling a wee bit nervous....

Also, were your results what you expected? Is this a good test to diagnose very early CP?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm going to be arranging to have an EUS shortly as well to check my pancreas.

From what I have read it is the main test to have for detecting early CP.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with it!

• Posted

Thanks! You as well...when is yours scheduled? What are your symptoms?
    • Posted

Hi, thanks very much.

I've had a worsening of my symptoms and doctor said to call him if it does. So calling tomorrow to schedule it in.

I have strong right mid back pain, which radiates down to lower back and also shoulders. Had it for a year now after a bad alcohol poisoning/dehydration incident and I didn't seek treatment the doctors think I may have had an acute pancreatitis attack at the time and may be chronic. But no ones knows for sure as stupidly I didn't go to a hospital so wasn't tested/treated.

• Posted

Oh wow...so you've been suffering for a year with those painful symptoms...that stinks! Did your symptoms vary from day to day or have you been in more or less constant discomfort?

I hope you were able to schedule an EUS...and soon will get some answers...not knowing what's happening to you can drive you crazy!

• Posted

I know it's been an absolute nightmare.  Didn't realise the damage I was doing by not getting treatment.  Symptoms vary but mainly in constant discomfort which has been challenge to deal with.

Thanks very much, I hope I will be able to schedule it in reasonably soon.  Would be nice to get answers as it definitely has been driving me a bit crazy! wink  

But it's one of those things where while it would be good in a way to get a diagnosis from the EUS to explain the symptoms it is also good if nothing is found I suppose.

• Posted

Just booked the EUS for 2 weeks time.  Looking forward to getting some answers of what may be going on.
    • Posted

Mine on November 13...when is yours? What if it's the same day??!?! wink
    • Posted

Oh wow...we'll get life changing news about the same time...best of luck!
    • Posted

Thanks very much.  Best of luck to you too and wishing you all the best.
    • Posted

Hi, How did the eus go? Hope it all went really well for you.

I did my eus and it all went fine. Doctor said everything looked normal and could not see any scaring on pancreas which was reassuring to hear. 😊 Though still have pain which is unexplained which is annoying but very glad that it gives me reassurance that I shouldnt have to worry about anything too major in the short term.

• Posted

Oh wow! That is awesome! I bet you felt so relieved! What are your symptoms again? Yes, you have to believe that you don't have CP...the EUS is very sensitive and the best at detecting early CP...!

Mine was normal too...doc said my pancreas looked really healthy and I bugged and bugged him for extra reassurance about early CP detection and he said if I had it, he would have seen it! So like you, for now nothing life threatening has damaged my pancreas, liver or gallbladder! I felt a weight lifted off of me! But they said I might have pancreatic divisum which is a narrow duct but an MRI will be needed to investigate further as he wasn't sure if I had that...!

Hooray for a normal EUS! smile

• Posted

Excellent news. Really glad to hear your scan went really well! Awesome! 😀 I've still got ongoing radiating back pain/spasms and some abdominal pain. But I've been so well tested now will be able to put my mind at rest for the moment. And really glad that your mind is now at rest in relation to your health for the moment as well.

Take care

• Posted

I came across this thread today and feel like it could be me wriing the symptoms.  

Do you still have the symptoms?  I too have the right sided pain under my ribs and mid upper back pain.  The only difference it seems is mine comes and goes and seems more mild.  It's still very frustrating as I really feel like something could be wrong with my pancreas.  

Reading yours and jkristin's thread helps me because I too am looking for an EUS to try to rule out.  I'm also very nervous.  I'm seeing my GP today and will see if she can refer me for the EUS since my Gastro Dr. has pretty much written me off.

I had a CT scan, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy and normal blood work and my GI dr. has even said he can "without reservation say i do not have a pancreas issue" and he wish i would leave it alone.

I love to not ever talk about it and I try to convince mysefl to just ignore it and get on with my days but when the pain and discomfort hit and it's so creepy, i become very anxious.

Thank you for any insight you shared.

• Posted

Hi maile3,

Yes I still have symptoms but thankfully they have improved a lot for the moment.  I mainly have right mid back pain and sometimes abdominal pain.  It is definitely fustrating feeling something is not quite right but nothing can be dedected on scans to explain it.

Yes EUS is definitely a test that you could have done at some point to give you peace of mind as it is the most sensitive test for the pancreas.

I have definitely been following a similar path to you as well.  But my advice is that as nothing can be dedected for the moment you just have to do your best to put it out of your mind.   Try to ignore the mild pain as there is nothing the doctors can do as everything is functioning normal according to the tests and anything serious for the moment has been ruled out with all the tests you have done.  This is easier said than done though wink

Wishing you all the best,

Brett

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.